Dempsey as striker?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dev707, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Dev707

Dev707 New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    In the post game podcast from Canada Bruce mentions that he needs to find another striker and he might try Dempsey in that position.

thoughts?.....

2. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
  3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yes although there is a recent thread on this topic, the specific circumstances of the Gold Cup IMO require a different thread. That thread was hypothetical, this one is tournament-specific.

I was wondering about it, but as I wrote in the lineup for the CR game thread, I think he'll keep Dempsey in the midfield as he's more needed there.

The question comes down to, if Arena can't add another player (striker) to the team then who do you move up front- Quaranta or Dempsey? To answer that you have to name who would replace those guys in the midfield.

- At right wing, which Tino played in game 1, you have Olsen or Ralston being the obvious replacements. Let's say we rest Ralston, who just played. That leaves Olsen who is gonna play anyway. Will Arena play him on the wing? IMO he's done okay there for DCU when he's played there this year (which isn't his normal position).

- At a-mid you have as Dempsey's replacement one LD who's played a lot so far or JOB who played most of last game. Myself, I would save Donovan like I'd save Ralston. Thus that leaves JOB.

So in essence you have a choice of two lineups, thinking that 1) we are going with a 352 again, 2) there are no replacement players allowed, and 3) Noonan is the other forward:

Forwards and midfield here only:

--------------Armas
    Olsen-------JOB-------Davis
    -----------Dempsey
    -----Quaranta------Noonan

or

-------------Armas
    Quaranta---Olsen-----Davis
    ------------JOB
    ---Dempsey-------Noonan

I'm copasetic with either lineup. I slightly prefer the first one as I like JOB being the link between defense and offense more than Olsen. A variant could be switching Tino and Clint: Tino at a-mid, Clint at forward.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Another thought. Maybe where Clint plays depends indirectly on if Arena is very serious about Quaranta as a right winger or if he is just looking at Tino as a squad player who can fill in on the wing in a pinch. Arena had Tino start at right wing vs Cuba, but like Demspey, he moved more forward and centrally as the game progressed as Cuba wasn't threatening Hedjuk and the right. CR will be a harder test of Quaranta's defensive skills on the wing. But then again, Arena just may want to run Tino at forward awhile thus moving Demspey to midfield again.

5. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    No I don't think so.

6. mathiaslg

mathiaslg New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Clint is not a forward. It is as simple as that.

7. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago

Neither was Thierry Henry until Wenger put him there. . . . :D

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    and neither is anyone else on the roster right now.

9. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Wolff is the only true striker remaining, and even he plays a withdrawn position. LD is an AM, Noonan and Tino are wing forwards, Beasley is a outside mid. Dempsey has immense talent but no where to play. Might as well try him out in a bunch of spots where our depth is lacking.

10. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Noonan is a true forward/striker. Anyone who's been following MLS should know that. He can play withdrawn and burn you with his dribbling, but most of the time he plays up top, running on to through balls and finishing off of crosses. He's a forward and he's a goalscorer, despite Arena's baffling attempts to use him as a wide midfielder, a position which he simply does not have the speed for.

Noonan > Wolff > Casey

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I talked with JP Dellacamera last night after the United-Wiz match. He really likes Clint's game, and was with me thinking he'll be in Europe before long. Did you see the strike he made from the right wing that hit side netting in the second half? That rip looked straight out of the EPL.

12. mathiaslg

mathiaslg New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    You can turn a winger into a forward, and Clint isn't a winger.

13. mathiaslg

mathiaslg New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    The problem isn't that we don't have forwards, it is that the forwards we do have can't score. Now, Clint can score goals, but he is far more effective making runs into the box from deeper in the midfield. As such, I would like to see a CM triumverate of Dempsey, Mastro and JOB.

14. mathiaslg

mathiaslg New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Too bad it didn't go in eh? ;)

15. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Touche.

16. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey played a little forward last year for the revs and scored most(if not all) of his goals from there. I think he works very from that postion if he is playing deep forward, but not has a targent forward floting up top. From watching him with the revs most every week one weakness is his game is finshing with his feet needs a lot of work. Finshing with his head is top class.

17. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the podcast last night bruce said he wants to look at dempsey as a striker.

im all for it, hes aggressive enough for it and has the skill. he finds a way to get shots off and as a foward hes closer to goal. i see nothing wrong with it, the idea excites me.

forza inter

18. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Clint played forward in college and did fine there. He also has the ball skills to play most anywhere (with the exception of CB of course), is very very competative and hates to lose so put him anywhere and he'll do okay.

When he does play forward, he likes to get the ball facing towards goal. He will naturally take a few steps back from the AR's line hence he tends to play withdrawn, like it or not.

19. The Big Ticket

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    It's not a question of whether Dempsey can play striker. He can, definitely. Dempsey can play just about anywhere on the field, he's that good. The question is where is he most useful. I personally think he's best as an attacking midfielder because he's almost like a 3rd forward, constantly making runs into the box to finish off of crosses. You get the best of both worlds: Dempsey's skill on the ball in midfield, and his finishing abilities in the box. It would be a waste of his talents to stick him up front and make him wait for the ball. Let him find the ball in midfield, carry it forward, spread it wide, and make a run into the box to connect from the cross. It's what he's been doing for the Revs all season and it's worked.

20. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He kind of reminds me of what they've been trying to do with Kyle Martino at the Crew, but with success. ;) Kind of a cross between a withdrawn forward and an attacking mid.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I've noticed Clint do several times, in different settings...he strikes the ball a split-second before a merely good player would. He hits it at the moment when the great finishers, the Henrys and so forth hit it. Take the goal against Cuba as a perfect example.

I'm NOT saying he's gonna be our Henry, that would be absurd. But he has the instincts of the world's elite goalscorers.

Anyway, it might be time to try the 4-2-3-1 again, but this time, Bruce, tell the AMs not to leave the striker up there as a lone wolf. (Wolff? Wolf? Get it?) Get the AMs up alot higher than they were in Azteca.

22. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    If he was really a striker he would be a striker.

23. The Big Ticket

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Wasn't he a striker for the U-20's?

24. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    You could say the exact same thing about Landon Donovan though. And is Dempsey gonna start at A-Mid over Donovan? I doubt it. Donovan's better than Dempsey at essentially every aspect of the game. I think the key here, and I mentioned in the other Dempsey thread, is that Arena should take the next 11 months or at least several games to try out Dempsey and Donovan interchangeably at Forward and A-Mid to see how they're most effective while playing together because it's looking more and more like Dempsey needs to be on the field. He may end up playing on the right side as a Midfielder, but if McBride gets dinged, or sits much of the year at Fulham again (though I agree he got plenty of starts down the stretch), Dempsey could be a terrific option at Forward, ditto if GAM's toe issue mirrors Lav Coles (in football).

Just wondering. Where does Eddie Lewis fit into this team? He seems to be forgotten in all the starting lineups we've come up with, but the truth is, he strikes me as essential. Best crosser on the team by a mile, and far more effective taken on players 1v1 than Beasley when it comes to the national team. I love Beasley and believe he needs to start, but how you fit GAM, Donovan, Beasley, Lewis, Dempsey, McBride into the attack is a daunting task.

25. The Big Ticket

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I'd rather see Dempsey at A-mid and Donovan as a forward.
    Not so sure about that. I think a player like Dempsey has at least a couple of advantages over a player like Donovan.