Dejavu? The 2020 off Season, catch-all discussion thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Oct 19, 2019.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #1001 song219, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Sounds to me like you are watching too much cable tv.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    #1002 JayRockers!, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Even with the channel 8 games on local cable/sat, I’ll watch the out of town broadcast on Direct Kick. In HD.

Thx,

Jay!

3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Sinclair the outfit with the terrible camera work, the test patterns, or the live mikes?

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lawns! Those are the worst, should be a hotel there!
    I was really looking forward to NBCSW, I figured it was a great compromise for regular people with cable/satellite and those people who only stream.

I can watch both at home, but also figured it would be much easier to watch NBCSports from out of town.

Sinclair was fairly bad but it was 6,473% better than FLo

- ::looks around to make sure I'm alone:: ... Last year DirecTV/DirectKick showed me every game even though technically I'm in-market so I got lucky

sitruc, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

To be fair to them I don't remember test patterns - but lots of technical issues for sure.

6. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    If it’s Sinclair, I hope there is a compromise for channel 8 telecasts, and it is taken into account that cable tv subscription numbers are falling, and people need an alternative for those games. I’m not resubscribing to cable tv just for DC United games. I hope they understand there is a segment of their fanbase for whom channel 8 is a worse option than Flo.

ImNumberTen repped this.
  7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of Sinclair, personally. They're the FLO of sports broadcasting. That may make them inherently better than FLO, but only because of the availability of the medium.

On balance, I'd rather have gone with ESPN+ than Sinclair. We've learned one lesson and ignored another. ESPN+ is cheap and value-laden. A lot of people already have it, and you can bet the broadcasts would have been of considerably better quality.

8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Are they good? Not really. Are they worse than most of the options out there? Yes. But at the end of the day, we get to see them for free and hear Dave Johnson, so on balance, this is good. I'd rather they been on an HD platform, but this is just not one of those things I am going to spin cycles into. I am at all but 2-3 home games so just the away games that aren't national coverage is all I've got to worry about.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HD.................SD....................who gives a damn as long as it is not that Flo crap!!!

fatbastard repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc, anotherfan, GumbyG and 3 others repped this.
  11. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only good if you have cable. That world is shrinking fast, especially among young people (a key demographic for MLS, I would think). The trend in the attached chart has accelerated since 2016.

WJLA 24/7 News (the former NewsChannel 8) has a reach of 1.2 million people. The greater DC area is 6.2 million people.

As far as I know I will have no way of watching if they go this route.

cord-cutters.jpg

12. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hang up with the NBCSN Wash deal was that a few games were going to have to be on Monumental? I mean, at least it shows they've learned to avoid niche streaming services, but why not just put them on the Plus channel that subscribers can access?

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume because of scheduled/expected Caps/Wiz programming.

It wasn't "a few". it was reported to be 7-8

edit: That said, it still sounds better for maximum # of people being able to see your team, NBC would still be the way to go.

Winoman repped this.
  14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Nope, we’re decidedly out of market ;)

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    That’s a Wikipedia citation from 2001, before dish and directv were added. Could be more, could be less. And that’s households, not people.

Thx,

Jay!

16. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enou
    Fair enough. I should have checked the date.

Nonetheless, my point is valid. Many people don't have cable, including a big chunk of the demographic DCU wants to attract. Going cable-only is a f@#ked-up thing to do.

17. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years when the national tv contracts are up.

One of the stories last year was that teams weren’t supposed to have local contracts past the national contract expiration.

I think they’re going to package every game except for maybe one game of the week or something and sell it to Netflix or Amazon Prime.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget, part of the reason why Flo and DC United hooked up was a) someone in the MLS office apparently helped steer DC United that way, and b) Flo really wanted the entire MLS contract at some point soon.

sitruc repped this.
  19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, God, no!

shawn12011 repped this.
  20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must have made sense for at least some of the owners/investors to move cablecast/television games behind paywalls so they could further fleece the fans. Really shows you where our investor/owner's head was at last year.

21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    so ... let's pretend that last year Flo got the kinks out of their problems during the pre-season games ... and their streaming service was getting stronger and more reliable during the summer ... and that by the end of the season, Flo was going strong and providing some money to the club ... and that the promise of 2020 was looking better and better ... would we be complaining the opposite of going to a cable-limited channel 8?

The main complaints about Channel 8 at that time were: 1) no revenue stream to the club; 2) only cable subscribers could see it anyways

The main complaint about Flo service pre-2019 were: 1) limited to those who can use streaming services

Then why are people here advocating going with another streaming service like ESPN+? You are still limiting viewers to those who can use streaming services.

yeah - the local NBCSN option would have been better, but it was a bit of a poison pill if they were going to cut DCU out for baseball and roundball

Von Zee repped this.
  22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Cable v. streaming is not binary for cable subscribers. They always can stream. When I had cable, I also had ESPN+, Netflix, Mhz and Amazon Prime Video. I was going to have them even if I had cable because they provided content I could not get on cable. I dumped cable and sampled the cable replacement streaming options and finally settled on Hulu+ Live because it had NBSCW+ in its lineup and YouTube TV did not. The selections on Hulu were slightly better than FuboTV. My favorite was Sony's PlayStationTV, but that was axed by the parent. I substantially reduced my overall spend on video entertainment by cutting Comcast cable TV. I assume that those of us who have cut cable TV and set up streaming cable alternatives are not going to go back to cable (at a higher price) just to watch DCU road games.

sitruc and GumbyG repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow this guy Greg Seltzer is clueless.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...-rivalry-matchup-2020-mls-season-greg-seltzer

Your team's top rivalry matchup for the 2020 MLS season | Greg Seltzer

D.C. United
    Like a handful of other clubs, the Black-and-Red have a small ledger of main adversaries. None aggravates D.C., though, quite like the Philadelphia side that lives a two-hour train ride away. Even when they were bad, the Union would still grab some points. It's only gotten worse, and DCU will be aching to shake a six-game league series losing streak when they crash Talen Energy Stadium on March 22.

New England Revolution
    Perhaps no MLS team has a larger buffet of rivals to choose from than the Revs. The Fire, the Red Bulls, and even a younger club like Philadelphia all rile the Foxborough faithful. However, none of them have been as consistently frustrating over the past eight seasons as D.C. United. Just last year, the Black-and-Red rescued a pair of draws with late heroics. These two MLS originals will resume hostilities at Gillette Stadium on June 6, with the Audi Field return leg set for Aug. 29.

jason1551, sitruc, GumbyG and 2 others repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You and I KNOW the answer to the question but Greg is clueless.............

tallguy repped this.