Defemse Department Considers Quakers a "Threat"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bert patenaude, Dec 13, 2005.

1. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/

This is a chilling report. The DOD has been spying on peace groups again. As a Quaker, I find it interesting that pacifists are now considered a threat to the American government. The only threat that the Quakers present is their threat to the American military recruiting young people into the armed forces.

I would really love to see my DOD file. Maybe in 20 or 30 years, I will file a Freedom of Information request.

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Obviously you are a terrorist.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This might be off topic, but do you guys play alot of "Monopoly" during the down time between terrorist attacks?

4. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Awhile ago some hack from the Dekalb police department tried to infiltrate the Labor Rights Alliance. We were planning a large scale (we had around 2000) rally to protest the war the day it began. He was so bad at his job we knew right away that this man was clearly a cop. The second meeting he came to we just told him "look, we know you're a cop. Our meetings are completely public -- the cloak and dagger is not necessary". I don't know if this was the DKPD trying to be cool or if someone higher up put them up to it. Either way it was hilarious and highly reminiscent of RENO 911.

During the rally there were a bunch of people not in any sort of uniforms taking photographs with long lenses from the tops of buildings. Never figured out who they were.

-----

Either way, in all seriousness, is anyone surprised?

5. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    After just seeing Good Night and Good Luck (finally) and then reading this...

Ugh.

Not that I ever trusted the Government, but damn they're ********ing annoying and stupid.

I wonder if that will make me a "threat".

6. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing BushCo and its minions probably haven't heard about these guys...

http://amisharmada.com/history.htm

Then again, maybe this obvious terrorist cell has already been infiltrated by the FBI.

7. ZippityDooDaa

ZippityDooDaa Red Card

Dec 6, 2005
    U.S.A.
    Aren't Quakers supposed to live in rural farming communities and live without modern convieniences like cars and electricity and like......the internet?

8. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Amish Armada is one of the finest band I have ever seen in my life. CASE CLOSED!

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am.

This isn't the FBI infiltrating peace groups. This isn't even the CIA. This is the military. How fascistic is that?

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is certainly off topic, but why are you being such a douchebag?

11. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta give the American power structure its due. First, it is smart enough to recognize that people become much less potentially subversive if they they they have something to lose. Second, it is willing to tolerate much more dissent than many other societies. Up to a point, of course. If the "powers-that-be" think that the dissent is at all likely to materially change anything at the top, then the iron fist is taken out of the velvet glove and starts intimidating and terrorizing people into submission. In that sense, there is very little qualitative difference between societies across time and space. The main difference comes in the quantity of dissent allowed and in the violence administered by the elites in reaction to the varying levels of dissent encountered from the intimidation in being obviously photographed, in pepperspray and baton charges all the way to railroading dissenting leaders *coughjoehillcough* or the occasional massacre like Ludlow or New Republic Steel.

12. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound

In the 60s the Army Intel gathered profiles on roughly 1 out of every 10 Americans. It's what led to the laws that were supposed to prevent this from happening again. Oh well, I guess they meant well...

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely awful (that is, a group with 100s of years of history of pacifism being considered a threat to anyone... though ideological threats are a whole 'nother wonderfully fascist sort of thing) but, living in a ghetto of a democracy, I've come to expect this kind of **************** to flow freely.

13. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Don't forget Matewan and, if you wanna get local, Pullman.