defending while running at someone

Discussion in 'Player' started by redalert101, Aug 4, 2004.

1. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    how are you supposed to approach someone to defend when you are coming in at an angle running fast. lately i seem to begetting beat because they cut as soon as i get there. the only thing i can think of is working on my change of direction and stopping speed but i want to know how yo are actually supposed to approach the player with the ball. thanks for your input

2. #1Keeper

#1Keeper Member+

Feb 7, 2004
    run at the player at an angle always keeping him outside. Once you get close to that player stay on your toes! This well allow you to change direction quicker and stay low, too.

3. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    You don't go for the tackle when the dribbler has close control of the ball.

You do close space on the dribbler that is pressuring the dribbler. Meaning if the dribbler is alone you close that open space within two yards of the dribbler. You don't go right into the dribbler like you seem to be doing that is also called diving into the attacker. The attacker will beat you if you go all the way to him by just moving to his left or to his right.

Just close down all that open space first. That alone limits the dribblers options, his view of the goal and also limits his passing options. So this pressure on the dribbler comes first before the tackle if he has close control of the ball.

Then you position yourself to be ready to tackle. You get into a side ways position, and again you wait for the moment where the dribbler does not have close control of the ball. Then at that time you go for the tackle. So it is a lot about the timing of the tackle knowing when to tackle and when not to tackle.

You never go straight into the player. Your not looking to bang into him just take the ball away from him. Then you can start your teams own attack.

You come in from an angle to the left or the right of the dribbler not straight into the dribbler.

You tackle using only the inside of the foot with a bended knee not stiff legged. You want to hit the center of the ball so your tackling foot should be slightly off the ground with the heal down, and toes up ankle locked. It looks very similar to the form you use for push passes.

You hit the center of the ball, and the tackling foot follows through riding up the ball. That gives the ball top spin. You want to put top spin on the ball to help the ball go over the dribblers right or left foot depending on the angle you took. You want to put the ball behind the dribbler off the dribblers left or right shoulder. Then you go to the ball and win the ball and start your own attack.

If you don't hit the ball over the dribblers foot the first time. Immediately tackle the ball again, and keep tackling until you do win the ball.

When you tackle you want to hear the noise of your foot hitting the ball, not your foot hitting the dribbler.

Do not turn your inside of the foot after the touch. Keep it square with the ball just like you do with the push pass. The tackling foot the side of the foot faces in the direction you want the ball to go. Also the non tacking foot points the direction you want the ball to go.

Eye on the ball and tackle coming in from an angle, hitting the ball with the inside of your foot so it goes straight over one of the dribblers feet with your top spin follow through. You don't want to hit the ball into the dribblers body.

Last thing is you don't go for a tackle unless you have a team mate supporting from behind just in case you miss.

4. iviagical

iviagical New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    great advice richie thanks

5. sockacrazy

sockacrazy New Member

May 6, 2004
    Great post ritchie i just wanted to add one thing. The first thing u want to do is delay the player with the ball so that everyone can get in position behind you. Then when you have support behind you, wait for the mistake and make the tackle.

-justin

6. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richie's post summed it up pretty nicely. Just don't dive, keep your eye on the ball and keep him to the outside. Those in my mind are the most important things.

7. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    i know that but when im talking about aproaching he defender i mean everytime i run to get in front of them they cut back in the same direction ii came from and i have no time to react not that im going straight for them and get beat that way

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    redalert I feel for ya - here's my advice.

Step A: Watch Pablo Mastroeni when he's on his game - like in our last match against Mexico. Watch him closely.

Step B: Be Pablo Mastroeni.

Honestly, so much depends on the dribbler's options and the position and support of your teammates. A good trick if you're sizeable and your defense is getting into support just one beat late: Lay out a big tackle, cutting a wide swath. Go for where you think the ball will be but make sure the dribbler has to get waay around you or jump over you. It's not a great position to be in, but often you can delay or disrupt the dribble enough for your support to clean up. Make sure you snap to your feet and a recovery position.

P.S. Coaches who didn't play a lot will probably hate this advice