Defense and tactics always wins championships!

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by FireTrapatoni, Jul 1, 2004.

1. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Take that fans of unbalanced attacking football!

I liked Portugal if they were up against the Czechs, but I actually like their chances less against the Greeks. This will be a very low scoring game. Both teams have got this far with tactics and defense, really how Italy tries to play. I knew defense and ball possession would win over shallow attacking football in the end. Both clubs play the game partly like a chess match, all out attacking football loses this intriguing aspect of the sport.

2. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wild attacking won't win championships. However, just looking at World Cups, the past champs have almost always been the one that was the better attacking side. As Scolari said two years ago after the WC, most teams are tactically astute, especially the farther you go in a tournament so tactics often cancel each other out. You then need some talented players that can turn the game with their flair and creativity to win.

3. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Brazil is a rare exception, they just have too much speed and offensive talent to be stopped by teams with good defense. But if you look at the finalists and winners for these competitions, Germany, France, Italy, they all have done it with defense more than anything else.

With France this year, their defense and tactics were dreadfully below the level of when they won the world cup and when they beat Italy in the last Euro. Organized tactics can outshine talent in most cases.

4. The Nice Guy

The Nice Guy New Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Let's see if the Greeks win the final first.

It's very tight. The Greek defensive wall has been superb. Dellas, particularly, is one of the top defenders of the competition. Portugal has the attacking flair, and the ability to get within the penalty box on dribbles which always raises my hackles.

TWG

5. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    That's why Portugal is gona win!! The best defenders in the tournment, powerfull midfield and creative wings.

6. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    Greeks have prided themselves on defense in the tournament. They have the best defenders.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah, all 9 of them... :rolleyes:

8. Karsh

Karsh Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Nuno Valente, Miguel, Andrade and especially Ricardo Carvalho, I think they are in the top15 defenders of the tournament, being Ricardo Carvalho the #1, he is awsome, I can't remember an unique mistake from him. The greeks are very good also, but as Belgian guy said, they have almost the whole team defending lol. I'm also impressed with Ashley Cole in portugal-england match.

9. Spiro_In_San_Jose

Spiro_In_San_Jose New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    San Jose
    Was Belgium even in Euro04?

10. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Portugal have played well defensively in this tournament as well, which has surprised me to some degree. Italy has good offensive players too, but that doesn't mean you have to all-out attack. However, Greece has played more like Italy in the way the style thay have played. Portugal plays well defensively by maintaining a high rate of ball possession (they are best in the world at this). Italy and Greece do not take that approach and often their opponents have more possession, but yet, they limit the good offensive chances of opponents.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    No, we suck. And we are boring as hell. And we play ultra-defensive. But at least we have the decency of not qualifying for the EC and boring the whole of Europe to death.

12. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    LOL :D

13. chopsuey

chopsuey New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    I think that if Portugal scores early, the Greeks will have to come forward and get more men in Portugal's half and then we will have a game as they have nothing to lose and have showed that they can attack well when prompted to.

But if Greece starts winning, it will be 11 greeks behind the ball and Portugal will be on Greece's half passing the ball around until an opening appears. Not so beautiful.

14. Theo the Greek

Theo the Greek New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Canada
    Your half right !!!!! LOL
    you do suck

15. Spiro_In_San_Jose

Apr 18, 2003
    San Jose
    Throw yourself a bone. If Belgium made it to the finals like Greece did you would be in the same boat Greek fans are in.

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hardly rare, they've won five times.

I'm sure there's an attempt to shoehorn them into fitting your statement, I just can't bothered to look for it.

So far in the tournament Greece has beaten or drawn:

Portugal
    Spain
    France
    Czech Republic

But they lost to:

Russia.

My theory is that the double letter in Greece's name gives them a huge advantage over teams without that double letter. But when they played a team with a double letter Russia, they lost.

I think I'm right here, though it may just be that I shouldn't draw wide sweeping conclusions from a small sample of games, particularly when other games contradict those conclusions.

17. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    I didn't mean Brazil winning was rare, I meant they are unusual compared to the majority of teams that have had cup success in recent memory. Most attacking nations are stifled by good defensive teams, but Brazil just has too much speed and talent for most opponents. Still, when they lost to France, they couldn't break down their defense.

"I think I'm right here, though it may just be that I shouldn't draw wide sweeping conclusions from a small sample of games, particularly when other games contradict those conclusions."

It's hardly a sweeping conclusion that defense more than offense wins championships in sports. It's a popular belief, one that seems to get lost in the goal-hungry Euro fans.

18. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isn't it funny a thread like this started by someone who uses the screename 'FireTrapatoni'?

Italy fans never learn. Replacing the coach won't help them getting out of this downhill Italy is heading if they don't change the anti-football mentality.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a popular belief in baseball too, contrary to the vast amount of evidence that exists in that sport to the country.

The number of people who believe something has no bearing on its accuracy.

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Always? ya, that's why Italy and Germany went out in the first round, eh? It's more than that.

21. catenaccio

catenaccio New Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Downhill? Player selection is what costs Italy games not tactics. We have loads of talented players. It is coaches who make the decision of who plays or doesn't. Defense wins games as you should know when Paolo Rossi hit you with a trifecta. Ole!

22. Spiro_In_San_Jose

Apr 18, 2003
    San Jose
    So let's Fire Trapatoni and have Italy succeed.

23. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Everyone assumes I wanted Trap fired because Italy emphasizes defense. I wanted him fired because he was a lousy coach. Italy's approach works. Why would you want them to play like other teams? It's always more interesting to see a clash of styles.

Baseball is somewhat different because you don't have two full sets of offensive and defensive players on the field at the same time in a symetrical layout. But even in baseball, pitching and good fielding teams like the Marlins usually win over hard hitting teams.

Basketball proves defense wins championships as evidence by the championships of the Spurs and Pistons.

American Football is no different with the championships of the Patriots and TB Bucs, where both were better defensive teams than offensive.

24. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    FireTrapatoni, must your ‘Italy out of the Euro’ catharsis be so public?...and how many more of these threads will get you there?

At the beginning of the tournament it was “Italy has the most balanced talent”: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118278

When thing began to look dire we got “Where is the Defense”: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118972&page=1&pp=15

We’ve all seen Germany in its heyday between ‘70-’90, and they did not play like Italy. Having a sound defensive unit does not make you a counter-attacking team, nor an emulator of the Italian style. Ceres posted that having a good defense (or defensive scheme) does not mean you play defensively.

You claim that Greece is hardly solid at the back here, but later on we will see that you use them as the shining example of defensive tactics.

Machoward pointed out the difference between league play and tournament play. You and I discussed the fact that the first stage of the Euro’s had exactly the same goals allowed per game as the most recent Serie A season, thus blunting the argument that defense was not being played.

Now at the end of the tournament, in addition to the thread we are currently on, you also have “Finals Team Boost for Italy”: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120934

Now the same team that were ‘hardly solid at the back’ have gotten to the final ‘playing the way Italy usually play’. Intersting.

Spartak reply fits with my thinking on this; Greece plays the style that will allow them to compete given less stellar individual talents. IMO successful teams are those that play to their strengths and minimize the exposure to their weaknesses. Greece is a great example…without true superstars to dominate offensively, they rely on playing very compact, keeping their shape and fighting for every ball all over the field. They go forward when they have the opportunity, in a very methodical manner (for a good part of the game against the Czech they took it to them).

Everyone knows that Italy is a formidable national squad – with history and pedigree -- and produces some of the world’s greatest talent; however, the results relative to this talent (unless we are over-estimating it) over the last twenty odd years have not shown what you claim to be superior tactics. Italy’s chosen approach to the game is not as clear-cut blueprint for success in tournament style football.

25. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    >Everyone knows that Italy is a formidable national squad – with history and pedigree -- and produces some of the world’s greatest talent; however, the results relative to this talent (unless we are over-estimating it) over the last twenty odd years have not shown what you claim to be superior tactics. Italy’s chosen approach to the game is not as clear-cut blueprint for success in tournament style football.

Some of the best football played in this tournament was played by Italy in the first 70 minutes of the match with Sweden. Had they played like that for the whole game and in their other games instead of reverting to type then I believe we'd be watching Italy in the final later today.