DeAndre Yedlin to?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by taylor, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://cottagersconfidential.sbnati...fulham-offseason-plan-part-4-transfer-targets
    The first player on my radar is someone I'm very familiar with, DeAndre Yedlin. He's the current starting right back for the Seattle Sounders

http://www.theguardian.com/football...fer-rumours-mario-balotelli-liverpool-arsenal
    it’s all about DeAndre Yedlin, USNMT’s MVP. He’s 20, grounded, fast like “a little bullet”, came through the Seattle Sounders youth ranks and,after last night, he’s ripe for an impulse buy. So will he be sold? “There’s always a number,” says club owner Adrian Hanauer. Which is true. There is.

ColeWCAR, vmax71 and Testudo repped this.
  2. cj19

cj19 Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Barcelona, Real Madrid or Man City. Where else. Its so obvious.

But in all seriousness, midtable or lower half England will come calling. Delicate position imo. He must get games to develop into more than just speed, but this might be his big chance to get the pay day and move to the next level. I would take the chance if I were in his shoes.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol, especially when they see his 92k salary!

ColeWCAR and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he have any way of getting an EU passport? That's the $64,000 question...

5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Yedlin goes to Europe. But does a dude's blog post in which he recommends Wil Trapp for Fulham qualify as a thread-worthy rumor?

6. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/live-transfer-news-latest-swansea-7356027
    We mentioned earlier our Facebook debate about the two USA defenders who shone against Belgium last night.

Here Gareth Rogers says why he thinks Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should move quickly to enter the race for DeAndre Yedlin and Matt Besler.

ColeWCAR repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes. If I remember correctly his mother is Latvian, and Latvia is an EU nation.........................

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yeah, there's no way Yedlin is going to a Championship club.

9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    He'd work in Italy.

10. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I always thought a good rule of thumb was to jump to a country's top division from the US. So I'm not really a fan of moving from MLS to the Championship.

Anybody who follows US youth stuff knows how talented Yedlin is. Just a matter of finding the right club situation for him when he leaves MLS.

Winoman repped this.
  11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he doesn't qualify as an exceptional talent for a WP in England, I'll personally go and knock on the door of Number 10 Downing Street and ask them politely to reconsider.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Pace - 10 out 10

I'd stay away from England though, unless the money is too good to pass.

And, much like with a potential Besler sale at SKC, the Sounders will actually benefit from the allocation money POV. In fact, they will benefit more, given their DP laden roster.

As a member of the WC quarterfinalist - how's that last place in the group, Roy? - the guy should be a shoo-in.

LouisianaViking07/09 and INKRO repped this.
  13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, please, please, anywhere but Britain....

NL for 2 seasons, or France, or Germany (Hannover anybody? Tell me Cherundolo couldn't turn him into a monster...)

NotreDameFlamengo and USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where then? If last night was any indication, he can hang with the best attackers in the world. His crosses are good but not perfect, and I'm sure there is some decision making and technique that he can improve. I would love to see him go to Hannover and train with ol' Stevie C for a few years.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    De Andre Yedlin is what Marvell Wynne could have been.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any league where he will be asked to do more than just run up and down his flank delivering and defending crosses...where he'll be asked to be flexible tactically, to move into the center and take part in multi-player movements

Of course, if he plays in Britain he'll get a lot of exposure to making excuses for why doing the things that don't work were the right things to do.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only he just...... what? Developed a soccer brain? Developed technique? Had better coaching? De Andre is a different player. They are both blazingly fast, but I don't know if the similarities extend much beyond that. De Andre is just 20. He has tremendous talent despite being raised in American academies. At 20, Wynne was nowhere near DeAndre in terms of ability.

ColeWCAR, bmo180, Dirt McGirt and 2 others repped this.
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just hope DeAndre Yedlin becomes what DeAndre Yedlin can be

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    #20 sidefootsitter, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    What Yedlin did yesterday, Wynne did at the 2008 Olympics - just blew by his markers as if they were wearing cement shoes. There was a lot of talk of interest from Europe but he stayed in the MLS and was even (foolishly) converted to a central defender role by Oscar Pareja, a waste of talent if there ever was one.

Tejas and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that DeAndre is doing that at age 20 against the best players in the world, not on the Olympic level, against guys like Mertens and Hazard who cost individually more than the entire value of our team on the open market. These are finished products, not rising stars.

USvsIRELAND and Greg Heaney repped this.
  21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Several matches in the WC for a 20-yo should get that fast tracked.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    After yesterday, I'd bet the top Belgian teams may be looking at him with interest.

Sandon Mibut and stonejh127 repped this.
  23. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Gary Smith moved Wynne to center back. Pareja just left him there. And it worked pretty well, making use of his recovery speed while limiting his technical deficiencies. We won an MLS Cup after all.

Regardless, I think Wynne's development curve had plateaued before getting to Colorado. But now he's back at right back and actually looking maybe better than he ever has since those youth matches, which is a nice surprise.

Your point stands, of course. Yedlin needs to view Wynne's career trajectory as a caution.

superdave repped this.
  24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Wynne never had the touch.

Wynne was blowing by people and being a problem at a youth tournament. This was the WC.