Defend Sunil Gulati here!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Matrim55, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I can't. Dropping the ball on the Klinsmann hiring after six months of do-si-do is simply unacceptable. He blew it, and he blew it big time.

But I'm beginning to think that's lil' Napoleon's plan. He didn't want Klinsmann, and the control issues that were apparently the rub in that hiring will surely apply equally to Pekerman or any other big-name coach. He wants another US coach who needs the job more than the job needs him, someone he can control and run roughshod over. It's hard to believe after his experience with Alexi Lalas that Bob Bradley would be the rube, but it's looking that way.

Prediction: In 18 months there will be a very, VERY loud and large segment of the BigSoccer population dying to bring Bruce Arena back.

2. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Very easy to defend...Sunil is the figurehead of an organization...allegedly Klinsman wanted more control than the organization was ready to relinquish...but what the hey, blame the guy who is negotiating with certain constraints that made a deal unworkable...

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sunil knows what he's doing, its too bad things have gotten to this point, we really need to know who is taking charge here...

I can't help but think of the part in Aliens where the marine starts to cry after the transport back to their ship crashed and he says, "game over man, game over, were screwed!!!"

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Has the U.S. hired someone else? Has Klinsmann taken another job?

:confused:

5. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Sorry, Andy, we're all too busy wailing and gnashing our teeth right now to either comprehend or acknowledge your well-reasoned point. Try again in a couple of days.

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only logical defense of the situation. Hopefully this turns into a Red Sox/Theo Epstein situation that resolves itself much more quickly.

7. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Doctor Bob went AGAINST the "organization", and pushed for Arena.

This sucks.

8. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    depression settling in---its not like U.S. Soccer is poor---and the benefits of the buzz of a Klinnsman, not to mention the respect he'd command, would have as much worth as a series of tv ads---I have no idea how to defend this--maybe he is setting expectattions so low that we'll be happy with any win

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he's the person that Arena, in his impolitic fit of pique, said he is.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Sports Illustrated is reporting Bob Bradley will take over on an Interim basis. Isn't that some indication that this is pretty much over?

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about:

How many times has the BigSoccer community cried out for heads to roll before all the facts were revealed?

Klinsmann: good player. Managerial/coaching ability is still unproven.

As posted in the other thread, if "control issues" are at the root of this disagreement, what does that exactly mean?

12. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it I keep ignoring that fact, that Bob Bradley is our coach now. I am not saying he isn't capable, or that I don't like him, it just feels odd at this moment. I think... oh no... no no it can't be... yep... I'm depressed... this is nucking futs.

13. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not give him complete control. It's not like he could have made it any worse. And if that was the sticking point they should have known it months ago and gone after another coach. Now we will definantly get a second tier position filler.

14. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't defend or get angry at Sunil but we MUST know what went down here and what made it go wrong. A press conference or a letter to the fans would be welcomed, we all need to know what it was that caused Klinsmann to flat out turn us down.

Still feel ill, I am so not going to be happy tonight...

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why blame Gulati for that? Perhaps as the negotiations got into detail, Klinsmann started announcing, or realizing, that his vision and the Fed's vision were different. Or maybe Klinsmann insisted on negotiating salary first, and responsibilities later.

I'm sure Gulati would have liked to know about potential problems sooner rather than later.

16. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Back when this whole thing sstarted "Jose Peckerman" had resigned fom his charge of Argentina . He was one person whom i feel could take the US back to winning again . Despite his lack of english he is still an excellent DT and would compliment the US squad immensly.... he is still out of a job...............

17. pangerho

pangerho New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Durham, NH
    "In case you haven't been keeping score, we just got our a$$es kicked..."

What control could Klinsy possibly want that we wouldn't give him? Uniform design? Training buffet menu?

Put the man on Mount Rushmore if he wants, but hire him!!!

Someone made a well reasoned point above that his managerial skills are still unproven, and I agree. BUT early indications would be favorable -- the Germans were mediocre at best and even given the home field advantage they performed way above themselves -- and more importantly, hiring him would be about ambition and credibility and high expectations and all sorts of intangibles that were sorely lacking from the US effort in and leading up to 2006.

I'm just sick.

Bradley is a perfectly competent coach, but I aspire to more for the US team than competence.

18. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps this is wishful thinking (on the part of someone who wanted JK to get the job), but has anyone considered that the press release issued by Klinsmann may simply be a negotiating tactic? Perhaps talks had stalled to the point where Klinsman felt he needed to take drastic measures to get his way. This would help to explain why Klinsi felt the need to release a statement to ESPN (and other media outlets) in the first place. Otherwise, what exactly is the point of issuing the press release?

19. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh.

"Boo you whore!"-Regina George

20. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    This has to be blamed on poor negotiating. Everything both sides have done in the past 6 months pointed to the strong likelihood that each side was the other's first choice. That it didn't happen must mean someone completely botched it at the bargaining table. Given that Klinsmann holds far more cards than USSF, I think the more likely problem was USSF.

21. elderado

elderado New Member

Mar 5, 2001
    New York City
    I think the control Klinsi wanted was Youth control. The Fed has too many divisions and too many chiefs to ever want to hand that over.

In the end Klinsi, like Bruce before him, realized that the root of the problem is the organization itself. If the National Team coach cannot control the pool of talent from top to bottom (in a country like ours where professional clubs don't create our players yet) we will never have true success....oh well.

We will beat up on the T&T's and continue to lose to the Sweden's of the world.

22. jeffers77

jeffers77 New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    it all makes sense now! colin clarke wasn't fired from fc dallas, he resigned so he'd be free to take the job when JK didn't want it!

colin clarke new US mens coach!

(sorry bad joke i know, just trying to lighten the mood a little after this bizarre news)

23. soccereconomist

soccereconomist New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Sunil is the man- he has NOT messed anything up yet, and he has been very successful so far. I'm sure he had his reasons and I trust him until he messes up big time.

I am in his corner until proven otherwise, not the other way around.

24. Oddly United

Oddly United New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    The Nation's Capital
    First - Why blame Gulati? - Why are we one of the few wealthy federations without a head coach almost six months after the World Cup?

Second - Why is it assumed that the federation even has a concise vision - short term or long term?

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How many times did George Foreman retire?

This is sports. If the USMNT is getting an interim coach, who's to say who the next non-interim coach will be.

How many times have you walked away from a deal in order to force the other side into concessions?

All I see is a lot of gnashing and wailing over what was perceived as a "best case scenario." And Sunil, in a sense, has lost here if JK never signs on in that the regime that will be can never stand up to what some folks have in their heads how a JK regime would have been.

James Dean or Janice Joplin are seen as gods. Partly because they didn't live long enough to show up drunk on The View.