Dean is the man, the new poll finds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Oct 26, 2003.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
  2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, it's not even Halloween yet.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    It won't be Halloween until the Democratic National Convention.

4. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Definitely Sharpton.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Re: Re: Dean is the man, the new poll finds

The Dean-Sharpton seems to be a winning ticket. I think they are a prefect match.

All others are not a good fit - Kerry is too old, Clark is too independent-minded, Edwards is too unknown, Gephardt is too tired, Lieberman is too Bush...

So, it comes down to:

Dean and Sharpton for the White House!

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    IF Dean wins the Dem nomination, his running mate will likely be a moderate from the South or Midwest...Edwards is too greasy (I think Dean is a whacko but he's a very straight-forward, shoot-from-the-hip guy and I like that about him--Edwards doesn't fit in with this at all), so of the current Pres candidates Gephardt seems to me to be the best fit. Of course, it could be someone completely different (neither Cheney nor Lieberman ran for their party's Pres nomination last time around, after all).

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Dean is the man, the new poll finds

To quote Alec Baldwin... If they win I'm moving to Canada.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dean / Clark '04, baby. Let Clark do the heavy lifting on defense issues and courting southern moderates while Dean switches his focus to the economy and health care and rallies the traditional Dem base.

9. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nobody votes on the basis of the VP candidates.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Clark's been bad on the campaign trail, seriously injuring his chances for Veep.

I'm thinking Dean/Gephardt. Labor's in love with him, and Gephardt voted for the Iraq War and the $87 billion. The Republicans can't charge it's a completely anti-war/security ticket. And Gephardt is viewed as a moderate, but not like Lieberman (thought of as Bush Lite), so they would have a balanced ticket.

The Dems can't have a two-man hard-left ticket. Bush would win in a walk.

11. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    home states of the VP do, but generally, you're correct

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obie, that may well be the strongest political ticket. But I still would prefer the better ticket for governing, namely, a governor paired with a Washington insider. Say what you will about Bush and Cheney, they get their agenda passed. Clinton and Gore made a great team. Reagan-Bush I also.

It would be smart to pick someone who has run before, because the media will have already taken their shots. You don't want a Quayle-esque liability.

So it's obvious. Dean-Gore. ;)

riverplate, you're not exactly the go-to guy for analysis of the Democratic party.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian...I don't think they vote directly for the VP, but the choice is a reflection of the nominee's judgment. I think 1988 was a good example of that. Dukakis would have lost worse except that the VP candidates were so obviously a plus for him. Clinton's selection of Gore was a gamble, because it didn't do anything to balance the ticket...two moderate Southern young Democrats. But it signalled that he was a moderate through and through, not a liberal.

14. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't anyone ever mention a Dean/Graham ticket?

The benefits of Graham being on the ticket would seem to be:

- Florida is a toss-up state with a lot of electoral votes.
    - Graham also voted against the war.
    - Graham is strong on foreign policy issues.
    - Graham has experience working with Congress.

As a Dean supporter, I don't have a strong feeling yet for who should be his VP candidate but I wonder if I'm missing something when I never hear Graham's name mentioned. Is there something about Graham that I don't know?

Murf

15. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Dean is the man, the new poll finds

You joke, but Gore would not be a political liability. It won't happen but it's not as crazy as Sharpton.

Regarding the home state issue: A VP can make the opponent work harder to keep "lock" states. Just as Arnold's election in California will make the Dems spend money in a state that they thought was a lock, Dems would be best-off pulling someone like Evan Bayh (Indiana) or Mark Warner (Virginia) that makes the GOP work harder. (I have no idea if either of those two are feasible candidates; just examples.) Clark's an Arkansan with a broad southern Dem appeal - he wouldn't hurt the Dems at all.

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The general perception of Graham is that he's a nutcase. I have no idea why.

17. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clark's team has been in disarray, but the biggest problem with his campaigning is that he's been sick for a couple of weeks. He hasn't been able to hone his stump speech.

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Re: Re: Re: Dean is the man, the new poll finds

True, but the Dems are crazy if they try to get the GOP into a spending war. They should pick a VP from a state they think they actually have a chance to win. Actually, Hillary would be ideal, if she wasn't probably the most hated woman in America.

19. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Dean is the man, the new poll finds

For the GOP, they want the Dem nominee to spend money in California. For the Dems, they want Bush & Cheney to spend time in Arkansas.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Dean is the man, the new poll finds

So you think New York is a tossup state? Is that what you mean?

The Dems defending New York is about like the Reeps defending Nebraska.

21. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Bush the 1st would have gotten a lot more votes in '88 had Qualyle not been on the ticket.

Bill Q.