DeAndre Yedlin to?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by taylor, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :laugh::ROFLMAO::laugh::ROFLMAO::laugh::ROFLMAO:

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny. That's almost as believable as Kate Upton ditching Justin Verlander in favor of me. ;) :D

3. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grain of salt alert, but makes sense:

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would he be available if the deal were finalized before? That implies/assumes the deal involves a loan back to Seattle. I thought it was too late for that.

5. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The deal (as rumored) would not begin until after the season, negating the need for a loan-back.

In other related news:

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1232 m vann, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong ---- if DeAndre is out of contract in 6 months he can sign a pre-contract, that would begin in Jan., according the FIFA rules and regs. However, if he is not, which I suspect is the case since he signed a Gen. Adidas deal and his transfer value have been leaked, he would have to be transferred and then loaned back to Seattle . That's the only way to legally bind him to his new club and for the scenario to work. If it was just an agreement of sorts saying he'll join in Jan. all parties could walk away before that date without penalty. That would be a big risk for all involved. DeAndre would be wasting a lot of time for both himself and the Sounders when he could just wait and negotiate during the winter transfer window.

7. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are generally correct. There's no way they can negotiate a contract to transfer the player in 6 months. Only an informal agreement.

This deal is so weird to me. Why is he flying to Europe to complete medical exams if he's not being transferred now?

9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Does FIFA expressly forbid it?

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1236 m vann, Aug 12, 2014
    I think negotiations can occur club-to-club not player-to-club if that make sense. Once clubs agree to sell then you are given permission to negotiate personal terms (player-to-club) which I assume is what DeAndre is currently doing. I don't think players have legal standing to freely negotiate with someone else if they are not 6-months from the end of their current deal. Hence the reason for the pre-contract.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure. I think this above my pay grade. Any actual experts want to weigh in?

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's covered here:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/officialdocuments/doclists/laws.html

For some reason my desktop won't open the links but if someone is willing and able to sift thru the documents I bet the answer is in there.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that a club is not allowed to approach a player under contract without the parent club's permission unless it is within 6 months of the end of contract. I've never heard of a delayed transfer agreement but that seems likely to be because nobody wants to expose themselves to the risk of an injury...but I don't see why FIFA would forbid it.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't know if it's forbidden either. However, I suspect there is something in place due the unscrupulous behavior of players and agents in the past. Remember, the current format of the transfer window, was proposed and passed to improve club's stability and prevent agents and contracted players from searching, talking, and negotiating with clubs on a year-round basis. Of course, many will argue the window is unfair to the players.

15. Winds350

Winds350 Member

Sep 10, 2005
    As I recall, Arsenal bought Podolski before the transfer window opened in 2012. From looking at the FIFA regs, it seems he just can't be registered until the window opens, which I assume means the contract isn't in force until that time. No idea what would happen if the player got hurt.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did. However, I think, although not 100% sure, Podolski's club, Koln, had already secured relegation and there was a provision that he could seek a new club if they were relegated.

17. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously we don't have all info, but I am positive he is not close to the end of his contract. He is only in year two of his homegrown deal.

18. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is basically correct. The Sounders have a history of unusual deals when overseas transfers are involved) see: Montero, Fredy).

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it a few pages back I wish he was going to Roma. Chance to play sooner there. All about higher wages.

I hope we're not looking back at this move a year or two from now after his development has stalled.

20. Winds350

Winds350 Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Could have been, but I don't think that matters. The reports are that he was sold to Arsenal on April 30, 2012 for £11m, yet he played for Koln on May 5, 2012. So there would be nothing stopping Seattle from accepting a purchase for the next window with Yedlin continuing to play for them. The only difference seems to be the length of time the buyer is willing to wait.

21. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsene Wenger of all people was spot on when he said integrating seven new starters into a team doesn't happen within a half-season. And one of the reasons Arsenal excelled was because they had so little turnover.

whill4 repped this.
  22. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #1248 Sal, Aug 12, 2014
    TBF Roma did exactly that pretty well last season ;). From 6th to 2nd :D.

Totti----------------------------Osvaldo--------------------------Lamela

----------Bradley(Florenzi)-----------------Pjanic-------------
    --------------------------DDR(Tachisidis)-----------------

Balzaretti--------------Castan---------------Marquinhos---------------Piris
    ---------------------------------Steklenburg------------------ (Bold=Gone)

to
    (Bold=New)
    Gervinho-------------------Totti/Destro--------------Florenzi/Ljajic(Destro)

----------------Strootman-------------------Pjanic--------------

---------------------------------DDR------------------------------

Dodo--------Castan-------------------Benatia--------Maicon
    -----------------------------De Sanctis----------------------

23. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    so that he can back up Fabian Johnson, or vice versa? :)

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grantland article:

http://grantland.com/features/deand...nd-fame-transfer-to-european-club-mls-soccer/

If this all seems a little fast, that’s because it is. In fact, this growing obsession with Yedlin has made Klinsmann uneasy. Klinsmann declined to comment for this story, and U.S. Soccer spokesman Michael Kammarman relayed the coach’s reservations. “He doesn’t like the way the media hypes up these young players,” Kammarman says. “He thinks it’s even worse here than it is in other countries. The media is always looking for a young star, and that kind of attention can be really bad for some of these players. Just look at the guys who have dealt with it in the past.”