Dem Congressman: "If You Don't Tie Our Hands, We Will Keep Stealing"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by shooter6065, Mar 19, 2010.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The title pretty much sums up the United States Congress. Of course, the beauty of this is that it comes from a Democrat but if a Republican said it it would not make any difference because it is true in any case.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...dont_tie_our_hands_we_will_keep_stealing.html

I can't wait to hear the lefties say something like "But it is a BLUE DOG who said it" and not the Obama cult-of-personality part of the Democratic Party that many folks on here support.

LMAO

You can't make this shit up folks.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He's absolutely right. And by "we" he means Congress, not the Democratic party.

3. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The dilema of a 2 party system. REmember what a cluster******** it was when the Reps were in charge? They are the only option to the status quo. Its way too easy for a bi-pole power structure to be corrupt. Too few players to coopt.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's talking about deficit spending, not corruption.

And with that, shooter goes back onto ignore. :mad:

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Couple of points.

A) Thank you for posting something that helps destroy the myth that democrats are for big deficit spending. Many of us are not. Many of us are far more fiscally conservative than republicans who are all hat and no cattle.

B) Your characterization of Obama is 100% off the mark. Throughout his career in Illinois to now, he his not a free spender. He is a pragmatic politician and not an ideologue. He wanted the Senate to create a deficit reduction task force that would have had some actual teeth and both republicans and democrats shot that idea down so that we have a toothless task force created by the administration.

C) This guy was talking about congress raiding the social security trust. Hmmmmmmm. Let me think. hmmmmmmmmmmm. Who was it that talked about placing our collective social security payments in a "lock box" so that congress couldn't do this. Hmmmmmmmmm. That's right. It was the guy that "conservatives" like to make fun of. . . . . . Al Gore. Too bad that Bush and the republicans didn't latch on to that idea in 2000.

D) You are correct that the beauty of this is that it comes from a Democrat. Because the democrats are the only ones who want an honest discussion about debt and unfortunately, there are only a handful of them, so the chance of real progress on the debt is small. I haven't heard a single republican talk about the core issues of our debt problem. They talk about ear marks and the department of education and 3% of the stimulus that they identify as "waste." All of it adds up to dick. I haven't heard a single one talk about real reform of the big three debt drivers in this country.

E) I'd like to know why the site you link to cut him off mid-sentence when they got the "phrase that pays" that they were apparently interested in. This guy was actually making some good points and was engaged in a substantive discussion on debt with a tea bag group and yet, when the sound bite comes, they aren't interest in his complete thought?

4 people repped this.
  7. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Stupid rep system...

8. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Whaddayaknow, I have to spread some as well before repping ChrisM again.

Apparently he's been making waaaay too much sense lately :)

EDIT: Or I have been too stingy with my reps :p

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You laugh at your own jokes?

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    lamoj

11. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, this is actually really funny. I'm adopting this.

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Me too, I think it's assinine when someone writes "LOL" or "LMAO" about something they said.

13. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. What really surprised me was the trend under Carter.

I knew about the one under Clinton, and gave props to both the Republican Congress and Clinton. But Carter had a supposedly liberal Democratic Congress at the time.