Decision on Cup Finals site/date....

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jri, Oct 3, 2003.

1. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX

not true, most people who watch it do it only because it's loaded with football

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessary:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74378

where 25% of the people from that poll chose MLS as their favorite soccer programming and 45% chose EPL. It is not scientific and not reflective of the real results but let just look at it this way.

What percentage of soccer fans in the U.S. (particularly those that have FSW) only care for Euro soccer and completely ignore American soccer (a.k.a Eurosnobs)?

What percentage of soccer fans in the U.S.(particularly those that have FSW) care about MLS more than Euro soccer or South American soccer? (though they do watch and enjoy soccer from abroad almost as much as domestic one)?

Put me in the second category. (or my estimation of the 25% category)

I would say that 25% or more of all FSW subscribers care about MLS (that is 25% of soccer fans in the U.S. which left the other 75% of all soccer fans in the U.S. to be .......)

p.s. I noticed that you underline the word WORLD, since when is the U.S. not part of this world?

If you think that "MOST" people that watch/care only for EPL, you are wrong.

By the way people, if you are interested, give a rough unscientific estimate of soccer fans in the United States being

1)abroad soccer supporter only
    2)both domestic (though greater in passion) and abroad soccer
    3)both abroad (though greater in passion) and domestic soccer
    4)domestic only

I believe most of MLS supporters belong in category 2, making up about 25% of soccer fans in the US.

1) about 50%
    2) about 25%
    3) about 23%
    4) about 2%

Yeah, I know, I am pulling these numbers out of thin air, but that is my observation from talking to people and stuff. If my percentage are true to life, it is a scary thought. Half of all soccer fans in the U.S. basically ignore domestic soccer and 73% basically choosing foreign soccer to domestic one.

3. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    Way more than 73% of soccer fans ignore the domestic game, at least from my experience. We'll never know the true percentage, much from the people I know and met, at least in Mexican-heavy and youth-heavy San Jose, ignore domestic professional soccer. That's pretty much a fact. The only thing that has kept/will keep soccer from the big time, IMO.

4. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree w/that logic-in fact you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

You're right about the collective yawn from non-soccer media re; 8K at GS. But what do you think they are going to say if a US Open Cup final is propped-up (and like it or not, that is what you are suggesting) as part of an international DH? Will it look better on TV? Yes. And certainly it's a nicer, fatter gate. But does it really do anything for the either MLS or the Cup? IMO, no. In fact, if it did draw 40K it would be written off due to the DH, ie., "Americans" really don't care about soccer. It's purely a cosmetic fix that both soccer and non-soccer media a smart enough to see and note.

You can argue for a Chicago final on the merit of dollars and cents. But in terms of "advancing the sport," IMO it does not do what you suggest; you could even argue the opposite: it reinforces all of the old stereotypes.

At the end of the day, the viability of the USOC will be commensurate with fervor of the MLS fanbases, which hopefully in years to come will grow to the point of caring enough about their teams and rivalries to make this a big event. That is at core of the issue, and IMO, points to need to build proper supporter clubs and fan relations, rather than any short-term, artificial means of creating "buzz."

5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The USSF should pick one city that always hosts the game and turn it into a soccer 'event' that people can plan around. Maybe LA because of the new stadium and good weather, maybe Chicago because it's had good crowds, maybe a non-MLS site that has good November weather, possibly Atlanta. A big city that's cheap and easy to fly to and from, from anywhere.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Thats hard to do in a big country like the US. No matter where you put it one side(or both) of fans is always going to get screwed paying lots of $$ to see their team. They can't a Wembley/Super Bowl type situation in this country unless you want 95% of your crowd to be industry/neutral types.

How much would Metro/Fire fans have to have paid to see their team in LA if it was the "designated site"? And how many do you think would have made it? I think its fine the way it is now or instead of choosing just throw a coin up everytime. Atleast one of the teams fans will get to see them.

And they dont need months to hype up a game, instead focus on hyping up the tournament itself. Fans will be looking for it and will figure out where the final is.

But the main problem is the conflict with USSF/MLS in who should foot the bill. It is obvious the USSF doesnt have the cash to support a large ad campaign promoting a tournament that draws crowds of 3K(chicken and egg theory). And the MLS doesnt think it should spend its money because it isnt a "MLS" tournament. Therefore no one does crap and you get less than 10K for a FINAL.

SO its not really the location or the short time they have to hype it up. It just the lack of any partenership between the two.