Dear ESPN...

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by taocpa, Jul 2, 2011.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We must be a tough audience here at BigSoccer even in the women's soccer forums. In the poll down there about what was great about the World Cup, less than half are voting for ESPN's coverage. I know some people have gripes here and there about ESPN but, like I said, we must be a tough crowd. I'd hate to be a comedian trying to work this room...

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For comparison, there was one game that went long (USA vs Brazil, maybe) and there was another game that was supposed to start one or two hours after the conclusion of the first game. "The Two Escobars" which was their piece on the Colombian drug cartels and the 94 World Cup was supposed to air between games.

However, the first game went long, and they ended up showing most of the second half of the 1999 final as well as the PKs as filler.

Brandi kicked that last PK, and ESPN went to commercial probably 30-45 seconds later. They came back and showed the USWNT celebrating amidst all the confetti as they were signing off.

My, how times change. :)

3. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are a tough crowd. But ESPN does what their bank account tells them to do and the game (especially World Cups where the US qualifies and is projected to do well) is just bigger in the consciousness now and they know more people will tune in to watch the US during the summer. Especially when there's a controversey where our "American spirit can triumph over." That's just good programming.