Del Piero to NYRB? - an offer he can't refuse [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Poachin_Goalz, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/sitdown-gazzetta-dello-sport

I don't know how much he has left in the tank. I was a huge fan of the late 90's Juve team featuring Zidane, Davids and Del Piero. I might have to make a pilgrimage to watch him play if MLS pulls this off. He has had some nagging injuries recently. MLS needs to do their homework to make sure that he is healthy.

My favorite part of the above clip was the part referencing the Red Bulls "making an offer difficult to refuse." Yes Godfather, he shall join the Red Bulls.

2. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be pretty cool if Del Piero joined NYRB. Instant plus for the Euro's in the area and not to mention he's a icon in soccer. Del Piero and Henry would give us the most prestigious team and the most prestigious team in NA and the world.

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he can get here NOW then ok, next year NOPE

4. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and the world? You've got to be kidding me, little one.

See: FC Barcelona

5. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the interview they said that the story in today's edition of that paper stating the the game between RB and Juven would be Del Piero's last with his Italian club.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a lot of people will be excited about that and go to a lot more RB games...its all in the Name.......

7. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course not like FC barcelona you moron. Don't be so practical you Barca homer..

8. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    Novak confirmed he's in talks with a 37 year old Pires. A 35 year old Del Piero isnt out of the question. Schelotto came over at 34 and RIPPED it up.

all im asking is for him to give us 1.5 good years. The remander of this year starting in July and next year. Thats a realistic thing to ask of him

9. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Schelotto is nowhere near the player Del Piero is.. Del Piero will also help us getting a creating offensive player.

10. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Henry and Del Piero as the #2 and #3 DP's would be brilliant, both on and off the field.

If the team ends up being a goalscoring machine, I just hope they find a way of keeping it mostly intact for 2011 (I know at least Nielsen won't be staying that long).

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    God it would be sick to see Del piero in this league!!! I couldnt imagine how dangerous you guys would look with him and angel up front now that Kandjiis out for a while! Yikes!

12. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    i agree 100%. If the Henry rumors are true then Del Piero will have be be used "in the hole" behind JPA and Henry attacking from a deeper position

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I disagree though on downplaying Schelotto. Many people down play his talents just cause he never made the leap to europe. I can only wish Del Piero has the impact Schelotto has had in the MLS. If he does he would be a success.

Schelotto is a legend, even for MLS now he is for what he has down given his non DP status starting out. If you were a fan of Boca, you'd know how he really was in his prime. IMO He could have started on any of the best teams in the world when in his prime.

14. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I like Del Piero... i like him a lot... but i still think that we should aim for younger talent, even if not that known

This man below is destroying enemy nets in Colombia... at this time it could cost a lot, but the man is very good and has a LOT of tank left

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWYzAL0aK3I"]Giovanni MORENO[/ame]

15. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    IMO it makes no real difference if you go young or old as long as they can contribute. If you get a Montero who leaves after 3 seasons whats the difference between that and Schelotto, Henry, Angel if they can also contribute for 3 seasons? I think sometimes we worry too much about our leagues image to others.

16. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreno would be an amazing pick-up, and I'm with you: I'd much rather have a 23 year old entering his prime than a guy in his mid-30s who may be thisclose to being washed up.

A nice middle-ground compromise would be someone like Humberto Suazo. He'll turn 29 next month, and a DP offer from RBNY could possibly turn his head. Plus I think he'd fit in great next to Juan Pablo.

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suazo would be expensive.

18. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is a homer? And perhaps I should have added a "lol" or smiley face at the end to indicate a notion of sarcasm but whatever, some people just take the bait on everything.

Anyways, I wouldn't want to see any more +32 year olds coming to Harrison. The team has some young talent and getting younger can only mean building a brighter future.

Although, on paper, Henry and Del Piero does sound tantalizing.

19. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    Actually, it makes a tremendous difference.

The difference is the ability to plan.

Get a great up and coming 23-year-old from Latin America. Suddenly, he gets a little ESPN TV exposure and the Euro leagues will come calling -- and before you know it, Jozy Altidore leaves us mid-season on a $10-million transfer and we're left with Kandji-Salou-level forwards.

The San Diego Sockers picked up a 20-year-old Hugo Sanchez in 1979 -- amazing up and coming talent, right? Just the type of guy you're talking about getting. Sanchez stuck around for a whole 19 regular-season games before transfering to Atletico Madrid (and later Real Madrid).

But on the other end of the age spectrum, if Thierry Henry comes here at 32-years-old, we can pretty much guarantee that this will be the last stop on the career train. We can build around him for 3 or 4 years -- maybe 5 years.

That means the Red Bulls can say to themselves, "At 35, Del Piero can partner with Henry for the rest of 2010 and 2011, and then he's done -- which is perfect, because 2012 is when a 32-year-old Ronaldinho becomes available on a free transfer. So first we reserve a DP slot for Del Piero -- get 1.5 seasons out of him -- and then when he retires, give the slot to Ronaldinho -- and then we can get 4 or 5 seasons out of Ronaldinho and build around *him.*"

Unfortunately, due to the salary structure in MLS, we can't hold onto the young up-and-comers. They leave.

But the veterans stay.

The trick is getting veterans who are not washed up.

There's a big difference between a 32-year-old Thierry Henry and a 39-year-old Lothar Matthaeus.

20. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ....right thats why I said I dont see a difference as long as they can contribute on the field :)

21. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Hmm.

- Henry - Angel -
    - Del Piero -
    Nielsen - Lindpere - Richards
    Miller - Ream - Petke - Albright
    - Bouna -​

My only worry would be midfield possession. You'd have a VERY attack minded side (awesome)... but does Del Piero track back and defend at all? Does Nielsen? Richards doesn't. So the only midfielder defending would be... Lindpere? I don't think Lindpere is suited to play the destroyer role.

Essentially we'd be using all 3 of our DP slots on forwards. Not sure that's so wise.

22. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I can't figure Becke bringing Del Piero, the striker position actually is to populated, we have 9 strikers and the Piero will be 10.....Half the roster as a strikers...

Angel, Salou, Wally, Kandji, Giorgi, Chinn, Agudelo and in the way Henry and bad boy Rodger, why in hell will he be looking for one more, when in another departments we have deficiency like, one Center Back or one genuine CAM, where spend the third DP will be justified.......

23. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Backe said that Nielsen plays both wings. What you would see then is something like this:
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Henry, Angel, Lindpere, Del Piero, Robinson, Nielsen, Miller, Ream, Petke, Hall[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

24. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You're right, he's actually better. We still have to see if Del Piero can match Schelotto's accomplishments in the league.

25. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    No Piero in the horizon, that's pure rubish, what you will see is:
    [lineup-4-4-2]Henry, Angel, Nielsen, Lindpere, Robinson, Rodger, Miller, Ream, Petke, Hall[/lineup-4-4-2]