Del Piero

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by RicoAzzurro, Apr 18, 2012.

1. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok I know this will never happen, but with Del Piero coming to the end of his Juventus contract in June, and the MLS is a possibility.
    I am curious to find out if any one else would like to see him in a Whitecaps jersey?
    I am an avid Juve fan and have followed him for many years, he a class act, and a living legend at Juve. Even at 37, this year, he has scored some very important goals for the team keeping them in first place, and also getting them to the Coppa Italia final. It is obvious that he cannot play a full 90, but would still have a lot of impact for the minutes he could play (we would have a World Class free kick taker, no offence to Camilo).

2. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    No. Not at all :p

3. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Sure, but it's not going to happen, so who cares?

4. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Too old for MLS. This is a fast and physical league; he could not handle it and would be a bust when you consider what they would have to pay to get him. Speculation like this is ridiculous.

5. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you implying MLS is defensively better than Serie A? Speculation like that is ridiculous.

The logic in your statement was the fact that he may be too costly.

6. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

I never said that.... It is a fast and physical league and would be very hard for a man of his age to be productive in relation to how much he would be getting paid.

7. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Agree with the Shiek. The one thing this league isn't is Serie A.

In Serie A you have an abundance of players who are supremely gifted technical players, which can paper over the cracks and weaknesses of aging maestros like ADP and Seedorf etc.

MLS is too athletic a league with supremely talented players being a VERY small minority sprinkled about in small quantities. Look our conundrum caused by Rochat being hurt and Harvey being "the backup plan" the dropoff is immense.

I would be all for ADP if this was a non-cap league and the money wouldn't have to return value, Del Piero is one of the best players of his generation, but at his advancing age he doesn't, imho, represent good value for money in a salary cap league, especially on a team like the Whitecaps. Where we seem pretty set for attackers and defenders and seem to be a bit short on linking players, with Robson on his way already.