Dealing with bigger & tougher players

Discussion in 'Player' started by Effington, Dec 18, 2010.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    haha this is true.

i have a cousin, he is about 5 10" not really an small guy, i remember once he was going at it with a big uruguayan dude, the uruguayan was outmusclin him the whole time, and outplaying him too, but i love my cousins attitud, he would not give up and keep challenging him in every play, they almost got in fights about 2 times in the first half.

my cousin came out, he was like "he may be a great soccer player, and a big buy, but if he says one more thing, im going to kick his azz."

my cousin was a regional champ in judo (kind like wrestling), that dude can fight.

point is, the mental aspect is very very important, and it doesnt matter how big or small you are.

2. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [This is true to a certain extent, but it also depends on what position that you play & how much leeway is given to hard physical play by the officials in your league IMO. If you play as an AM or a play-making CMF & your league is full of hard-nosed, big-as-a-house midfield "enforcers" then ideally you have loads of space in midfield to avoid them or maybe you can get rid of the ball before said "enforcer" can land a hard tackle or a stiff shoulder barge on you.

But, if you're playing as a centre-back & nearly all of the bulky No.9-type C-Fs in your league are pushing you out of the way like you're a six-year old, especially in 1-v.-1 aerial situations, you don't have much of anywhere to hide IMO. Maybe it would be time to look in to changing positions or to try to get defensive "help" on one of these aerial "towers of power", especially on corners & dead-ball situations. Do you see what I'm trying to say now?]

3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    yeah, there are 2 positions he would not be able to play, the stopper one, and the defensive center mid... i was able to do the defensive center mid bc like i said, i anticipated almost every play with speed, reading the play also...

but for the most part you do not want those positions where you have to come in contact with your opponents all the time.

you want a position on the side or an attacking position.

but seriously, the best advice he can get, HIT THE GYM HARDER, GET STRONGER.

i heard stories of ginobili when he came to the nba, argentinians were not as big as nba players, he had not option but to go 200% in the gym, then eventually he started getting bigger, stronger and he became a great nba player.

4. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

1 person likes this.
  6. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

7. McWaters12

McWaters12 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A good defender will know when you make these runs

8. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [We still don't know what actual position (or positions) that Effington actually plays, but you are correct in that a dominant/talented back-line defender can be neutralized, or @ least have much of his effectiveness reduced, by using things such as intelligent passing & player movement IMO.]

9. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005

10. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    What actual position he plays makes no difference. Most likely he plays where the team needs him, like everyone else. This is senior soccer, not some youth match. The players know how to play the game. This thread is about attacking against bigger, stronger players. He has moved up a level of play. It is always challenging at first until you find yourself.

11. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

12. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

13. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    You are too defensive. My comments were not about you, but about the context of the original post.

14. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [Tell your story however you want, mate, but if you want to have a civilised discussion on this topic, that's fine by me. Now, as I posted before: what pos. Effington, or anyone, is playing makes a massive difference in how you handle bulkier, more aggressive opponents, relative to your competitive level of play, of course.

If Effington is playing as an AM or as a playmaking MF & he's having problems w/a Dreadnaught of a DM, hopefully he can use the greater space available in midfield & intelligent passing w/his team-mates to reduce this massive DM's effectiveness on the pitch. If he's playing as his side's No.9-type centre-forward (hopefully not) & his league is full of "giant timber" in CD & @ 'keeper, then he's not going to have as much room to hide in if he was playing in CMF. Do you see what I'm trying to say now?

Now, as other people have posted before: this is all simply an intellectual exercise unless we actually see Effington's league in action or we know a little bit more about him, the side he plays for & a bit more about the league he plays in @ the least IMHO.]

15. _Catenaccio

_Catenaccio New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I agree

some strategies
    a) You ask what to do to your coach
    b) try to post the same question in the coach section
    c)a little strategy, not cited previously.You use your weapon (speed) to "force" the opponent to commit a foul ,(whitout be more specific ,there are also specific techniques to do it,getting very low physical damage) ,more fouls= more yellow/red card.
    Ok, maybe is not too correct and so on..., but it is legal.Obviously there are many others strategies but i only added something not cited previously.

16. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England