De Rossi Il Capitano?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by bobarino, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It kills me to start this thread, but the question needs to be asked. Does De Rossi deserve to wear the captain's armband with Canna's retirement from the international team?

2. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There's a couple of people ahead of him in line, don't know where you got this idea that the captains band is passing to him automatically

Buffon
    Zambrotta
    Pirlo
    De Rossi

If I'm not mistaken

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not if he plays like he did today. We needed him to show up and he did the exact opposite. Just hope it is a one-off.

4. Ben Sahar redded

Ben Sahar redded Red Card

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Does it matter? I look at Slovakia and they have their youngest player as capt.

I don't see Buffon coming back with his injury, I hope Prandelli actually watches SerieA this coming season. I think De Rossi is a good pick for the capt., and I don't think anything today was necessarily his fault when he's surrounded with players he has no chemistry with.

Maybe the oldest player of the next squad should be given the band.

5. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    De Rossi has been kinda disappointing, yeah (the whole team has...even if we all expected to be crap, this is kinda ridiculous), and I'm probably just making excuses for him; but he just looks old. I mean, even beyond the homeless hobo beard, he just looks stressed out and tired in his face and eyes...he probably plays 50 games for Roma a year, 90 minutes, and is never, ever rested unless he's serving a suspension...and he's never injured either, which would actually be a luxury for him (if the injury were mild enough) to rest for a few weeks. Couple that with international tournaments three summers in a row, and you get a guy that is on the verge of breaking down, IMO.

Maybe I'm just making stuff up, but I just can't help but think he's probably played more soccer in the last three years than anyone else on the planet, or at least any other hard running midfielder on the planet.

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    De Rossi was crap today, but had it not been for him we would have closed the group with 0 points. Let's not forget that.

The only person that deserves to be crucified here is the coach.

7. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    It's ridiculous to blame De Rossi where he's not some magic maker from the start. The 4-3-3 isn't his style, then you put the bum Montolivo and over the hill Gattuso next to him and it's like he's supposed to make miracles.

De Rossi needs someone like Palombo next to him if anyone from this team.

8. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I thought De Rossi and Montolivo worked nicely in the 4-4-2 ... nothing wrong there except the strikers.

9. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would go with De Rossi or Chiellini. We need someone that will be around for a little while. I would love to see Gigi with the armband but I think he's done with the National team.

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    the players have to shoulder some of the blame, DDR included. I dont think he's captain material, forget about senority or his attitude. The fact that in some ways he is our best player right now tells you all you need to know about the state of the Italian NT.

11. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You kidding me, every club in Europe wants to buy him. And he's an example of the sad state of the Italian NT?

12. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The captain should be an oriundi, so he could teach the rest of these bums how they play in New Zealand

13. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    4-4-2 yes. 4-3-3 no way. And you're right, Iaquinta ruined all their play.

14. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    all i meant is the fact that he is our best player these days says a lot...and most of it isn't good.

15. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope DDR got this out of his system because he had a horrible tournament. Then again, so did everyone on the team practically.

16. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    DDR had a bad tournament (after saying how badly we wanted to make up for '06). So, I wouldn't say it's all rosy for him right now.

He doesn't deserve to be singled out, but he doesn't get a free pass either.

17. Denton52

Denton52 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Perth
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe other European clubs want to buy him because he will sell T-shirts coz i just don't see his brilliance. He's not a super ball winner, his vision/passing can be sub-standard, and not really an attacking threat. Good all round quality but if you have a good DM and another Pirlo... what position is he suited to?

And i saw the Australian players make less mistake than him which is troubling.

18. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The armband should go to the best player of the last decade, and I'm clearly referring to Andrea Pirlo.

De Rossi has no heart and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he retired form the NT in the next year or so.

19. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    DeRossi... "The Super Diver" for Captain?

I guess he will teach the team to dive too.... when thing doesn't go our way..

20. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Have you not watched any of Roma's games the past 5 years? The guy is a workhorse and has now emerged as the heart of Roma. It's hard to justify his place in the league to the NT...it's two completely different worlds. But, saying he of all people have no heart...is completely false man. And i'm not being biased bc i'm a Roma fan...Daniele is fantastic!!!

De Rossi caption...no.

Gigi stays captain until the day he retires...did you guys not see him on the bench...he's the true leader of the team.

21. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I dont understand all this De Rossi hate. Its not his fault Italy lack top world class players. Really when Italy had Baggio and he retired they had Del Piero and Totti to replace him. Who are these players that replace them? Cassano? Dont think so as he was never in their league. Maybe Balotelli if he can behave as I think eventually he could be as good as Vieri but as far as the 10 Italy dont have anybody that is world class. And dont get me started on the defense. It is utter rubbish.

22. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is true, but he made two-costly errors that led to goals this tournament. That cannot be blamed on the players around him. They were personal mistakes.

23. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sure he made those mistakes but to scapegoat him is ridiculous when this team played like they were in a stupor.

24. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not hating on DeRossi...

I think a leader should bring his team to play hard, to play creatively, and set good example. That person has to lead with example.

I think Buffon and Chiellini fit that mode... I have never seen these two player... set bad example....

May be you guys can correct me...

DeRossi played hard most of the time... I don't like his dive... and his complaining...... those are bad example... He should set good example if he is to be the leader..

I think he has not learn that yet..

25. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh. I don't know what other people said. Scapegoating him is wrong. The entire team (except maybe Pirlo and Quags) is at fault for their early exit. This of course includes DDR, as he had probably one of the crappier tournaments from the group, however.