Deco screwed out of Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's Deco? :p

2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
  3. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    the award is for 2004, the whole year so the CL, euro final, domestic league and current performance are what he is judged on as opposed to just current form there is the differance between xavi and deco.

as for the mourinho quote, i could bring up the platini quote but i wont because every one has a different opinion since the award isn't based on the opinion of one manager what differance does it make?

4. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes everyone has an opinion. Adriano and Nedved feel Sheva should win, Pele feels Nesta should win, Kaka feels Ronaldinho should win, etc. But don't you find it interesting that Deco's own coach does not believe he should be player of the year? Is there some bad blood between Deco and Mourinho?

5. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    "Is there some bad blood between Deco and Mourinho?"
    --»Its possible Mourinho wanted Deco in Chelsea but Deco said that he only wanted to play in Barcelona...
    Apart from that everyone tends to push for the players they like more and in this award the same happens, i am sure most of the national coaches who voted only see Serie A, EPL and La Liga, probably they saw the some FC Porto games in the CL and an averager performance of Deco in the Euro... so its kind of normal, for example sometimes we here in Portugal had fantastic Brazilian players like Deco and in Brazil nobody knows them instead they know every single Brazilian player in Italy and Spain, Scolari as a Brazilian coach porbably never heard the name Deco before coming to Portugal...

6. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Well he didn´t won the trophies by himself in fact the 2002/2003 season he played a lot better and was more crucial when we won the Uefa Cup, the Superliga and the Portuguese Cup, but back then almost no one knew him outside Portugal...
    In the last season he wasn´t at the same level but we managed to win the Superliga and CL e even scored in the final of the CL, he is a winner that made part of a winning team, when you talk about Xavi i also think he has been fantastic in Barcelona and i know why you say he has been playing better than Deco, Deco is playing almost like an defensive midfielder and at sometimes right winger in Barcelona, he can do the work but not expect a number 10 to shine in that positions, go and ask Zidane to do the same work...
    Talking about Barcelona Etoo has been the best Barcelona player this year IMO, why he isn´t on the top of the list?! because last year he wasn´t in Barcelona...

7. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    no one really understands mourinho, i couldn't tell you what motivates him to say what he does or act the way he does, it could be bad blood it could be something else. maybe he played as a striker as youngster and appreciates the role, maybe he believes sheva to be the most deserving i dont know.

Sheva wouldn't be a bad choice, he is the most deserving of the 3, deco should have at least made the top 3, who cares now as long as he wins the golden ball (is he still in the running for that?) i will be happy.

8. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Eu queria saber em que parágrafo eu desrespeitei algum jogador ou técnico portugues? Eu só acho q o Deco não merece o prêmio e citei o caso do Zico pra justificar que número de títulos não define se um jogador é melhor do que o outro.

9. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Because these leagues (italian, spanish, english...) are the ones that are broadcasted here in Brazil and the ones brazilian press follow. We know much more about these leagues even than the other leagues from south america, like argentinean, colombian, etc.
    I really had never heard about Deco till last year.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    You can catch Portuguese Soccer in Brasil thru RTP international and SPT international, I don't know who the carriers are, but everyweek on the Sport shows we get live tel call's from fans in Brasil.

we do have 800 brasilians playing from the I division to the III division and district leagues

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

Deco was very young when he came to Benfica, he was turning 20, he didn't have a big name, matter fact they let him play for Alverca, later he went to Salgueiros in the Superliga at the time, and he starting to show the ability of playing both defence and playmaker, PDC the old Fox made him a offer he couldn't refused, and he turn out to be one of the best things that happen to Porto since Madjer.
    he did things for Porto the other famous players like Cubillas, couldn't do, win, win and win some more

expect the same in Barcelona, he can play physical and he can play smooth, its up to the opponent

after 6 years in Portugal one more then in the USA, he became a citizen of Portugal, he paid is due
    some portuguese hate him for been a brazilian in the Portuguese starting team, taken a place of one of the best portuguese players ever Rui Costa, he had to work hard, nobody gave anything to DECO, like they doing to Carlos Alberto, Roger, Diego, etc he work hard, very hard for it.

some brazilians hate the kid for been a brazilian the made it to the top in another country, for been negletected by the brazilian scouts etc etc other's have a lot admirations special by the brazilian immigrants

he his a citizen of two countries,he his a great player when he can be named with such great players, nobody can take away the championships he won with Porto.

12. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    IMO Shev, Ronaldinho, Deco, Henry, in that order.

13. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    That's the exact order I would pick.

14. flimflam

flimflam New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Kearny NJ
    Hello - I am new here and all but i just want to chime in on this debate - I have liked watching Deco play for a long time and have been a huge fan of his for a while - But i still don't feel he got screwed here - all 3 of those finalists have had great years - while i do believe that barca would not be on top of the spanish league without deco, ronaldino is just an amazing talent - the way those 2 guys dominate the midfield is a joy to watch - but i feel that ronaldino is the best player in the world for the last 2 years

15. flimflam

flimflam New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Kearny NJ
    and who knows - maybe if i hang out here long enough i'll even learn how to spell ronaldinho's name right

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    welcome to the site, we don't check spelling in the portuguese forum, with me around :D

17. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    We have too many of these on this thread.

[​IMG]

18. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    People giving their opinions is not trolling...

19. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    You've done your share of trolling in the past but I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to people that are not regular Portugal Forum posters that come on here to say Deco is shite for no other reason than to stir things up. That's who I am reffering to.

20. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Henry shouldn't be in the final 3, Deco should! :mad:

21. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Not really they're saying that Deco should not be top 3... I don't see what they're doing wrong?

22. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Im starting to appreciate this guy even more! :D

23. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    I remember none of the Barca fans were too happy about Deco going to Barca... :cool:

24. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Some posters (not regular Portugal posters) came in here with stupid comments and didn't bother backing up their arguments. That is trolling. Now whether you see anything wrong with it or not is your opinion and everyone's entitled to it.

25. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL!

You start off saying "everyone has an opinion" and end the SAME EXACT POST saying that apparently, Mourinho's opinion counts more.

I dunno man, it's very hard to take that as a strong arguement, which in theory it is, but you made it SO weak that it's hillarious.

But just for the kick of it-could it possibly be that if Mourinho said Deco deserved this and that, that people would discount that as a biased opinion? Yes. Which is why people take Platini's opinion a little better because he's not really biased towards anyone in the debate, via blood or club-ties.

But I'll tell you this much, if Henry does win, then we'll know for certain that the award is just a piece of ******** not worth winning, especially with Zidane's win from last year....