Defense is better but now the offense sucks - 2021 Jan Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Nov 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Saw an article talking about using Joel Lopez - an 18 yo academy kid that started at Barca - to play some LB in the final Europa League matches. No idea how good he is, but would be great to find another Bellerin.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of kids, this kid Yunus Musah played pretty well for USMNT over interlull, including as a left AM in a really cathartic 6-2 trouncing of Panama on Monday.

He's almost 18 and currently at Valencia but came through the Arsenal youth system for 7 years. Can't say I was much aware of that, but did/do any of you guys follow him? Were we right to cast him off??

3. dm3mdgtr

dm3mdgtr Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Mckinney, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I watched that game and was aware of him but hadn't seen him 'in person' yet. He was clearly one of the most talented dudes on the pitch. A really good prospect. Didn't even realize he was an Arsenal academy youth until you just mentioned it.

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't happen but I would like to see us try a 4-2-2-2 in the next EL match. Start Xhaka or Dani in the CM spots for a vet presence and then play youngsters just about everywhere else including some academy kids...

-------- Eddie -- Balogun -------
    ESR ---------------------- Nelson
    -------- Xhaka -- Willock --------
    Lopez? - ??? - Holding - AMN

For the LCB I would be good with Mari or Chambers assuming they are ready otherwise I would be inclined to go with an Academy guy.
    If they feel that Lopez isn't ready then I would be ok with AMN on the left and Cedric on the right.

5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so apparently david luiz bitchslapped ceballos as the practice on friday ended. nice, nice.

that's now the second person who's gotten irritated with ceballos in practice/training for being a douche nozzle.

Shen-O and thebigman repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s supposed to be a Cnut

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    apparently, his teammates agree! :-D

8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Szoboszlai continues to be rumored for a January move. There have also been links with Sheffield United's Sander Berge, a tall Norwegian they bought last January. Seems like it might a move if the Blades go down, maybe as a Xhaka replacement.

leppercut repped this.
  9. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we have to get someone cause we have an Ozil-sized hole that Willian doesn't seem to fill.

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berge and Partey would be an awesome base 2 in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2. Szoboszlai isnt quite Ozil level but shows tons of potential. Plus he is fast and athletic enough to play as a #10 or a creative wing. Would fit well in a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 (6 with 2 #8/10) or a 4-2-2-2.

11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some claims that Arteta has told the club to sell Pepe in Jan if possible.

Super Llama repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i'm going to sound like @thebigman here but i would be intrigued to see an attempt at 4-4-2 diamond with saka at the top of the diamond and aubameyang and pepe as the 2 forwards. :-D

thebigman and maskito repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it would make sense. it's hard to see pepe as a fit in a system. it's not that he's a bad player or lacking talent but his style of play is . . . different. one of the podcasts suggest that he may benefit more from being in a counter-attacking setup.

i guess it's the same "wish" i had when sanchez was here and wishing that he was more someone who runs into space instead of being so focused on ball-to-feet so he can try to run with it because his composure and finishing seems like it could do.

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure our current personnel fits a diamond well without losing significant width. I think we could fit a 4-2-2-2 really well but it would do nothing for our lack of creativity but would instead require us to move to more of a pressing counter attack to generate chances. I think we could make that scheme work well and Pepe could possibly be very good as a counter attack ST but i doubt we will ever know for sure.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A flat 442 works wel with saka and Willian/amn as the wide players

partey also works with ceb or xhaka

then Laca is a deeper forward who can link auba

it’s a formation that works when you’ve been shot for a while and can’t play expansive football

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    my thoughts were:

holding/david luiz/chambers as the right-footed partner for gabriel with tierney/bellerin outside. i think tierney and bellerin could provide enough width. maitland-niles could from the right but, while he defends well, not as much attacking teeth from the left.

xhaka at the base of the midfield diamond with the intent to drop into a back-3 to the left of gabriel against counters.

willock/ceballos/elneny to partner partey in the middle, depending on need/want. against a team sitting on us, willock's running/late arrival in the box could open things up. where, against a team we want more defense/pressing, an elneny would be the better choice.

saka at the top of the diamond with pepe up top to partner aubameyang because aubameyang tends to float left before attacking the middle and pepe has similar tendency from the right where saka appears to be comfortable where ever. OR, alternatively, willian at the top with lacazette/nketiah to partner aubameyang because willian will naturally float right while lacazette/nketiah will be the middle workhorse attacking the middle.

17. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I do think this would be an interesting approach, but what benefit do you see to Xhaka dropping into the back three against counters? He can’t keep up. His utility there is as a deep lying playmaker when Arsenal have the ball, not as a defender against counter attacks.

18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    to be fair, xhaka is not just slow, he is also not particularly great defensively. so there is that. :-D

but my thought was not so much that he would be an actual defender there as much as a simple deterrent and a body while giving gabriel time and space to figure it out. with the fullbacks providing width, they will inevitably be caught out up in the pitch at some point and the extra body there could help.

also, definitely agree that his primary value is as the distributor when we have the ball. but we will lose the ball at some point and i would rather have him be already deep and trying to get there.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A flat 442 works best imo u till we solve creative issues and it is balanced with our personal

expansive football vs decent sides is not possible unless they suddenly remember how to play

20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing rumor that we are trying to arrange a loan to buy for Szoboszlai in Jan.

21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sigh. apparently, his release clause is 22M GBP and it expires soon. so we gonna dick around so we can pay more later?

leppercut repped this.
  22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I wouldn't think that option would be available if there is competition to sign him, but maybe Arsenal have put themselves in the driver's seat with the player and his agent.

Aouar was dropped from their match this weekend for missing training. Wonder if he starts agitating for a move and moves at a lower fee than rumored last summer.

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a rumor that Lyon is gonna demand 60-70m euro for a Jan move. Have a feeling that our courting of Aouar may be done unless we somehow sell Pepe without a loss or everyone balks at Lyon's asking price.

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I fear he may be using us as a stalking horse to suss out PSG's interest. I'd be fine if we go with Buendia and the Hungarian kid for that kind of money.

daedalus repped this.