Deco screwed out of Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, it appears you have reading comprehension problems. I'm sorry for that. Where exactly did I say that Mourinho's opinion counted more? All I said was that it is interesting that Deco's own coach doesn't believe Deco should win the award. I can tell you this, if tomorrow Carlo Ancelotti came out and said he thought Deco should win the Golden Ball there would be a media circus in Italy surrounding Sheva and Ancelotti.

2. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    yap, no one liked him when he joined them , now most of tehm like him

3. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You certainly implied it, or else there would certainly be no mention of the comment.

You say everyone has an opinion, imply that it(opinion) doesn't matter, citing fake examples, and then say(or imply since apparently you had to be an ass about it) that Mourinho's opinion matters, by attempting to make an arguement VIA his opinion.

I'm sorry but I dunno why you're taking your arguement from 'Platini's/anyone's opinion is just an opinion' to, because 'Mourinho thought this, this must be that.' It doesn't work like that. Please try a little less b/s the next time.

PS: Incase you happened to... I dunno... NOT NOTICE IT, Mourinho coaches Chelsea now, not Barcelona. Just thought I'd like to help ya out with that since you like to use the phrase "Deco's coach," and link it with Mourinho.

You really are hillarious, and so are the rest of you that stomped in here just to act like all of us think Deco should be the winner... Way to go! Just realise you're wrong, admit it or just don't post on this subject, because there's no more to the arguement, other then what I just said in these previous statements, all of which prove you wrong.

Edit-oh and about the Ancelotti comment... that's just a weak arguement I shouldn't even have to comment on, but I will. Mourinho thought that someone who isn't on his team (Chelsea) deserved to win the player of the year award. Did chaos ensue because he didn't say Lampard or anyone from Chelsea should win? No. Maybe Italy is just uncivilized like that, because that's the only way a media circus would begin. I mean come-on THIS IS ENGLAND WE'RE TALKING ABOUT! THE BIGGEST MEDIA CIRCUS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! If Mourinho can say someone outside his team deserved to win and there won't be a media circus, there certainly shouldn't be any with Ancelotti. I'll also add in now, that Mourinho was never a huge Deco guy. I mean he used him, but Mourinho never openly said Deco was great, in fact, Mourinho has said more positive things about Paulo Ferreira than Deco.

And I'll end with: thank you for wasting about 10 minutes of my life.

4. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, did you read what I said? It appears you haven't.

5. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ditto here. You're wrong, face it and move on.

6. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong about what? I haven't made any claims in this thread. I only posted a quote and asked why Mourinho doesn't like Deco? What can I possibly be wrong about?

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Chelsea were the ones that rather publically called off the Deco signing, saying they had no interest before the Barca deal. If Portuguese and Porto players have shown anything, its that they like following Mourinho.

8. Adrenaline

Adrenaline New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Canada
    Deco is out of their leaugue, and no he is not underrated as some people may say. He just isn't that great, but he isn't that bad either.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Out of who's league? The league of the team who reached the CL semis last year, who finished second in their league last year, and who currently lead their league after qualifying for the knockout stages of the CL after 3 games (including a 3-1 win against Porto)? Out of the league of the team who had no trouble persuading the reigning European defender of the year to take a spot that didn't even guarantee he'd start?
    No, Deco's not out of our league.

Deco is an excellent player who would not have suited Chelsea's style of play or the Premiership. I think he's the third most deserving for this award, over Henry, although its a tossup between him and Thierry. Sheva deserves it, with Ronnie a close second.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If UEFA determined Deco to be European player of the year why did FIFA remove him from the top 3? Same reason their standings don't make sense it's all a popularity contest and being the 'BEST' is only a part of winning it, you also have to play in EPL, Serie A or La Liga to get any respect Bottom Line.

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Guys, Deco Played int he Super liga not EPL, Spain, Italy or even the Bundsliga. FIFA will never EVER give out a player of the year top 3 nomination to any of the ouside leagues.

Yes i think Deco is amazing but i wasn't too impressed with his performances at the Euro 2004. and some CL games that he played in. I felt that he was much better the year Porto won the UEFA cup. Deco has to impress in Barcelona and then maybe in WC 2006, he will have a decent shot and winning.

That's my unbiased opinion. Now for my biased oponion: DECO is way better than RUi Costa ever was :D

12. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Here is a newsflash if Deco was playing on the Brazilian National team he would have won the award. But he wears the Red and Green and played in the Superliga. Wrong Country and Wrong League.

13. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Let's keep it civil folks. Thanks.

And for my opinion, the FIFA rankings are often based on reputation and name recognition. Look at the Best XI from the last World Cup. Claudio Reyna was on the list, even though he wasn't the best player in the US midfield. The World Soccer/France Football award winner is considered the "real" World Player of the Year.

14. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    --»Nicephoras, Chelsea called off the Deco signing because Deco had said several times to Mourinho that his dream was to play in Barcelona, so refused to have talks with Chelsea and Bayern Munchen despite their offers being higher, FC Porto agreed with that because our president Pinto da Costa had prevent Deco from going to Barcelona at the end of 2002/2003 but promised him that in the next year if Barceloan showed the same interest they would let him go, this is one major reason why Deco played better in 2002/2003 than in 2003/2004.
    This is common knowledge in Portugal Deco said it Pinto da Costa said it etc, obviously with Mourinho coaching Chelsea your position could only be the one you stated ;)

15. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Like i said biggyv, this doesn´t even bother me, we all know how FIFA works and what happened in the past with this kind of awards, the France Football prize is the real prize always was and always will be.
    I remember some years (if i am wrong someone to correct me ;) )ago Figo made a fantastic season i think it was 1999/2000 and at the end of the year 2000 most of the ppl tought he was the favorite to win this FIFA prize, but Zidane won the Euro 2000 and he won the FIFA prize...but France Football gave the prize to Figo... in the next year Figo played worse than the year before and managed to win the FIFA award...

16. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Step 1: Denial

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    without Deco, Mourinho wouldn't have won any throphies :cool:

18. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I go any further you are gonna need to post something that I said in this thread that is wrong. I'm waiting. Because either you are not reading my posts or you are trolling your own forum, which is pathetic.

19. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Your post was heading in the right direction until this last comment. Deco can not as of yet even shine Rui Costa's shoes. Maybe in a few more years....

20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

hehe, yeah i know but in a few years Deco will hopefully make us forget Rui Costa :eek:

21. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    come on everyone, biased i may be but he was the best player in the most prestigious club comp in the world, he gave porto that little bit extra, he was what made the differance, how often do a team portos size win this kind of comp, it is stupidity on the part of who ever decides this award to exclude him from the final 3, it can be argued if he should win it or not but he has to be in the top 3, no one is saying he won trophys give him the award, whats being said is he put in great performances he lifted when porto needed him the most and because of it they have a shiny new trophy, he has also been exceptional for portugal recently, he inspired a 7-1 win recently if my memory is correct, now i know this award doesn't mean ******** so i didn't really expect him to win, so it doesn't really bug me, but for the people that watched him most to doubt whether or not he deserves to be in the top 3, that does kind of bug me.

22. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal

unfrigginbelievable!

23. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    If Deco & Rui Costa would be coming through the ranks at the same time, (and same age) Deco would be spending his NT time on the bench.

24. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Over the last 10 years only Zidane compares to Rui Costa at his position.

25. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Hold on a second.....
    Enough of this Deco bashing! Whose shoes is he going to shine???? :confused:
    The guy is one of the best midfielders in the game. Period.
    Deco was the main ingredient in Porto's success for two years, has been a solid NT player and now look at the effect he's had at Barcelona, a top team in a top league.
    Please stop knocking this guy. He is a remarkable player. When he's on his game there are few better, if any.
    And if you ask me he's better than Rui Costa, not by much but still better.
    Sure Sheva can score goals, but Deco is an awesome all round player that can adapt to any sytle of game. He is relentless, tireless and a good team player. What more does he have to do!!!
    Ronaldinho is incredible and his talent is unmatched, but it's a lot of razzle dazzle, he is not as deserving as Deco is at the moment IMHO.