Defender of the Year

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Oct 20, 2004.

1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Who you got?

2. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Description:

2004 Colorado Rapids Defender of the Year Award, to the player who has had the biggest defensive impact on the team over the course of the entire season.

That's why Cannon is listed.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picked up this season where he left off last. Strong in the air. Tackles well. Starting almost every game of the season in the back. Don't mess with Thor.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a question for the rules. Is the keeper technically a defender? I'd like to keep them as separate categories.

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Bollocks. A goalkeeper should most certainly be considered a "defender."

If a purely defensive midfielder were the glue of the team, shouldn't he also be considered for the award, despite his named position?

This is why most soccer teams/leagues actually label this award Defensive Player of the Year.

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greenie, did you just return from England? Bollocks to you. I wouldn't vote Pablo defender of the year if he were lining up in central midfield.

7. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Not this year, no. I'm just making an example, that the award should go to the player that made the greatest defensive impact no matter what their label. Similarly, what if your greatest defensive impact came from someone who played half the time as a wide defender and half the time in midfield?

8. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not voting for Cannon on this one. Pablo Mastroeni allows our play to move in both directions. Cannon isn't as vocal as Garlick and I don't feel he adds any new dimentions to the overall defensive shape, he merely does the best job of anyone in cleaning up their mistakes. Pablo elevates the play of all the others around him when he steps on to the pitch. The fact that his talent requires Bruce to continually call him in, even when he has his bu**-boys like Zavagnin and Armas hanging around. Pablo adds more to our central defense through organization, and when he's in the D-mid, moves forward better and wins more balls than Beckerman. I still think that Pablo is hampered down in this league, and would rise to the challenge of the EPL or Bundesliga.

Pablo Mastroeni gets my vote for Defender of the Year

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gave this one to Borchers, figuring that Cannon was already going to get the team MVP. I like to spread the awards around, if it is deserved

10. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    IMO - in 2005, Ricky Lewis will be at or very near the top. This kid can flat play !

11. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta go with Thor. Cannon gets my MVP vote.