Definition of kickin' ass (Beasley's team)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 7, 2004.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

you guys are kidding right? no one else with more history than aberdeen, hearts and hibs? huh?

AJAX, feyenoord and psv have 6 european cups and 4 uefa cups between them with each side having won each tourney at least once... celtic has one european cup, and that's it for scotland

i think its also pretty safe to say that AZ would win the SPL this season, and that heerenveen, utrecht and a couple other sides are easily better than what passes for pretenders in scotland

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with this......

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Didn't the Rangers win a Cup Winners Cup in 1972?

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

rangers actually won two in the early 70's (AJAX has one CWC), but i didn't include those because i didn't want to confuse those new to uefa football :D

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Aberdeen also won a CWC, beating Real Madrid in 83.
    My comments were not meant to belittle Ajax and PSV, but on the overall competiveness of the league, which they dominate ( forgot feyenoord). While I'm not sure at all Utrecht dominates the spl, not even without the old firm,
    I was overstating. Outside those who rule, the leagues are similar: good tradition, passionate fan support, better history than present (leagues hurt by bosman), struggling to find a financial way back in (which is why the top few clubs of each league are front and center in the super league proposals).
    Holland, obviously has a wonderful tradition, and still produces a very high level of play. Scotland may have slipped more, but it isn't long since Scottish players were considered among the artists of the game. Still, I admit I underestimated Holland.

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Do you the last time any Euro top or middle league team had 1000 straight (League) shutout minutes? What is this talk that Hanneman once had something of this sort?

Regardless of the remaining league quality, this has to be at/approaching unprecedented levels...

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was in Readings first year back in the first (now CCC). I love Reading, but I wouldn't compare the old first to a top euro league, which, by definition, it's not. i do think it's a really good second flight.

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    1030 straight shutout minutes and counting....23 GF, 0 GA during the streak...

9. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    1020 minutes now I think.
    Dutch record is still held by Ajax, 1082 mins in 1971.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Nope, 1030...

Here's a link to the last game in which an opponent scored-

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=158857&cc=5739

990 min. + 40 min= 1030 min.

10 wins and 1 tie over 11 games...

They have scored 24 goals without answer (including the final goal in the 2-2 tie, last time someone scored.

Crowd should give Eindhoven a standing ovation when the other team finally DOES score!

11. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    1020 or 1030 depends on whether you count the last 10 minutes of the match against ADO den Haag or not.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Was that the match that was suspended (or something like?)