Dear students,

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by chad, Nov 8, 2005.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We, your professors, have access to the internet...

...even Google and wikipedia.

In other words, don't plagiarize by using the web.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    How many this semester?

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 out of 7, so far. Straight ********ing cut and past from wikipedia.

I give very detailed handouts to my students. So when they use lingo not from those handouts, it's usually a dead give-away. Off to google, I go.

My all-time favorite was when I had a student turn in a paper on the Crito, and he used the word "gaol". He had plagiarized from an oooold book by someone from Oxford. Awesome.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Way back in the pre-internet days, one of my philosophy professors had someone turn in an essay that was clearly plagiarized, and he knew it instantly: it was the most widely used translation of the guy he had written his dissertation on. Some guy named Kierkegaard.

It's amazing how often the dumbest ones make it so easy.

I had 5 last year. Should have fewer this year, since the school has been actually enforcing its policies (if the offending student doesn't happen to be an athlete).

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't take much personally in the profession, but I take this type of plagiarism as a personal insult. But, since my own colleagues tend to be lax in enforcement themselves, student behavior in this regard is in some ways reinforced because it works. Then comes the cases like Dr. Wankler references - I've passed four essays up the chain this year, but never heard another word on any of them. No enforcement means a student can take the F but stay in good standing otherwise.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. Universities and colleges make it hard for faculty to pursue plagiarism cases, which only encourages the practice.

I once had to present a case to a "cheating" committee. I was team-teaching a class on the Republic and the students both copied out of the Cliff Notes, which hilariously we had shown the class we had copies of on the very first day (stupid stupid stupid kids). After the meeting, we were told by the committee to grade the essays "as though the parts that were plagiarized were not in it". It was a nonsense "solution".

As we were walking back to the department with our department chair, the chair said "flunk them". We did, and never heard about it again. I have complete respect for that prof. He said he'd deal with it if anyone complained.

7. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Ya know, if this were high school cheating, that would be one thing. But college? How hard is it to freakin' summarize something in your own words? My word.

8. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I almost wish some of my students would learn how to plagiarize. I graded a paper today in which the student wrote that Edgar Allan Poe was "Cuckoo, like that bird that's cuckoo for cocoa puffs." To make matters worse, he repeated the lame joke 3 times (in a 5 paragraph paper).

9. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Plagarism is the most insulting thing a student can do. I don't even like it when they use things like SparkNotes instead of reading the book. It insults me as a student who actually tries to read the book and form their own opinions on it (you know, like what the teacher intends for you to do in the first place:rolleyes: ). It's so ********ing stupid when the entire class has the same opinions on themes, characters, etc. It's not like you've been in a 20-person study group...

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    One of the funniest ones I remember is a woman I knew in college in Ireland. It's not hugely unusual for a person, especially an academic, to sometimes use the Irish or Gaelic version of their name, (as well as the English version for everyday use) so John Reedy could be Seán O'Riada. Others can be a bit more obscure; the surname Walsh translates as Breatnach, for instance.

Anyway, this woman, who was sometimes soooooo dumb really outdid herself, plagarising an essay on Jonathan Swift by the professor himself, published under the Irish version of his name twenty years prior........... I think she felt stupid.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Boy, is this timely... As is this one...

Only, you have to change "wiki" to the another one specified below...

because while I was teaching my night class my wife caught a student plagiarizing a presentation on 3 novels straight, verbatim, from SparkNotes.

Oh, and this is a class for senior English majors.

Yeah, my wife is pissed.

12. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I mean, it's just too easy, isn't it? Pathetic.

13. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't have that many in Scotland; only a couple who obviously got together and raped the same source in-between snuggles in the sack...again, pathetic.

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    A prof told me this one that a student at his last job tried to pull...

For a final exam, he obtained a blue book in advance and copied an essay from the internet into it. He goes into the exam, and to his dismay he realizes that the blue books being handed out have a different cover than the one he copied his essay into. Instead of just writing a new essay, he proceeds to turn in his blue book anyway, with a note on it that said:

"Mr. X: I didn't get a blue book when they were passed out, fortunately I happened to have one with me and just used that instead."

This is so stupid on so many levels. Obviously the plagiarism was dumb in the first place, but to then try to turn in a blue book that didn't match the others in the class is just idiotic. The prof said he probably wouldn't even have noticed the difference on the cover if the note hadn't been attached.

15. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    How hard was it too have it on his lap and just copy it? Geez man.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Absolutely the wrong answer.

Say nothing and if asked about the difference, still say nothing except to note that he used what he was given, and didn't even know his book was different from any others. Anything else complicates it waaaaaaay too much.

17. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Shakespeare acting class (in which you had to write papers as well) was taught by the chair of the department, who also happened to write about 5 of the Cliff Notes books for Shakespeare plays. He had actually had previous students that plagiarized his own work.

Now that's pretty sad. But i guess most kids stupid enough to plagiarize don't usually bother to look and see if the author was their professor. :rolleyes:

18. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    ". . . but . . . but . . . but your name isn't Professor Cliff!"

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Students are slowly losing the valuable skill of knowing how to ****************. Seriously. It's not that hard to write papers on books you haven't read without plagiarizing anything.

20. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Plagiarism goes on at all level though. University professors who should know better are involved in it themselves too at times. One of the lecturers when I was doing my PhD had to referee a Korean (I think) paper which happened to contain chunks of his own work.

I'm teaching now (secondary school) and do from time to time see phrases which make me think the pupil didn't write that. Google the phrase and get one hit, I know where they got it from. Thing is, all the pages I've found like that would have been useful source material, they just needed to select the appropriate bits only.

21. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Uh, you read my response the wrong way.

If you're gonna cheat, be freakin' smart about it. That story is similar to some one stealing someone's car and then leaving behind a note explaining where the car is going be the next day.

22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to say sometimes students do make me happy: my most annoying student dropped my class. I think that earned the cheater some grace since I was so happy about the other development.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a professor who had a student plagarize from the Cliff note's he'd written, as well. The way he busted him was great--he was handing out the papers, and had marked this kid's report with an A-minus. He stood in front of the kid, waiting while the kid looked at his grade, then wondered why the professor was still standing there. Then the professor said, "I gave you an A-minus instead of an A because I changed my mind about what I wrote in the third paragraph." He waited a minute for the kid to realize what he'd just said, then laid a copy of the notes in front of the kid, pointing out his name on the title page. Then he flunked him. :)

Thing is, this was at UNL--in Lincoln, Nebraska, home of Cliff Hillegas, inventor of Cliff's Notes. It was well-known that more than a few UNL profs wrote them, so you'd think that would have been a tip-off.

24. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha! that's where my prof got his PHD... he was writing Cliff Notes as extra income. i just found one of his 'notes in the book store the other day.. :)

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so surprised that at least one of my students plagiarized on her final.