Dean First Democrat to Forgo Public Funds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Nutmeg, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Yahoo!: Dean First Democrat to Forgo Public Funds

excerpt:
    Dean, the first 2004 hopeful to qualify for public money by raising $5,000 in each of 20 states in donations of $250 or less, told The Associated Press last March that he was committed to taking it, in part because he believed in an overhaul of the campaign finance system.

He began to rethink that plan over the summer after his campaign saw an unprecedented flood of contributions over the Internet.

It appears Howard Dean is still in search of a principle or two he actually believes in...

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's proven he doesn't believe in unilateral disarmament. That should make a hawk like you happy. I don't get it.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He put it to a vote among his supporters and 85% of them (myself included) voted to forego it.

4. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    I think Dean should opt out. If he doesn't opt out, it seems like it would significantly reduce his chances of defeating Bush. My understanding is that Bush is going to raise $250 million. And isn't the federal limit $45 million? It seems like it would be so difficult for $45 million to compete with $250 million.

Also, the advantage that a lot of money gives a candidate is not a particularly morally relevant advantage. For example, one candidate might have an advantage over another in virtue of his being a better communicator. Or because he has good ideas. But the amount of money a candidate is able to spend isn't in that class. It is sort of complicated, because sometimes a person raises a lot of money because he or she has good ideas. But sometimes a candidate has more money to spend because of a personal fortune and/or because his ideas are ones that appeal to wealthier people. And individual wealth shouldn't be important to how able one is to affect the political process. We are all human beings, whether we are wealthy or not.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Re: Re: Dean First Democrat to Forgo Public Funds

I am a casual supporter of Dean. I will save 100 bucks for him in three months.

6. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Re: Dean First Democrat to Forgo Public Funds

Trust me, your vote didn't matter. In order to take part in the vote, you were required to contribute to the Dean campaign. In other words, there's a sucker born ever minute. A clever fund-raising scheme.

7. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Re: Re: Re: Dean First Democrat to Forgo Public Funds

Yeah, trust Ian. Cite me a source.

Even if you could, you still make no sense. How the hell can it be a SCAM when only those who have have a vested financial interest in a venture are allowed to make financial decisions?

I declined to cast my ballot precisely BECAUSE I had not financially contributed.

The campaign is scamming money from people who have not contributed? Think before you post.

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Dean First Democrat to Forgo Public Funds

How do you know I didn't?

You're just so full of it.