Dempsey, EJ, no Spector: West Ham vs. Fulham October 2, 2010, 10:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by johnsemlak, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hodgs took a perennial relegation team, saved them, then hand picked virtually every single starter save 2 or 3 in one year, then had them believing and playing like a top team. The next year after securing Europe, they went to the championship match of europe.

Sorry mate, Sparky is not in his league. I mean, not even close. He inherited a team that already knew how to play and win.

As with all teams, you wont see the breakdown in coaching up top, you will see it on the backline. If Fulham continues to concede soft goals and gets outplayed at the back, you can put that entirely on Sparky not knowing how to manage team shape, midfield or defense.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    "it is better to be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt"-Abraham Lincoln

3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that Fulham have given up only 7 goals in 7 matches (which is the 4th best goals against record in the league), don't you? If that's being "outplayed" in the back, then I'm hoping that Fulham's backline gets "outplayed" for the rest of the season...

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not in the game I was watching - I was impressed how composed Fulham was and kept the ball on the ground for most of the first half rather than hoofing lots of hopeful balls.

5. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As cliche as it may sound, there is a certain beauty about Dempsey's play. His black eye today, his bloody lip vs. Algeria, his seemingly perpetually bandaged hand...Its all somewhat inspiring.

Looking back on McBride's bloody face, maybe Americans look good in red?

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, ManCity, Sunderland, Villa are all teams Fulham has not had matches with yet.

Wait till they have to play the big boys, then we can judge how well Hughes can coach this team. They had an excellent record against these teams the last two years, especially at home.

I am happy to withhold judgment until then.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They did it occasionally to create a bit more space in midfield but Clint rarely had to up for a high lob and, in fact, was deployed in a withdrawn role a lot more in what was as close to 4-5-1 as Fulham will get.

When he and Eddie were split wide, Eddie got the occasional lob but every ball to Dempsey was played on the ground.

Eddie often played outside the right centerhalf and was marked by the fullback.

It remains to be seen if Hughes continues with this approach but, IMO, he should.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that Johnson was a great teammate today; he did an extraordinary amount to make the team better. But he was a poor player. Averages out to, um, average. Hughes should make him a deal...I'll pay you a pound every time you attack the defense, and you pay me a pound every time you backpass. Johnson has improved, but he's still got a ways to go. But if he can get rid of the timidity, he should be able to slot in as a #3 or #4 striker for Fulham, and be useful in that role.

Clint drew 3 yellows, didn't draw a yellow when he got elbowed in the head, and scored a goal. Best player on the park. West Ham couldn't handle him, at all.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    After reviewing the first 25min I would have to say EJ was not good at all. Every pass in was a quick pass out rather than any thought of scoring, creating, playing football.

He gives up on a lot of plays. Loses every single 50/50 ball and looks to the ref at least 3 times when there was no foul whatsoever.

Seriously, where on earth is the passion?

The ref in this match was an idiot. He was looking RIGHT at the play where Dempsey nearly loses his eye. Elbow up like that is a red if it had drawn blood. Cowardly ref.

10. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Hughes led Blackburn to 7th in 07-08 (just like Fulham the next year) and
    on more points too. As far as taking over new sides, Hughes is doing better than Hodgson so far.

People forget how crap Fulham was the first 4 months Hodgson was in charge. They put together an amazing streak at the end, but it wasn't exactly instant improvement.

As far as talent, Hodgson has been much more good than bad, but A. Johnson was a big waste of money. He did a great job in rebuilding Zamora's confidence. So far, Hughes has impressed me with the Dembele signing.

11. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya I'm not getting the Hughes Hate. He did reasonably well with Man City and his signings so far have been great for Fulham. He knows what he's doing, and we'll see if he can make Fulham perform better on the road

12. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Anyone have video of the EJ penalty claim?

13. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    i think he meant invisible?

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    EJ might have drawn a penalty if the ball had been in reach. But it wasn't.

Fantastic goal by Dempsey. He was outstanding.

15. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    you can give up the least goals in the league but if they are "soft goals" then his argument is still valid. They do seem to be giving up leads a lot so far. That will come back to bite you in the ass at some point.

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland, Villa, Liverpool and on occasion Spurs look rather pedestrian in attack so I'm not sure anyone is shaking in their boots at the thought of facing any of those teams outside of Chelsea and maybe the gooners. Arsenal got tonked at home by the Baggies so I'm sure Hughes will have the boys up for that one as well.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He got a two handed push in the back but the ball was going out of play.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    No Hughes hate at all. I just dont think he is at the same level as Hogds as a manager or in-game tactician. Former players are rarely as good as professional managers.

I just see *signs* of disorganization at the back that you would never have seen under Hodgs. I don't know how many one goal leads Fulham lost under Hodgs, but I bet not many.

19. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait...what? This is really pretty ludicrous. I think what you may mean to say is that there is not always a correlation between success as a player and success as a manager. In other words, a so so player might make an excellent manager while a superstar might not. But thats not what you said, which was particularly foolish given that Hodgson is a former player.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sparky's been a manager for over a decade.

He's pretty astute and not afraid to adjust things, when they don't work.

21. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What "signs"? I seriously haven't seen any. I've seen Brede make a few stupid mistakes, but he wasn't immune to making mistakes even when playing for the genius Roy.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Meh. He didnt get much out of a stacked ManCity side. His wins with Fulham have been lucky. His teams at Blackburn were simple affairs. But as I said, happy to be wrong. He was wrong on Dempsey at the beginning of the year and probably still would be if it werent for all the injuries.

Hodgs went on record as saying some of his players at Liverpool simply are not playing as well as his Fulham players and I agree. I would not trade Joe Cole for Dempsey ever. I would take Baird over Lucas any day (hard to say, but true) Etuhu is better than Paulson.

Anyway, mostly irrelevant stuff. Dempsey dominated the match against West Ham despite being game planned against. Hughes had him pulled a bit back, especially in the second half, a bit the way Rooney likes to play. Dempsey had some bad touches, but the way he was being attacked all match, I have to say he held his cool and his level of play did not drop off dramatically. Also, he was pitched against Parker most of the match and did well. Parker is the kind of player that would normally give Dempsey fits with his pace, but by playing quick, shielding the ball, and at times physically leaning into him he was able to get the upper hand. I think Parker is a fine player with a lot or range and he was mostly spending the day tracking Dempsey.

The best performance by a Yank this season in the Prems.

23. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham's defense: One of the top five in the league. Pantsil was single-handedly responsible for 3 of the goals that went in; hence the benching.

EJ had a good but not spectacular game. He spread the defense, making more room for Dempsey and the wingers. While more in the style of Anelka than Drogba, his hold up play was decent. On top of all that, he should have earned a penalty kick; it was a clear foul.