Deco screwed out of Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The one thing i dislike about Deco is how easily he goes to the ground! Right now Deco is better then Rui Costa, but 5 or 6 years ago Rui was slightly better then Deco is currently!

2. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry buddy, for the first time I have to disagree with you. Deco is as good as Costa ever was in my opinion. Hey, they are both great players, no disrespect to Rui Costa. Deco does dive, but i think it's his way of getting rest during a game because his work rate is so high. ;)
    Hey why don't we start up a new poll. " Deco vs Costa ". :D

3. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I didn't know u were quite the comedian, :D U got a laugh out of me for the first time today, it's been a rough one to say the least :eek:

4. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    You obviously never saw Rui Costa in his prime have you? Deco is no where near Rui in his prime. Be realistic. Rui (with limited minutes) did more at the Euro than Deco did. He scored two great goals as a sub. He's too old to play 90' at such a high level, but he can still change a game in 5'. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Deco fan, but the guy has a long way to go to match Rui's stature.

5. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    True... Deco has his on and off days... it didn't happen often that Rui had off days... When he was linking up with Batistuta there was no better duo. If it wasn't for Figo, Rui would be our national hero.

6. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    During Rui's time with Benfica and fiorentina, I believe he was the epitome of close control and passing; making him among the most exciting players in the world. Rui and Figo also made an unforgettable partnership in Holland'00 only to lose to France in a very questionable fashion.

7. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I totally agree, how soon people forget. Deco is better than Rui Costa now but when Costa was Deco's age, I would pick him over Deco any day.

8. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree, in his prime, Rui Costa was better than Deco is currently. Not to take away from anything Deco has accomplished so far in his career.

9. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    BTW Deco just scored another goal for barca in the 29th minute. Barc 2 Malaga 0 at halftime! I think its fair to say that Deco is a much better finisher then Rui ever was, but overall i think Rui was a little better in his prime then Deco is currently!

10. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I saw Costa play. He was a great player. I never said he wasn't. I just think Deco is one of the top 5 players in the world at the moment. Was Rui Costa ever in the top 5.....maybe. Another goal today for Deco..........
    Also, what whould have Deco accomplished with Luis Figo in his prime.????
    Could it be possible that Figo was so good that he made others look a little better than they actually were. I mean, he did carry Portugal for quite a while. An argument can be made that it could have been an even more lethal combination with Deco and Figo .

11. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Rui Costa at Fiorentina was amazing. He was the one that fed Batistuta in a team that didn't have that many stars. Those two had an amazing partnership. Deco is great, the goal he scored today was awesome, but I still feel he's not quite at Costa's level (in his prime). IMO.

12. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I have always been a fan of Costa.....what's not to like. But I think in two maybe three years from now I will make my final decision on this debate. Let's see what Deco does in WC2006. If he can atone for the inconsistencies of euro2004 at the WC and continue at his current level with Barca (and helps them win something), then it would be hard to argue against him, considering his already impressive track record.

13. moose8008

moose8008 New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Deco is quickly going from the most underrated player in the world to being overrated, thanks to people like GoodDead. Deco didn't even have a good season last year. His form was way down from the year before. Porto won because they had a great TEAM. Deco played well in the CL Final and people want to pretend like he was brilliant the whole season. The UEFA award was a joke. I have watched every minute of every game for Barcelona this season. Deco has been a good addition, but there are 4 or 5 players clearly more vital to the team's success. Don't get me wrong, Deco is an excellent player but he is not one of the elite players in the world.

If you want to judge a player based solely on the results of his team, Roberto Carlos had the greatest year in soccer history in 2002. He became the only player to win the World Cup and Champions League in the same year. But he did not win any awards. Soccer is a team game with 11 players each performing different functions that help a team win. The only thing one player can control is his own performance, and that is all he should be judged by. I am sure Porto will win the FIFA team of the year. If they don't it would be a travesty, but let's take it easy with Deco.

p.s.- I don't know why you guys feel so passionate about a Brasilian. I agree with Figo. A country of Portugal's calibre with so many wonderful players does not need to borrow players from other countries. It feels tainted.

14. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    If Figo would concentrate on playing his game instead of opening his big mouth, maybe we would've won the Euro.

15. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Deco, I believe, with good certainty, will go on to become Barcelona's most instrumental player.

He has already proved the most vital, during many points in the season.

Deco was coveted by the best teams in the world, before settling on Barcelona. That should sum things up! :rolleyes:

Every country has nationalized foreign players to play on their teams [Hargreaves - England, Vieira - France, Camoneresi - Italy, are but a few examples]. It should be noted that Deco emigrated to Portugal at 18, and played his entire career in Portugal before gaining Portuguese citizenry.