Defense is better but now the offense sucks - 2021 Jan Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Nov 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they not prioritize backups for Tierney and Leno?

For me those are right up there with CAM

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #577 chjoak, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Agreed. Think they tend to focus on how the starting lineup can be fixed. For me, i think the priority for Jan should be CAM, LB & GK. Then in the summer look at CM, RB, ST & maybe CB.

3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    except "essentially" does not violate the agreement. buying sponsorship on your own club is "essentially" injecting money into the club . . . but it still passes muster with FFP.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i didn't understand their fixation with RB. like, cool, if you think you can upgrade on someone, i'm all for it. but spending what little resource we have on a position that is one of the few we have multiple people for seems ill advised when we have so many more holes.

5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that they aren't looking at our entire depth chart and the fact that we have 3 players that play almost exclusively at RB/RWB. I assume they are looking at starters only and making suggestions on where we can improve. Based purely on the starting lineup RB, AM & CM are our biggest issues. However, if you look deeper into the entire squad you see the glaring LB & GK depth issues as well.

daedalus repped this.
  6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    We’ll see, I really don’t expect much this window unless they actually sell someone. There was a rumor today that Atletico might be back for Lacazette, if that happens, then they would probably spend that money on transfers.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt be opposed to selling Laca but i have a hard time seeing us do any business with Atletico right now. Between us buying buying Partey and them loaning but not playing Lucas I think there may be a little bad blood that could prevent a decent deal.

8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't expect much at all this window. MAYBE a ceballos-type loan.

without much (any?) outgoing, we brought in gabriel and they went into pocket to fund the partey deal on mediocre league position and euro money while we have a champion's league wage packet.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So we just paid one of our best players to leave

Meanwhile arteta is fapping over Xhaka

Elite performance culture

chad and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    People were raving over the pass that Xhaka made to Tierney in the FA Cup game, those are the kinds of passes Özil made nearly every game last season, even when he wasn’t piling up assists. People are raving over the fact that with the addition of Smith-Rowe Arsenal move the ball more quickly, enough said, he’s gone, I hope the Fenerbache coach knows how to use him and I hope more fans forget the salary and come to appreciate what we had.

daedalus repped this.
  11. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    “I think since he’s been back he’s been phenomenal; he’s playing really, really well. Against Palace, he had some really important moments and he’s still young. He’s still a player who can evolve. It’s great for us to have him back.”

Arteta is going to give him a new contract thru 2026, isn't he?

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple new links today...

1. Seeing a few "official" links to Marseille CM Morgan Sanson. We were linked to him in the summer but nothing ever came of it. A few days ago I saw claims that Morgan's agent was talking to a couple EPL clubs. Today I am seeing links to Arsenal being one of those clubs. He is said to be valued at 25m GBP but could be sold cheaper due to financial issues at the club. Sanson is a classic box-to-box #8. In our current formation, he would likely play in the 2 man base and would provide a very good rotation with Partey & Xhaka. If/when we shift to a 4-3-3 (#6 with 2 #8/10 types) he could play further up the field while still providing some defensive support.

2. We are being linked (along with West Ham) for 19yo Slavia Prague ST Abdallah Sima. He is a 6'2" speedy ST that has been scoring quite a bit for Slavia this season. My guess is this could be a replacement for Balogun assuming he does not re-sign.

13. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Nketiah look any different in the Czech league?

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly. Think he could also look different in the EPL with a different system (or players around him). Eddie is similar to PEA in that he isn't a hold-up / target ST. He is a poacher that will get his chances from being in the right place at the right time. Unlike PEA he A) doesn't not operate as well out wide and B) has not developed his abilities to always be in the right place at the right time. If he can learn to make better/smarter runs and has some guys around him (Saka & Martinelli?) that can draw attention as well as make a good pass, he has the potential to be a very effective ST.

Silva 5 repped this.
  15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing a report claiming that Edu says we are reassessing the Torreira loan to Atletico. Supposedly Valencia have been in contact with Torreira's agent and Lazio, Fiorentina & Torino have been in contact with Edu all about taking over his loan from Atletico.

16. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Barcelona's Neto and Newcastle's Freddie Woodman rumored as GK options.

Neto is a Kia client. Sounds like Barca want a permanent deal or guarantees of playing time. He would require a non-HG spot, which could be created by sending Runar son of Runar on loan.

Woodman is on loan at Swansea and would be homegrown. Not sure why he would want to cancel his loan where he is playing regularly to be a backup at Arsenal. But he along with Raya would be good, long-term, homegrown options at keeper.

17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Seems like a more mobile, athletic Ceballos who gets forward more often. His contract expires in July 2022 and he is 26. I'd like him more if he was 22 or 23, but he'd probably cost a lot more.

I think ESR has done so well he deserves to play as much as he can for the rest of the season, but it would be nice to have someone who can spell him. Spending 40 or 50m on Buendia would be a huge mistake. I'd settle for another youngster or a more experienced player on loan who won't throw a fit if he doesn't get enough playing time.

Silva 5, leppercut and maskito repped this.
  18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, it would be better if he was younger but the rumor I read a few minutes ago is that Villa is negotiating a 15m GBP deal for him. In addition to your assessment I would say that he is also more defensive than Dani. Think he could be a guy that could be paired with Xhaka when Partey needs a rest without creatign a defensive liability in the middle.

Agree on ESR and agree that we need a cheap option that's not gonna take too much of his playing time. I still like the idea of snagging someone with some versatility (AM & W/CM) so the new player can get plenty of minutes without taking it all from 1 person (ESR). My favorite option that I have found is Brahim. Real are rumored to want to sell to raise money for the summer. He is currently on loan at Milan and supposed to be playing well. Arteta would be familiar with him from his time at City. He is young (21) and would be HG because of the time he spent in City's academy. Curious if A) Arteta likes him and B) would their relationship be strong enough to convince him to switch his loan from Milan to us. Get Real to give us a loan with a buy option in the summer.

CarlosKaiser and maskito repped this.
  19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    [
    Still young, still capable of evolving? Xhaka will certainly look better when paired with Partey, but I would rather Arsenal buy another dynamic midfielder that will allow them to dominate the midfield both offensively and defensively.

chjoak repped this.
  20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Odegaard wants to leave Madrid this window, would he come to Arsenal? Would Zidane let him go on loan?

Silva 5 and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Neto happening. Too much cash (Barca want around 15m euro) and we would basically just being bringing in a 31 yo GK that is expecting regular playing time which means it won't be too long and we would be replacing our GK once again.

Really like the Woodman option. HG and young enough to replace Leno in 2-3 yrs and still give us 5+ yrs as a starter. Not sure he would be willing to give up the number of matches he is getting at the moment but it wouldn't hurt to try and I would think the deal would be pretty cheap.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Odegaard but I'm not sure he would be a good fit for us right now. He could technically play some on the wing but he is primarily an AM which means he would mostly take minutes from ESR.

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Another youngster, Yacine Adli, who Arsenal were briefly linked to under Emery looks to be able to play both as an 8 and as a 10. He is good in the tackle and has the passing range to play as an 8, but he’s also good at creating chances, with 2,7 key passes part 90. So he, or a player like him, could back us Smith-Rowe or be part of a rotation at the base of the midfield.

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea how Adli has been doing at Bordeaux? If I recall correctly he joined them 2 years ago (Jan 2019) but I haven't kept up with him since.

25. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every player we're being linked to in midfield will take minutes from ESR, and there are a lot of links in CAM area. That doesn't seem like a credible reason to exclude Odegaard.