Delay went to Court in a RJ Reynolds Corporate Jet

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Northcal19, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Now I am sure this in NOT influence peddling ( :rolleyes: ) and there is no expectation of payback ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) but it does smell a bit when a tabaccy company provides a jet to get a congressman to court where he is charged with money laundering, no?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/21/AR2005102100777.html

Now he says the 'rules' weren't broken, which says more about the rules than about Tom's conduct. I really feel that for the good of America these guys really need to go to jail.

2. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    The whole of the USA agree, but keep re-electing these guys. It is always seen as a problem, but not their guy.

3. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Yup. As long as their guy delivers the pork, voters turn the other cheek.

4. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    I mean, goddamn, he's not even trying to appear un-scummy. Seriously, if I was going down for (or at least defending myself against) some shady money-taking business I'd probably be a little more, uhhh, prudent in how I presented myself.

I just don't understand how he and probably a bunch of other otherwise intelligent people sat down and said, "man, this is a GREAT idea!". For once I'm extremely interested in hearing a conservative counterpoint to all this... honestly, I'll listen respectfully and not be a dick about it - I just want someone to present some rationale for this because, 100% honest here, I can't figure the angle out on this one.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He's above the law.

He still thinks that way, ergo...

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Reminds me of when Michael Irvin showed up in court after the hotel room/hooker/cocaine business. IIR, it was mink coat all the way, waltzing in like he owned the place. Which I guess he did.