Decent Horror...

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Captain Splarg, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last week or two I've seen some new films... some I liked, some I didn't.

The point is, I want to see a lot of good horror/gore films and I want to see them now.

I've recently seen:

Hostel
    Saw 2
    House of 9 (lame)
    High Tension
    My Little Eye
    dot.kill

I really liked Saw 2 (I liked the Cube series as well) and something not too dissimilar would be good.

Anyway, I want something hopefully that'll scare me. No PG-13 BS either... It has to be good.

I'd love to hear whatever recommendations that you all have.

2. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Your team's performance in the Fantasy Football League is a horror story in itself ;)

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The Descent is the best pure horror movie I have seen in a while, it's by the same guy that did Dog Soldiers.

Personally I thought Hostel was muck, tbh.

4. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mind hostel too much, at least the reason that they were all getting killed in such awful ways made sense. The only problem I had was that i'm sure that most of the people that went there had told someone not in their party where they were going. And after that many missing persons reports, you would think there would be some investigating.

5. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Downloading it now. thanks.

6. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Watch it at a loud volume, and in the dark. It's probably not the same otherwise. Watching this movie in the dark is vital to the experience.

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Once it hits evening-time EST, expect a SirManchester rant about the movie if he reads this thread. ;)

To be honest I couldn't go over the finer points of the movie since I was a pretty baked when I watched it, but I remember having quite a few things about the script, primarily, just annoy the hell out of me... and how the hell does somebody forget their ankles have been severed within the space of 5-6 minutes? Meh, I'll leave it. ;)

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just watched it, and I did indeed like it.

I know i've seen those creatures someplace before, I just can't quite place it. I'm thinking one of the newer Star Trek series, but I could be wrong.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dawn of the Dead the original and the remake.

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The only one that's recent and I enjoyed was "Hostel". I thought it would be bad at first, but Eli Roth showed his potential in "cabin fever" and again with "Hostel". He actually spend a considerable amount of time with character development and threw in several really worthy film techniques. While it wasn't stunning, I enjoyed it a lot and along with 28 Days later stands as one of the best mainstream horror offerings.

SAW was based on a good concept but it ultimately came off as pretentious and tried to fill in time between all the gore scenes instead of actually establising a plot or develop character. The director built the whole movie around one idea and then cheaply threw in a completely different one to make the "twist" effective. It was a cheap shot and one I didn't take kindly. SAW II had the same problems but maximized.

and Billy, even though I'm neck deep in papers and schoolwork, I'm finally taking it upon myself to see "The Descent". I'm very excited to see it, a good horror movie is rare and you've hyped it up just enough for me to finally take a look. :D

11. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like Return of the Living Dead and I'll watch it if they ever show it on Sci-Fi, although the last time I can remember them showing it was years ago. Other zombie movies have done similar shots since then, but I still remember the first time I saw a couple of the characters round a corner and run into the foreground...followed by a mob of running zombies. After being so used to the Night of the Living Dead shufflers, watching zombies book it across a parking lot really freaked me out.

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did look a bit like Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter....

[​IMG]

13. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    My favourite horror show at the moment is the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes double act.

14. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I thought Hostel was horrible apart from the gaggle of topless women.