Deepest team in the World Cup 2006

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by levineto, Dec 15, 2005.

1. levineto

levineto New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Miami
    I believe there is no doubt the deepest team is Brazil.
    Brazil has just won the Confederations Cup with it's Reserve Team.
    Take a look at Brazil reserve's team, it would be a strong WC06 contender by itself.

Defenders: Luisao (Benfica), Alex (PSV)
    Side Backs: Cicinho (Sao Paulo), Gustavo Nery (Corinthians)
    Def. Mid: Gilberto Silva (Arsenal)
    Midfield: Julio Batista (Real Madrid), Juninho (Lyon), Alex (Fenerbache)
    Attack: Fred (Lyon), Robinho (Real)

2. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    England

3. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Brazil
    Argentina
    England
    Italy

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would say Italy, not the best team but I think they have the deepest squad.

Brazil are the best in most positions, but a little light in some areas... having to play Roque Junior at centre back springs to mind.

5. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Italy.

Brazil never won the confed cup with their reserve team. they were just missing Carlos and Ronaldo.

6. levineto

levineto New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Miami
    I am sorry. My mistake, I meant the America's Tournament, beat Argentina on PK.

7. B9milan

B9milan New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Brazil has as deep a base of players as everyone, but the depth in the English Premier League and Italian Serie A give the national teams in those countries comparable depth.

8. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Yes then "won" the game in PKs after being outplayed by Argentina's mostly olympic team.

After the starting 11, Argentina is pretty deep in forward and midfield, but rather thin in defense and goal

IN terms of depth, I'd say

Brazil
    Argentina

As for England, do they have any suitable replacements for Rooney, Owen, Lampard or Gerrard?

9. mrdeeds

mrdeeds New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Brazil without a doubt.
    England is not too far behind.

10. nickeanderson

nickeanderson Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Lund
    Brazils 2:nd team would beat English first team

11. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty obviouls Brazil has the deepest talent. Didnt the coach make a comment he could field 3 different Brazilian teams and have them all qualify for the WC???

12. i would have to say Australia or Tunisia

13. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Netherlands. They're so deep they're below sea level.

14. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I nominate this for post of the year. :D

15. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Yeah but that's because other than Argentina, the competition really isn't that tough.

16. Bring Back Fabian

Bring Back Fabian New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    NJ
    England or Italy.

17. RuudVanLineker

RuudVanLineker New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    why do people keep saying italy, their squad is paper thin. if either nesta or cannavaro are out their screwed, same goes for defensive mid and gattuso, goalkeeping they have no backup to buffon, and if zambrotta is out, where is his backup? in attack they have one winger, camoranesi, so no balance, and if he is out, also very big probs.

brazil could probably tak 3 teams to this world cup, all filled with attacking brilliance, but in my opinion, at center back they are awful. lucio is not enough when surounded by players of the quality of roque jnr. and at wing back, their players are not defenders, they have 6 wing backs i think that would get into most teams in the world, neri, cafu, cicinho, carlos, silvinho, junior, but none defend

which leaves me at my conclusion that the deepest team accross the whole park is england. they have backup in every position, except gk, they have finnishers, many brilliant midfielders, easily the deepest selection of world class center backs, four or five brilliant wing backs

so like is said, brazil have easily the deepest squad, but it is very skewed in favour of attackers and very, very light on defensive players. ever seen a team win the wc that cant defend? i know i havent

18. Saugatak

Saugatak New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Southern California
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last Brazilian team to win the WC (in 2002) crappy at defense, great in offense? And the 1998 Brazilian team that were runners-up to France were the same, strong offense, weak defense?

So I think weak defensive teams can win WC, provided they have an offense like Brazil :)

19. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    England has unbelivable midfielders this time.

20. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    England or Italy

The only position where Brazil have a surplus are the Forward positions, other than that Brazil doesn't look too scary. I think Italy, England could keep up with Brazil easily.

21. gazzsamurai88

gazzsamurai88 New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    england!
    only one goalkeeper tho
    robinson

defenders

cole
    bridge
    rio
    terry
    campbell
    carragher
    neville

midfield
    king
    cole
    lampard
    gerrard
    beckham
    wright phillips

forwards
    rooney
    owen
    smith
    defoe

22. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    :confused:
    Who would be their second Keeper???

Strikers after Owen and Rooney???

Midfielders after Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, J.Cole (&SWP)

Fullbacks??

Englnad has a great (close to best?) first team, but depth is it's bigest weakness

23. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As far as quality goes:

So even if you include the maybes, not much depth is there?

24. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In this order, Brazil with a long shot, Argentina ( except for keepers ), England, Spain ( sad they don't know that themselves ), Italia, Holland.

25. RuudVanLineker

RuudVanLineker New Member

Oct 11, 2005

they played with more midfielders who were responsible for holding the ball up in midfield and keeping team shape, yes they were crappy quality players, but they were more aware of defensive responsibilities than the present bunch. also the ball was not forever in the opponent final third for brazil, they were absorbing the offence of opponents as well, scolari had this team fighting for victories, declaring the beautiful game to be dead. now they have far more attacking potential than then, before 2002 no one thought ronaldo would return to form so suddenly after so long out, ronaldinho was still an unknown quantity, and they were playing men like edmilson and junhinho(the crap one), now there is kaka, robinho, adriano, baptista, and ronaldinho in better form than 4 yrs ago. however, all of the above will rarely be seen in their own half of the pitch.

plus, to those saying england dont have depth, well, looking accross our second string players we have
    wayne bridge (chelsea)
    jonathon woodgate (real madrid)
    jamie carragher( liverpool, would walk into any defence in the world apart from ours and italy)
    michael dawson (spurs, top center back, easily gets into french or german squads)
    ledley king(spurs, great center back, still learning for dm)
    luke young( proven he can cope at the top, plyed internationally in wins v poland, usa and argentina)
    paul koncheski( west ham, plyed at wing back for england, solid in defence, pacy going up wing)
    mathew upson( birmingham, great center back, good game reader, strong, ex arsenal, would have been a first choice if wenger wasnt so anti english, proven international)
    j loyd samuel, (villa, wing back, even if this season he has been poor)
    gareth barry ( villa, centre back or wing back, suffers as we have too many quality players in his positions, would be an international in almost any other country)
    scott parker( newcastle, two teams have each spent 8m pounds on him, used to do tricks for nike adverts when he was a kid, now growing into a xabi alonso style midfield organiser)
    swp(chelsea, rw, awesome player)
    j cole( chelsea, lw, great player)
    michael carrick( spurs, cm, another top player)
    stewart downing(middlesboro great winger, geat left foot crosser, score a few as well, very fast, can dribble as well)
    jermaine jenas(spurs, great attacker, bags of energy, awesome free kicks)
    keiron dyer ( newcastle,hampered by injuries, still always plyed well for enland, pace to burn)
    keiron richardson( manu, many underate him, he can play left wing or wing back, extremely fast, messed up team america in the summer)
    kevin nolan( bolton captain, fits into midfield alongside nakata and jj okocha and outscores them both, vry good player)
    darius vassel ( man city, good finnisher, awesome pace)
    jermaine defoe ( spurs, highly sought after, great finnisher)
    peter crouch ( liverpool, if hes good enough for benitez then he is good enough for me, he provides many possibilities in attack, and as u saw in the arg game, their defence didnt have a clue how to handle him and he made space for the equaliser and winner in minutes)

plus goalkeepers we have kirkland who is very good, and staying clear of injuries, we have scott carson at liverpool who is young but still very good, richard wright, who used to play but has had injury problems, but ccoming back into the form that made arsenal buy him(now at everton)