Dear Jason Kreis

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    I hope you spent your Saturday night watching the various MLS games for some inspiration. We need from you a performance like any one of these:
    • Twellman with the Hat trick to get NE a crucial win over DC
    • Pescadito Ruiz bailing out LA with two late goals to overcome a 1-0 deficit on the road at Chicago
    • Buddle comes off the bench to help the Crew overcome a 3-1 deficit on the road at SJ by scoring two goals in the 2nd half.
    • Not to be outdone by Buddle, Graziani scores his 2nd goal of the game in OT to give SJ the victory over Columbus.
    Clutch performances by Clutch performers. Do you care to join them?

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It makes you wonder how much L.A. would suck without Ruiz.

Does anyone remeber the long shots Kreis use to take back in the day and he'd always score them. I was reading this old MLS Yearbook thing for 1997 and they were saying how Kreis was blessed with a cannon of a foot. So what gives? why doesn't he shoot the ball anymore, it seems the Burn want to take everything in the box for an easy finish. why not shoot?

3. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999

I am going to call foul on this one:

Burn fans just have no idea what Kreis has fought through this season. He has no less than three injuries currently and any one of them would bench most players. I know this because I have sat down and talked to the guy and you can see the pain he is in. Frankly, Oscar is the same way, although his is a single knee injury....

Kreis has owned a groin injury since early in the season that is well documented, and he now agrees that he should have sat out some games to rest it, although it was some of these games that he scored the game winners.

I think it totally unfair for Burn fans to call jason out for not turning in hattricks... Yes, he has a history of wilting in the late part of a season, but for 2002 he has put in a heroic effort.

You just dont know about it because he never complains, whines, sits out and fights through everything.

If you think the team is in a tough spell now, just imagine what it would be like if he and Oscar were sitting.

peet

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Dear Jason Kreis

Yes that would make sense. I don't mean to dog on Jason, and I'm sure no one else does either. He's always been my favorite Burn player and he truely is (along with Pareja) an asset to the team. He's still a card away from sitting a game (if thats good or bad)

Do you get a clean slate (sp?) once playoffs start?

5. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Re: Re: Dear Jason Kreis

Great! Because that is what I am calling too. Different reasons for the call, but it still is a FOUL.

We do know what Kreis has been going through because believe it or not we do listen to your radio show and we read the DMN and Ft. Worth Star Telegram. The degree of the injuries has not been covered extensively, but it has been well documented that Kreis has been playing hurt for most of the season.

If you are going to be the front-runner of the organization, you are going to take some heat when you don't produce. We are not asking for hat tricks, but we do ask for more than 1 goal in 13 games dating back to July 4th.

Playing hurt for a game or two can be heroic if the player makes significant contributions. Playing hurt and ineffectively is not heroic. It is actually the quite the opposite, for it hurts your team's chances. Valuable time that could have been spent building chemistry with the other forwards was lost because the other forwards had to sit on the bench behind Kreis, and now the season enters crunch mode and team is in a heap of trouble because the big gun is not producing and his backups are struggling to find their offensive rhythm and flow with the team.

Players are competitors, and as such they will always want to play. This is where the coach needs to step in. This past week we have been discussing the gamble that coach Jeffries took in going for the Open Cup at the expense of the Supporters Shield and homefield advantage for the MLS playoffs, but in my opinion the way he handled Kreis's minutes was the biggest gamble he took this season. Instead of giving Kreis the rest he needed when he needed it, he continued to play him, and now that there is no tomorrow he has wound up without him anyway (production wise).

I agree with you 100% about Oscar. Obviously, I do not feel the same way about Kreis at this point of the season. Give me a game in April or May and Kreis is cash money, but for a game in September he is a maxed out credit card. It has been that way for him every year, and it is that way once again this year.

If you look back historically at the Burn, the only team that actually managed to win a title was the 1997 edition when they took the USOC. The 1997 edition revolved around the offensive trifecta of Sutter, Damian, and Washington. Kreis was a role player on that team and spent a good portion of the season on the bench. Coincidence or not?

I would love to see Kreis prove me wrong this year!

La locura rojinegra

6. dburn157

dburn157 New Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I read some good points on both sides of this thread, but I have to go with Chamo on this one.

I've been a big fan of Jason's ever since I saw him play, but I thing Chamo has a good point about Jeffries, he need's to be a stronger coach when it comes to making decisions that go against what the players want instead of what's best for the team. I think that is exactly what happened in his decision to play the starters in the Open Cup. I believe also Jason is the type of player that wants to play until he can't walk.

I would like to see the coach bench Jason for the remaining two games and then evaluate his condition. Jason's production is obviously better when he's rested and maybe the time off the pitch will help heal some wounds.

And if Jason is not ready to play after the two games, at least you will have two forwards in EJ and Rhine or EJ and whoever (Chivas, ROB) that will have some time playing together.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, just realized we're going into 2 must win scenarios with no Cerritos, and an ineffective Kreis. Who's gonna take control up front? EJs slowly but surely showing he can play with the team and Rhine can never be counted on, so now what?

8. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Chamo..

I agree. Kreis has a history of going missing in late season stretches, but my point is that I felt that this season was different because he IS injured.

I also agree that Jeffries should have benched and rested the guy back when he stated he would many months ago, but Kreis really wanted to play. Did this cause the other injuries? Who knows?

Again, I agree with you main point about Jason, but I think you are missing out on mine. I think.

Kreis is hurt and to me that is the cause of his slump..... and add the fact that Oscar is suffering isnt exactly helping Jason's cause either.

9. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. While I applaud players that will play through pain, it doesn't always benefit the team. Etcheverry has played through pain the last two seasons for DC United, but really, he hasn't helped it win.

IMHO, what Dallas needs was/is two things:
    1) a healthy, rested Kreis for the playoffs, and
    2) a more developed Eddie Johnson.

If Kreis had rested and was fit now, I don't think the Burn lose 3 games in 5 days. If Johnson had gotten substantial game experience, and continued to receive it through the end of the season, they could be very productive goal scorers in the playoffs.

If Kreis isn't healthy, give him some time off. Practice light and don't play him a full game. Give the extra game time to Johnson.

I'd recommend this lineup at the start of the game:

--------------------Jordan----------------------
    Suarez-----Bonseu---Morrow-----Broome
    --------------------Deering----------------------
    Vaca--------------------------------------Chivas
    --------------------Pareja-----------------------
    ---------------Johnson-----Rhine--------------

I'd sub in Obrien, Kreis and one other depending upon the situation.

-Tron

10. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999

the problem with your lineup is Oscar... If you are sitting Jason, you have to sit Oscar. Oscar's injury is much more serious. He actually has tears in parts of his knee that need surgery but wants to wait until after the season.

The Burn's problems stem far more from Oscar's ineffectiveness rather than Kreis' problems...

11. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Oscar injury is not quite as bad as you make it sound because it doesnt hurt him that bad while he is playing. Maybe he babys the knee a little bit but thats to be expected.Oscar will show-up for the play-offs.The question is will Jason. Also,wasnt he also playing hurt last season too? Sound like you love him Hittman, but the bottom line is he has failed to show-up in the stretch run this year and seasons past..

12. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Well Chamo and Hitman have put the cards out there very well. But there is one simple answer to this. What is in the past, does not matter anymore.

The Burn can lose both games remaining, and still make the playoffs. Win both, they are almost sure to win home field in round 1. Everyone else in contention is now in a home and home that almost prevents them from dropping to 5th.

So now the gamble is, can you rest Jason and win the final two? Jeffries says that Jason improves with rest. So, he's got 10 days now. Rest him the final two games, and he's got over 20 days of rest before the first playoff game.

Against NE, why not put out

EJ Rhine
    Chivas Vaca
    Deering Pareja
    Broome-Morrow-Bonseu-Suarez
    Jordan

If they cannot get the job done at home with just 1 starter gone, and away against the league basketcase, it's a lost cause anyway. If you really want to mix things up, put Chivas up top with EJ, and start O'Brien. Or start Bussey or Behnke. But if Jason is as hurt as he seems, rest him now and roll the dice. I'm betting that even without Jason, they win enough to earn home field for round 1. Home field for round 1 against anyone is a pass to the semis. From there to MLS Cup is guts and luck.

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Kreis will want to play. So, with home field advantage on the line, Kreis gets the start. If we lose to the Revs, my guess is Kreis will sit. If we win, Kreis goes again Thursday.

But if he sits as you suggest,

I only have one change. And that's put O'brien and Rhine up top. I think Ronnie O is closer to a dangerous 90 minute player right now than EJ is. EJ can come in at minute 60 for a change of pace.

14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thats a good point, O'Brien would be a dangerous attacker. Why not try? I shutter at the thought of losing to the Revs, but I think we'll benefit in the long run if we rest Kreis for 20 days. He's not gonna want to, but thats where Jefferies needs to step in and look ahead. I'm more worried about the Revs than D.C., so maybe just rest Kreis in the D.C. game, better than nothing.

15. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    My guess is that he play too. Which is why the thread was posted in the first place.

La locura rojinegra.

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Oscar have the type of injury that would heal a bit with some rest? If so, I think the Burn may want to consider starting Jordan Stone in Oscar's place vs NE and DC.

Stone has done well in his limited playing time with the Burn, and should be able to capably fill in for Oscar if needed.

Although sitting Oscar and Jason for the NE and DC games would probably slightly lower the Burn's chances of earning the 4th seed, the improved team performance you'd expect with a healthier and more rested Pareja and Kreis may make benching them for the remainder of the regular season the smart choice.

17. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    all moot points now.. turns out Oscar is out for the NE game due to yellow card points over 3 straight mathces.

MARTINEZ BACK, BUT PAREJA OUT AGAIN
    The good news for the Burn heading into this weekend's match is that they
    will have the services of Antonio Martinez, who missed Thursday's match vs.
    the MetroStars after receiving a red card in the previous match. The bad
    news is midfield maestro Oscar Pareja will serve a one-game suspension after
    accumulating 11 caution points in three consecutive games. Both Pareja and
    Martinez have proven vital to the Burn's success this year. Dallas is
    10-5-6 with Pareja in the starting lineup and just 0-3-0 in games he has
    missed. The team is 10-5-2 when Martinez has started and 1-3-5 in games in
    which he did not play. Additionally, the Burn is 8-3-3 when Martinez plays
    60-plus minutes and 2-4-4 when he does not.

18. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    And really Oscar's injury does NOT improve with rest. Jason's DOES. That is FACT from the person who KNOWS. Witnesses heard him say it.

So now it's two starters out, both Jason and Oscar. I don't care, I still think they should be able to win it at home without them.

EJ might not "seem" 90 minutes fit, but he just came back from Spain where he most surely was on the field 90 minutes. And without Jason Kreis on the field with him, I think he'll show better than if Kreis was there. From having seen him, I think he needs to feel confident that he's the focus and play like it. I'm not sure he's really effective in a mostly supporting role. That's why Rhine and EJ might work really well, and why EJ and Amani-Dove were potent in the pre-season.