Del Piero

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Robert25, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Alessandro Del Piero has been left out of the squad for Italy's net international fixture and may also have to fight his way into the squad for the WC qualifying. What do you think?

I got to say it was this player who helped me choose to be an Juve and Italy fan. Last season was not one of his best and hopefully he can bounce back.

I think that he will rebound, whether its in the midfield or as a striker. He is too good and a winner at heart. But for now let him work his way back to form I say, it will benefit everyone. Though i have to add maybe its now the time of the Cassano's and Gilardino's in the Italy squad.

2. Calcio fan

Calcio fan New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Ottawa
    I'd have to say that I think it's about time that Del Piero retired from international football. I think his best days are definately behind him and he should leave the squad to the young stars such as Cassano and Gilardino. Although, if he doesn't than I agree that he should have to earn his spot on "la squadra" rather than just automatically being called up because of his past accomplishments. There is a chance that he can regain his form of old and if it does happen it will be great but I just don't see it happening.

I think the same goes for Vieri although IMO he has more of a chance of bouncing back than Del Piero.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I think Lippi is using this opportunity to blood a bunch of new (or newish) players. For injury reasons, there are no Totti, Cassano or Vieri either. I don't believe his national team career his over, but it definitely sends a message to him from Lippi that he's not an automatic choice anymore.

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good Job Lippi! It's about time someone realized that bum Del Piero shouldn't be on the team anymore...Del Piero at Euro 2004 was a disgrace and against Bulgaria he missed anb open net. It's time for Lippi to bring younger ones into the squad. Vieri, i think he has a better chance to come back, but Mancini said Vieri is not first-choice at Inter anymore.

5. TorontoInferno

TorontoInferno New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Del Piero is 30. He is not the over the hill washed up bum that you all claim he is. Calling Del PIero a disgrace washes over the other 'disgraces' on the EC 2004 team like Totti or as i like to call him 'HeWhoSpitsInFace' and Vieri 'ICan'tHitTheSideOfaLargeBuildingFromSixYards'.

I'd like to know if anyone this side of Roby Baggio can overcome such debilitating injuries as Ale has, (knee reconstruction, achillies, etc) in the past 4 years and still have the skills that he does.

Lippi dropped Ale for a FRIENDLY. Why not give some space to some other players who deserve the call up. Its against Iceland for crying out loud; no disrespect intended to Iceland, but if it were against Germany, than i would read more into than i do now.

I have every confidence that Ale will be in the WCQ's coming up soon.

6. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    All the more reason not to have him in the squad....Realistically, with Cassano, Totti, Pirlo and Gilardino being main fixtures in the squad for years to come I really cannot see ADP adding value to this squad.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Delpi plays in a different position than Cassano, Pirlo and Gilardino so arguing to choose them over him is useless.

8. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto

Yeah, I know he plays a different position.....all I am saying is that ADP certainly will not be missed in the squad because he has definitely been a GHOST in the last 8 years for the NT!

9. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Del Piero was dropped for a friendly, but Lippi did the right thing regardless of what kind of game it is. Lippi has to start looking at younger players. Del Piero has never been the same player since his big injury he had a couple of years ago.Lippi has to look at the ones in form and the ones who had a good season. Sure Flachi and Bazzani are over 25 but Lippi is doing the right thing in trying out new players for the national team. The critics ARE right. Del Piero is bad...he helped us to lose Euro 2000 by missing open chances in the final, (He played mediocre at WC 2002, don't use the excuse that he scored against Mexico because Italy would've went through if they lost), and in Euro 2004, he didn't deserve to even take the trip when Roberto Baggio, at 38, would've done much better. Del Piero is NOT the same...

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree that Delpi is not the same, people place WAY too much of the blame on his shoulders.

Delpi wasn't the reason Italy lost Euro2000, the defense was. They couldn't hold out an extra minute. I don't hear people blaming Donkey Delvecchio for the missed sitters.

In Euro2004 he did more for the team than "wonderboy" Totti, same goes for WC2002. People kept clamoring for Baggio, but where was he when Brescia played against the big teams? When they played Reggina he shone, when they played Juve, Milan, Roma etc he was nothing special nor memorable.

11. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Shame Shame Shame.

Alessandro Del Piero was simply amazing in the first month of last season, then injury hit.

Agreed he is injury prone now, but the talent is there.
    Agreed HE AND NOONE SHOULD be an automatic selection for AZZURRI.
    Agreed on current form he doesn't desere to be a member.

BUT Alessandro Del Piero is a GREAT, GREAT player. This is the chapter in his career where he will bounce back and take the lead and regain his NT place.
    Mark my words DEL PIERO will be back, and on his merit.

People forget Alessandro Del Piero is a year removed from a season where he netted 16 Serie A goals and 5 UCL goals, leading a JUVE team to LO SCUDETTO and to the brink of a 3rd UCL crown missing out only on penalties!

People SHOW SOME FAITH, he will bounce back and thats a promise.

12. divineponytail94

divineponytail94 New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Baggio would've scored for the azzurri.....and everyone knows it.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    :rolleyes:

I'm going to save myself some time and second Dante's post.

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suuuure...

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm amazed that so many Juventus supporters believe that DP is done. I honestly, and stop me if I'm wrong, thought he was one of the best players in the Serie A and in Europe. Did I miss something? Did his injury mess up his career THAT much? I'm not saying that it is impossible, but it sure reads like that from what I am seeing in here. I thought DP was not good at Euro 04, but Italy overall wasn't that great.

16. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    I think DP can step back up. Lippi is just trying to send a message to him. He will have to work for his place in the team from now on.

17. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

NOT ALL JUVE FANS BELIEVE
    Alessandro Del Piero is over, he will return and with a bang this term!

18. Carletto Mazzone

Carletto Mazzone New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    People kept clamoring for Baggio, but where was he when Brescia played against the big teams? When they played Reggina he shone, when they played Juve, Milan, Roma etc he was nothing special nor memorable.[/QUOTE]

19. Carletto Mazzone

Feb 13, 2004
    People kept clamoring for Baggio, but where was he when Brescia played against the big teams? When they played Reggina he shone, when they played Juve, Milan, Roma etc he was nothing special nor memorable.[/QUOTE]

Actually Dante, I remember Baggio latching onto a long ball in the closing minutes of the return game against Juve and sitting Van der Sar down to level the score with Juve 1-1. Probably cost Juve the scudetto that year and it definately gave Roma a boost.

Del Piero IS a decent player who became a fuoriclasse to the journalists at way too young of and age. He is a "victim" of being over-sponsorizatto. I am worried that the same will happen to Cassano.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van der Sar? going back a few years aren't we.

21. Carletto Mazzone

Feb 13, 2004
    I'm just answering your question.

He would always have a tough time against those giants playing with Brescia. Who else do the defenders have to worry about? Bachini?

22. Danishrossonero

Danishrossonero New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Geneva
    i think its time for many of Italys old-leading strikers to bounce back. Not only Del Piero, but also Vieri and Pippo Inzaghi. Alessandro has it easiest though because at the moment Pippo and Vieri are both substitutes at their present clubs, but they all have one thing in common : mess up this season and they re over!

23. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ADP is not old enough to be totally labelled a washout. plus he still has too much to offer. juve have not as yet made as tremendous signings, which will require a lot from players like Del piero.

Italy had a lot of problems in Euro2004. Dante has brought those up already. How can someone criticize Del piero when Totti spits at another player and has a poor record in Italy's games? How many goals does Totti have for the Italy?

Del Piero still has great vision, it cannot be forgotten how deadly he is from freekicks, and he is a compeititor. he'll do well and earn a place in the Italy squad while leading Juve.

24. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Id pick Baggio over DP anyday of the week.