Defender of the Year

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Lanky134, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Anybody else think Nellie should win it? I mentioned it on the post-game thread, but it's buried beneath a handful of analysis.

He's been a rock in defense and only has two yellow cards. And he's our leading scorer with 4 goals. I can't think of another defender this year who has had as much of a positive impact in both halves of the field.

Knowing the league, though, they'll probably give it to the Old Red Goat, who's actually having a pretty good year.

Dave

2. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Nelson has been a difference but not good enough to win a league award.....I know it's not our defense's fault but we're still last place in the league and there probably more deserving defenders out there who start on teams with better records.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I was just going to mention Lalas.. He may be getting up in age but he is having just as good a year as Nelsen, at least offensively anyway..

I think Ryan should be nominated as well but MLS tends to lean towards the popular players to attract interest in their stupid post season awards.. If Ryan keeps up his stellar play, he'll be nomintated soon enough..

Maybe even Reyes as well.. Only Donovan can match this guys speed...

4. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, man. Lanky suggested Nellie to me last night and I asked him to let me think about it. I thought about it and came up with Lalas and maybe Garcia. I think Lalas gets it in a walk. lalagals play a very good team defense. Lalas benefits from Vagenas' energy and range (as Waldo mentioned last night on the tape delay), but I still think he gets the credit from the media.

He's having a very good year. With the USA defenders away at WC, I think he's almost a lock.

GM

5. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Nelson is the defender of the year for DC. Did you see his cheeky behind the back flick he had before scoring his goal against SJ? That has some major props right there. It has to be that cabbage that he apparently adores in his Freekick bio.

6. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Do goalkeepers count in this award? If so, I'd definately have to pick Rimando even though Ryan has been great.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    They have their own award, and it will probably go to Cannon.

Dave

8. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    I know for the league they do, but I'm saying for DC defender of the year, do keepers count?

9. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the ballots we received at the match Saturday, yes, goalkeepers can be considered for the team's Defender of the Year award, however according to the league's media guide, this is not the case for the MLS award.

Ed

10. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Ryan Suarez has had a pretty good season.