Defour on the move to Ajax?

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Jin1988, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Jin1988

Jin1988 New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    I saw something on TV about Steven Defour going to Ajax for 6 MILLION:eek: ??? is that true and what kinda player is he?

2. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    He's one of the biggest talents I've ever seen in Belgium. He's an attacking midfielder who only recently turned 18 years old. He's got an excellent technique, good shot, nice passing and an enormous amount of leadership qualities. This year he has been the leader of the team although he's only very young. His vista is great and he has been compared to the young Enzo Scifo, although he reminds me more of Wesley Sneijder (but with a long shot that is a bit worse and a better overview). He's a very small player but he knows how to use his body well. Genk made clear that they wouldn't let Defour leave because he is the new leader of the team, but the guy surprised everyone by saying he wouldn't mind going to Ajax (although he said before he wouldn't leave Genk yet). Now Genk has to talk and I suppose they are asking a lot of money. 6M is a good price IMHO.

Even though he has all the qualities to succeed in Amsterdam, I fear for the dressing room atmosphere and how he will react to that.

3. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Wouldn't it be best if Defour stays at Genk another year to get more experience in the Belgian league. I mean would he even start at Aj*x? But maybe this is the closet Genk supporter in me talking ;).

4. Jin1988

Jin1988 New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Well u have a point there, but remember the WC still have to begin! in the Dutch Squad most of the players are from Ajax and if Holland plays well some players will probably be sold, so I think Ajax is preparing for that?

5. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I don't know. If Sneijder leaves it might actually be a good move. But I think it's always dangerous for a young talent to go and play in a 'difficult' team like Ajax. I somehow get the impression that he's ill adviced and that his parents have little to say about his future. His father said some months ago that if he were to choose, Steven wouldn't leave Genk the first years. Seems he has little to say about his son.

Also, now that we have such a talent he wants to move to another competition immediately. For the league it would also be better if he stays.

6. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    The Best Carreer Move for him would be to go to Anderlecht first. then, when he's 20 or 21, he could move to another club. He'll never make ik to the real top, though, isn't THAT good. a bit overrated, his last gew games weren't good at all by the way. He ain't no kompany :cool:

7. Jin1988

Jin1988 New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    I think Vermaelen is better then Kompany, but thats my opinion. You cant say for sure that Kompany can handle the best strikers of the world... He has no experience against good teams yet

8. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Have you ever seen Kompany play?

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    :rolleyes:

10. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    According to SM/VM Ajax is also interested in Pocognoli.

11. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Genk and Ajax met for the last time and didn't reach an agreement. I suppose Ajax and Defour will play it dirty now...

12. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Figures they would :rolleyes:.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    How much are Genk asking for Defour?

14. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I believe they see the 6m euros as a minimum. That's a lot of money for an 18yo.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If that's what they are asking, they are dreaming indeed. :p

16. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    ehr...
    Kompany has played more topgames than Vermaelen.
    his first match EVER for the elite-team was a CL-game against CELTIC (Larsson,Hartson) . he has since then played against Chelsea, Betis (r.oliveira) , Bremen (klose,klasnic), Lyon, Valencia, Inter Milan (adriano :rolleyes: ) and many many more.
    Kompany has played a nice amount of matches with the national team too, where he has never failed to deliver => Vermaelen has only played one game with the national team...
    Kompany has been invited to play with a World Selection twice (aids-campaign) where he played with and against Owen, Deco, Messi, Baraja, ronaldinho, henry, shevchenko, zidane, beckham, ballack, eto'o, ronaldo, cafu ...
    Kompany was 9th in the award of most promising player in europe (2004) and 6th in 2005.
    He now moved to Hamburg (highest transferfee ever for hamburg), and you still think vermaelen is better ? haha

17. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Defour has broken his contract with Genk using the law of 1978. It's a shame. :mad: Succes has gone to the kids head. Well, I hope he succeeds in his new club, but on the other hand I would like to see him with both feet on the ground again.

Is this the new big talent lost for top football because of his rotten mentality?:rolleyes:

18. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow, interesting development. So is heading to Ajax for sure now?

19. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Well, I suppose the move was 'inspired' by Ajax, so yes...

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I hope the little prick fails miserably...

His own father apparently said in an interview that success has changed his son for the worse. I guess this is a result of that.

21. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    The dark side is within him now...:D

22. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They are saying in an Ajax thread that the club has given up on landing Defour and was not involved at all with how he left Genk. And they apparently do not want to sign him now because of how he left. I'm sure there are going to be clubs that will come in for him, even if Ajax doesn't bite.

23. O-side

O-side New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Verviers/ Belgium
  24. O-side

O-side New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Verviers/ Belgium
    :eek: no my friend, he has no experience against good teams yet :rolleyes:

Inter
    Chelsea
    Bremen
    Lyon
    Celtic
    Valencia
    Betis
    Liverpool

National teams
    Spain
    Serbia
    France
    Germany

25. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    It's awfully silent around Defour. What's happening?