Defoe and Zamora swap

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by chriswalk27, Feb 2, 2004.

1. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,31-1121828,00.html

I guess this deal might get done after all. I like it but am not for sure how Defoe and Keane will work together, might be better suited for when Kanoute comes back. Guess the guys in charge don't like what they see from Postiga, which is sad since I think he will be a great player if we give him some more time.

Chris Walker

2. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    I dislike this deal if it is the reason the Robbo deal didn't go through. I think a backup keeper is much more important than getting a fourth striker. Would have really liked to see us actually address our needs and get another midfielder or central defender but oh well I guess defoe will at least add some more pace if he plays super sub role for us.

Chris Walker

3. Joe E

Joe E New Member

May 9, 2003
    london
    i know this seems like a strange deal, getting yet another striker when other areas need strengthening, especially keeper and dmc, but you have to be happy about a player of his class arriving. when was the last time we got someone that real contenders like united, chelsea and the scum all wanted? i'm delighted. but i wish we'd addressed other weaker areas too, i agree with you on that...

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Sheffield Wednesday
    England
    Nov 7, 2001
    What are you whinging about??
    Defoe is a much sought after striker.

If robinson had signed then keller would've been on the bench .You should be happy.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have a right to whinge because the club paid a lot of money for a player it doesn't urgently need.

I rate Defoe as much as the next man, but we're not Chelski, he's not a one-man-army and West Ham weren't in a position to ask for so much money for a player who blatantly doesn't want to stay with them and who is out of contract at the end of next season.

We already bought 3 strikers for big money in the summer, are the club going to keep buying them Ridsdale-style in every transfer window???

6. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Absolutley Sinner. I cant believe some of my fellow Yids. FFS Defoe was courted by Man u, Chelsea and Arsenal, and with Kanoute playing silly buggers, it's a quality signing. It really depresses me to see how much we whinge. Moan moan moan. Will you lot ever be happy ? Get behind the club please !

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, so because he was allegedly courted by some big clubs that makes it the best possible move to splash out on him in this transfer window?

If the big clubs were genuinely interested then why did ManYoo splash out nearly 13 million on Saha instead? Why did A*senal pay 17 million on Reyes? Why did Chelski not even offer a bean?

I'm not complaining about his quality and will back him to the hilt now he's here, but it's signings like this which aren't always in the best interests of the club. Like paying 11 million for Rebrov, a big chunk of the transfer fund on one player who may not make a whole lot of difference. I don't think Defoe will end up like Rebrov, but it doesn't leave a lot for the other holes in the team.

8. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Well done sendorange.. you've stuck to your guns as i know you arent the biggest defoe fan... :)
    I rate him a little higher than you...
    decent signing by you lot~

phishy~

9. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Spurs are nuts. Are they going to play a 3 defenders 3 midfielders and 4 strikers now. That would be interesting.

10. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia

What I am discussing is the fact Tottenham don't need another striker and this is just another reason we are 13th in the league and not 5th or 6th. If we actually addressed our needs and got a def. midfielder or spend that same 7 mil and get a badass central defender the team is improved more than going out and paying too much for a guy who in my book wouldn't start over Kanoute or Keane and I don't like playing a 4-3-3 setup because we are weak enough in defense as it is.

I don't think Keller is playing all that well and we could really use a good backup which either one of those two keepers would make. Besides the fact that Robinson would have stayed at Leeds this year anyway if we could have done the deal, we could move Keller in the summer or just have them fight it out for the keeper spot.

Sinner, just because I am from America doesn't mean I think Keller is the greatest keeper on the planet like most of these newbies on here. I like Keller and want him to do well but that doesn't mean I am not realistic and see he isn't performing like he did two or three years ago.

Just like Sendo has stated, I am going to pull for Defoe and hope he kicks ass for us but that doesn't mean I am going to stop evaluating what Tottenham does. Maybe if Leeds had evaluated their transfer dealings a little better they wouldn't be in the mess they are right now.

Chris Walker

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Although there are reservations I must say I am still excited by the signing of Defoe, he's a big talent, it's a big wad of money and I'm really looking forward to seeing him get in there and score goals. He's not cup tied, so he'll be ready and available for this season's FA Cup as well.

It's great for the club to show that the money is there and they're willing to spend it. Get a top manager in the summer, sign a few more necessary but cost-effective players like Robinson and we should definitely be aiming at top 6 next season.

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Like the player, dislike the price, and seriously question the logic.

I'm with Sendorange on this one. I think Defoe is an exciting prospect, and for 2M or 3M yeah, it would have been a good move, but 7M?!?!??!?

I must admit, my second thought was that Spurs may be headed down the Leeds administration road, and that scares me. Foolhardy spending. I'm having nightmares of Robbie Fowler, and it's soooooooooo unneccesary. What Spurs need is a coherent midfield, what they're getting is a lot of high energy forwards who are guaranteed to get frustrated.

Consider the fact that Zamora and Defoe together amounts to almost what Manchester United paid for Saha, who is big, fast, and far more proven than Defoe.

And my first thought was ... WTF, we could have gotten Van Bommel OR Diego for that kind of money. While I'm not a proponent of letting Robbie Keane go (IMHO, he's our best forward), nor am I high on letting Postiga go, I do feel that one MUST leave if we're investing so much money into Defoe. MVB or Diego could have made an instant impact, whereas Defoe's speed will not work as well if he's paired with Keane or Postiga.

What is Levy thinking?

I know everyone thinks Keane can operate in midfield, but I'm firmly not one of those. He's a withdrawn forward who needs to be free to float behind a target striker, which is why he does so well when paired with Kanoute, our only true target forward.

And Robinson too, so they were going to spend 9 freakin million pounds and still have ZERO left backs, too few center backs, ZERO Dmids, and a hodge-podge of mis-matched attacking midfielders who will never play together long enough to build a rythem. I hate to say it, but being a Leeds fan, I honestly believe that Robinson--while good and improving--is not as good as Keller. Robbo must be thankful it fell through, because with Spurs sieve of a midfield and too few defenders, Robbo would not have fared very well. I guess in the end it may be the same, as he was going to be loaned back to Leeds United anyway.

Welcome Defoe, best of luck. IMHO, he's a very good talent ... but sometimes the moves just don't seem to make much sense to me. Now I only hope that his attitude stays good once the new coach comes in.

-Digital

13. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Saha cost United 12m, Zamora and Defoe cost £7.5m, thats not even close.

The resons we need Defoe is that Mr Hoddle wasted 7m on two strikers who have managed one premiership goal between them this season. Time run out for them. We need three quality strikers and now we have them. Defoe has scored goals in the prem and he will again. Kanoute is also *#*#*#*#*#in us off with his Mali exploits (wrightly or wrongly). There is talk of him missing games next season for olympic qualifyers now. Enough is enough as far as I am concerned. Defoe was available, we had to get him. Quality players are few and far between. Of course we need a central mid, but I guess no one was available and we dont know what is going on behind the scenes. I would have liked to see us move for Butt, but he wasnt prepared to move from United and for all we know we may of enquired on him.

I am sure a defender and midfielder will follow in the Summer. You lot should take heart from today. To suggest we are going down the Leeds route is frankly absurd. The money they spent compared to what we have is miles apart. 15m was made available through a share fund. We are not getting in debt.

C'MON U SURS

14. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    I am all for bringing in talent when it is there for the taking but Defoe for 7 mil is not a deal. They were going to have to get rid of him before long and we did them a huge favor and overpaid for him and gave up on a tall striker in Zamora who was never given a chance to score any goals. I am also sorry but I don't see how we couldn't bring in a high quality midfielder for 7 mil pounds??? There has got to be some deal we could have struck with someone out there, even if it meant not getting him until the summer we should fill our holes not dig ourselves bigger holes. I would rather have just saved the money and spent it in the summer if we had to so we could fill those huge holes that are why we are 13th in the league and not 6th or 7th. Now I may have gone overboard with us going down the same route as Leeds but I want to get some return on the money we spend, something we are not known for doing. Rebrov and others come to mind. Anyway, it is done and I hope that this works out for us and we can just outscore the rest of the league because we aren't going to stop anyone with what we have now.

Chris Walker

15. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with that. Although I would have liked to knock a couple of million off the fee seeing as we were giving them Zamora permanently. Saying that, we certainly haven't spent all our money and for top quality like Defoe then top money has to be paid.

Zamora and Postiga were struggling and looked unlikely to be much more than decent after eventually adapting (if ever). With Defoe, Kanoute (who I think does still love us) and Keano, we have a trio of great forwards who can score in the Premiership for fun.

Comparing Saha to Defoe is inaccurate, not only are they very different types of players, but before this season Saha's scoring record in the Premiership is poor and he's a lot older than Defoe. Defoe does give us someone up front with great pace and consistent scoring, Postiga is too slow, Keano is not the quickest and not a consistent one-v-one finisher, and Kanoute is a target forward.

I rate Robinson a bit higher than Keller, although I would be happy to have both of them. Keller is a good shot stopper and experienced, but the distribution and dodgy link with the defence are big problems which put pressure on the team. Robinson has no such flaws, and in a much more stable environment like Tottenham he'll flourish even more as he keeps gaining experience.

Come the summer I'm sure the club will pick up a few more top players to make the team stronger.

16. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    With regards to Zamora, I thought of the Don King "You couldn't give me one lousy Round!" line in The Simpsons. Well, he couldn't give you one lousy Season.

17. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey, if you're going to make a post like that in here at least make it either humorous, or on a level of intelligence above that of freshwater plankton.

18. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    What do Spurs need?

I am curious about Spurs attempted signings of Paul Robinson and Jermaine DeFoe. For a total of almost £10 million, they would be adding to positions where they are actually fairly strong. Granted depth at 'keeper is always a concern, but the young Canadian (Hirschfeld?) seems to be a good understudy.

And at striker - Spurs already have Keane and Postiga fighting for the same spot that DeFoe will be hoping to win. Kanoute will be an ever-present when he returns, surely.

I don't envision how the midfield can hold Dalmat, Davies and Keane at the same time. Possibly, but that seems to give up a lot of steel in the interest of flair and pace. There is only so much that an aging Poyet, Ledley King (in a def mid role), etc can do as ballwinners. Rohan Ricketts and Michael Brown are possible prospects as future all-arounders in midfield, but whether they are ready for a Premiership run-in remains to be seen.

Why is no move being made to strengthen the defense?

And regarding the pot of cash Levy is raising by reducing the equity of the rank-and-file shareholders - how much of that is going to go towards the sizeable transfer fee Inter is likely to demand for Dalmat? If he is not signed, Spurs will be at square one on the left side (once again) and/or relying on Christian Ziege to be healthy. Stephen Carr also seems to be on the way out and will likely require some outlay to replace (unless Spurs revert to a 3-5-2).

Dean Richards, Anthony Gardner and Mbulelo Mabizela seem to be the weakest part of the club (apart possibly from a lights out defensive midfielder) and it seems like a top central defender would be more beneficial at this point in the campaign to a club that has leaked 33 goals.

19. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    Re: What do Spurs need?

Here is what I think Tottenham were trying to do with their attempted signing of Robinson and the signing of Defoe. Robinson is the understudy to Keller who at 34 doesn't have too many great years left in him, and who has also said he wanted to finish his career in MLS.

With Defoe I think they saw a opportunity to get a high quality 21 year old. I am starting to think they don't have to move any striker on the books because Kanoute is going to be gone next year for Olympic qualifying for Mali for a decent amount of time so we would be down to three strikers, which is something you have to have to survive with injuries, which Kanoute is also prone to. They could also do something next year like loan Postiga out and let him get more playing time until he is ready once Kanoute comes back.

As to your concerns about midfield and defense I think Tottenham tried to get those players when they tried to get Convey, Diego, and Andy Reid. As for defense I actually think Richards is pretty good, just injury prone. Mabizela is going to be great in a year or two. I think Gardner could really be great this year if he got a little bit nastier, he seems to be afraid sometimes, which I think will come with time and King and Carr are pretty solid.

Our midfield now is pretty weak with aging players like Poyet and Anderton getting way too much time in the squad but Dalmat has been impressive most of the time and Davies will continue to improve once he gets in better shape (coming off an injury). Like you said Brown and Ricketts are the future and just need time.

Just think if Tottenham had Convey/Diego in the middle with Davies and Dalmat and Johnnie Jackson on the left, might be a little weak with not much defense but I think they could create a whole lot of chances for our 4 strikers.

The key here is that from what I have read most of that 15 mil transfer fund is still there for the summer where we can actually address the midfield and one more central defender.

By the way does the SC stand for South Carolina? I went to Clemson and was just wondering where you were from.

Chris Walker

20. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Liverpool_SC, I think you're quite right about most of it, though many of my fellow Spurs fans don't agree. I've never thought King was as good as the hype, and given that he's injury prone, I don't think you can build a defense with him. Gardner is the only organizer we have, and he's spotty sometimes as well. Gardner has the physical tools and is actually having a good year, but he hasn't put it all together yet, and he doesn't have that killer instinct. I don't know what to think of Mabizela, as he hasn't really played enough to evaluate as a central defender. Clearly central defense needs to be bolstered. It sickens me to see Van Buyten move to the team we just played, as he would have been a huge upgrade.

But the glaring problem is Dmid, or should I say, the lack thereof. None of our midfielders is a true ballwinner. We have no midfield organizer, and Pleat plays musical chairs with the lineups so we've never developed chemistry or rhythem. Also, we seldom play complimentary combinations. I haven't the foggiest why Ricketts cannot get on the field, because as long as we're putting on our offensive players, he's been a real revelation. This team needs to improve the midfield. Other than Davies on the right, everything is negotiable. I like Redknapp, but his injuries make him undependable. Dalmat is a loan and not likely to be bought. Brown isn't a top player IMHO, but I'm willing to give him time, and I do like his dedication to defense given his offensive pedigree.

Defoe is a very good young player, but I would have preferred to see Van Bommel brought in to solve our problems in the center. He can play Dmid and command the midfield while still adding a lot to the attack and controling the flow of the game.

I know Spurs are still targeting Convey. BTW, Convey scored two goals (the first and the game winner) to continue his torrid streak. His teams (this time US U-23) have been scoring very well with him running the show.

-Digital