Dein Sells shares - take over talk, take 2

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Aug 30, 2007.

1. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this is all speculation based on the assumption that the one, true, accepted way to success is to buy well-known players at high prices. AW and the board have repeatedly said that money is there to buy if it's wanted, and despite my tendency to assume that anyone wearing a suit is lying, I lack any hard information that would lead me to doubt that. I really think that AW has a different yardstick for estimating the value that any given player might have in relation to his desire to build a winning squad, and that he is satisfied that what he has in hand will do the job. Whether he is right or not I lack the qualifications to judge, except post hoc according to results.

2. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he has always been this way, which, though maybe frustrating at times, is not news to me and others. Some still think that just because they want a Torres, Tevez, etc. then that is what AW should want. And since he doesn't go for them they blame it on some "lack of funds" which just isn't true.

3. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    Who doesn't need an extra 20 million pounds? I'm not even talking about buying well established players at high prices. I'm just saying this will give Wenger even more options to look at players he thinks would improve the club.

4. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will all change once Sports Interactive figures out how to give FM a real youth development system. Then we will all live in harmony.

Edit: I'm watching the Sevilla-AC Milan match, and FSC just ran a ticker across the bottom that said "Russian to up stake in Arsenal". Are they going to buy more already, or is FSC just conflating part of yesterday's statement with some kind of concrete plan?

5. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will 20 million pounds make a difference, when he already has money, looks at his options, and doesn't see anything that he wants more than what he has?

6. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    Maybe his options are limited by the fact that he doesn't have that extra 20 million pounds.

7. Sean P.

Sean P. Member

Aug 20, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eduardo cost 8 million pounds & Tevez 20, so the difference is actually 12. That is not insignificant, as the difference between the 2 players cost 150% of what Dudu cost alone.

I do rate Tevez and think he would have given us an an option that we don't currently have. That being said I am not convinced that his style of play would necessarily fit with ours better than Eduardo who plays in a very similar style to the guys we already have (just with more of a predatory instinct).

8. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    Err, he DOES!!!!!!!

Wenger has money, he just doesn't want to spend it.

Simple.

Arsenal are in a strong financial postion. They have the largest gate revenue in the UK and revenue is "more than double, almost treble" the £260m debt on the Emirates Stadium.

The Imposter:

[​IMG]

9. theotherlebosski

theotherlebosski New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    NC
    Please come take the NHL....pretty please!

10. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This assumes that his failure to spend 20 million pounds indicates that he doesn't have 20 million pounds. Remember, absence of evidence is not evidence of ab.....

Dear Lord, I'm quoting Donald Rumsfeld!!! Look what you've done to me, man!!!!

I have to go file my fingertips off now.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This discsussion of Wenger, transfer fees, Tevez vs Eduardo is getting a little circular and certainly OT.

Posted today on Arsenal.com: http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=480916&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+Dein%27s+share+deal+changes+nothing

Hmm... he's so careful with his words sometimes. And he seems to bend over backwards not to make waves (contrast that to Dein!).

Anyway, I'm taking this last line about deciding his contract next week, with a bit of optimism. :)

12. Skizz

Skizz Guest

That's the point I'm making.

13. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    I have found some interesting quotes from todays papers.

Two interesting articles in the telegraph:

This one backs up what I thought in another post that Dein selling to the russian is probobly because Kroenke wouldn't buy his shares, and mainly because he didn't want to launch any hostile takeover.

2nd Article, contains more defiant words from Peter Hill-Wood and backs up pretty much what Keith Edlemon said, that the board members will NOT back down from any pressure from Dein or Usmanov.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    notice how no english people want the takeover

15. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Com'on man! I believe that from now on all people in Uzbekistan and Central Asia will support Arsenal football team. :)
    He just bought some shares of the club, he is not invading a country in Africa;)

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    as ricks said, the clubs running fine and we have a massively talented young squad

id prefer that than a postential team full of over rated superstars that cost the earth

17. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Yeah when you look at short term success and forget the fact that the prices have risen by a huge amount there you can think they have done well. Thats exactly why the English fans on here don't want Kroenke.

18. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just to answer a footballing point, I'm not sure how much more wrong you could be. Tevez likes to come off the front, receive the ball to feet and get at the defence. That's exactly what Van Persie is good at. We needed a predator in the box to finish the chances we create. That's exactly what Eduardo is good at. If you want proof, I point you at the third goal against Sparta Prague last Wednesday. Four yards out on the end of a cross, exactly what we've been missing (and what Wenger has many times said he's been searching for) for years. Wenger bought the player he thought we need, not another player who plays the same way as one we already have just because he's available.

To the more general point of Dein and his new backers. I think that Dein really is an Arsenal fan and as such I wouldn't mind seeing him involved with the club in some capacity. After all, he did much good for us when he was vice-chairman. It's the way he's gone about it that grates on me. His ducking and diving and selling his shares only to apparently retain control over them shows someone who wants to get back in control at all costs, someone whose personal ambition has overtaken his once obvious desire to do whatever is in the best interests of the club. Hopefully he can somehow reconcile his differences with the other board members and come back onto the board that way. Otherwise I can only see a protracted and bloody battle for the club which is in no-one's interests.

19. Skizz

Skizz Guest

The prick speaks out again.

I am tickled pink particularly by his continued use of the term "we" when describing Arsenal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6974894.stm

20. G dot Ozo

G dot Ozo New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    NJ
    Hahaha that didn't take long. As suspected, he's already stepping in and taking full credit for Wenger signing a new deal. Pathetic.

21. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    some more quotes from the board...

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7181632

22. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    Looks like Fiszman is in it for the long term, and wants to keep his shares even after the lock down is over.

I am glad that AST has finally picked a side, they seemed not against a takeover before.

I don't think Deins comments are any way valid, and until Arsenal start getting into big debts, and do badly in the league and don't qualify for the CL, then Ill listen to a takeover.

Also, I was completley taken aback by the TOTAL MORON who decided too spell Fiszmans name wrong in an article at goal.com and call him "fisherman" all the time. What kind of journalism is this?

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=403011

23. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
  24. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Nor do many Yanks!

If anyone is still in favor of an internationally-based takeover, well, I just think we need to remember that Faust fellow.

25. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    I just wish Fiszman hadn't sold his 629 shares to Kroenke, which have him ownership of less than 25% of the club because he loss the veto rights over any future changes to the company statutes, he isn't in such a strong position.