De Rosario

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Dynamo_Forever, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for DeRo if they really did lead him to think he would be a DP for Toronto.

Will Toronto FC redo De Rosario's deal?

2. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot would depend on what the new CBA brings I suppose. Lousy if that is truly the way it went down but that is the nature of the business, unfortunately.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm leavin' this one alone.

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who exactly is DeRo's agent? I hope Dwayne made a change there.

5. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mo sure likes to screw over Canadian players.

6. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dero is glue to FC Toronto..Mom & Dad & Wife Family is all there at Mississauga ( south of Toronto ) & kids is now settle down at school..He is not going anyway ..Don't even think about Dero coming back..don't even blink.:cool: I think Dero is still in his prime for the next 2- 3 years..he should get more $ out of them..Good Luck Dero !!

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    De Ro is another player that really could be a DP, its too bad he never had a stint abroad (as far as i know). I hope he gets good money next season.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now we know why he went underground for about 6 weeks between the trade and when he showed up in Toronto. I can't say I feel too sorry for him, his guaranteed comp this year was $425K. He leveraged himself out of Houston for Toronto and lost leverage in the process when he showed up there.

You just get the sense he's never going to be happy with the money and will always be bothered he never got paid top dollar when he was one of the top 2-3 players in MLS.

He's on the downside of his career at this point and I can't imagine him doing much better than that from a salary point of view. I know he has 11 goals this year (as a forward-type mostly) but I don't think he has had the impact on the team and record that was expected - they're going to be challenged to make the playoffs.

9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your making an assumption that the timing of going to Toronto last offseason was his idea -- and that he wanted out. I'm not sure that is a good assumption.

10. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. He was quoted in the media as far back as '07 wanting to go back to Canada (along with Serioux) to see his family. I think DeRo fits at TFC. He's their star player. The Dynamo have moved on from him. We have younger guys who are doing their job in the midfield.

11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    but what we got compensated for him, just didn't make sense and it was so unlike our FO to settle for that. I still think something happened that no one talked about it. I think this little blurb about him wanting DP money was probably part of it, I just can't figure out if there was more to it than that.

I can't help but feel, that although he may be "home", his guys with this team, probably felt more like home, than that Mo circus in the Arctic does.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, DonJuego is probably right that it is a bit of rash assumption to assume that DeRo wanted out right then. I do think something happened behind the scenes that made Dom trade him right then and there. The fact that he tried to turn into J.D. Salinger for a few months is suspicious as well (tell me someone gets that reference)

Dom has a lot of Belichick in him in terms of misinformation on injuries and making the decision to move players with his head rather than his heart.

13. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like everyone is happy here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    you already had dropped a Ted Kaczynsky reference related to another matter so you couldn't used that one. you're down to bobby fisher and axl rose.

i miss this guy so much. he is the primary reason i actually learned to love the Dynamo. DeRo means a lot to some peeps around here for a lot of different reasons.

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    actually i think he moves players with his heart and not his head

I don't think we have anyone left that plays with that same kind of passion, which at times was a liability due to the cards, but I miss that volatility, which meant that he was either getting a red or taking over the match. We saw a lot of both. I miss having him around, I don't think anyone on the current team can get a crowd going like he could.

mark my words, after he is done playing, folks are going to look back and wonder if we ever saw such a complete playing career in MLS from any other player.

16. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, I think DeRo's replacement is also the person who resembles him most in terms of his level of commitment granted I do think that Holden displays it a little differently. Still, when you see Holden busting his ass on defense in the 88th minute of a 3-0 game or when you see Holden celebrating a goal with a goofy dance, you see a passion that is equal to DeRo's even if not displayed in exactly the same manner (probably because he's younger).

What I will say is that there is no one on the Dynamo, maybe even the entire league, with the ability to pull brilliance out of thin air the way DeRo does...and he can do it at anytime and make it look so effortless. One minute, you can be thinking to yourself that DeRo is having an average game and isn't getting involved and the next minute, you're screaming "HOLY SHIT!" because he pulled off something amazing...and it makes you completely forget everything you saw before it.

17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10-07-2008 Dynamo v. SanFrancisco F.C.
    2-1 by DeRo in 87th minute

[​IMG]

18. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    exactly-MLS Cup 2007

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    that DeRo would slack on playing defense, but still was one of Dom's starters tells you a lot of what coach thought of him as an offensive player.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd trade my sister for him to come back. If I had one.

I will tell you that the goals over the years following MLS that stand out in my mind, beside ours of course, is Wynalda's first back in '96, Pope's header from the Etch corner in overtime in the first Cup Final and De Ro's overtime clincher in '01 plus his freekick vs LAG at the Home Depot Center where the ball was hit with the laces but had the movement of ball hit to arch. The behind the ball angle video is a thing of beauty and indeed like Metroag said, people will be able to look back at the quality of this man for years to come.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said there was a personal animosity, I just think something hit Dom where he was concerned about some of these issues and traded him.

Post-game hugs don't really mean a whole lot in the world of sports - I think Kobe & Shaq hug each other.

I more like the tense forced NFL head coach handshakes.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he slacked and lazed around and just disappeared too much in 2008 to be considered the most passionate and intense player. No one tops ERob for me on the passion scale.

the 2005/2006 DeRo was special, the 2007 DeRo seemed a bit angry all the time and nicked up and 2008 DeRo was a mixed bag.

Still one of MLS' All-time 11 best for excitement, although you wonder how he could have found the field a bit more earlier in his career.

23. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeRo is a Dynamo legend. Three years, two cups. He was a true gamebreaker. Enough said.

24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this league you can't leave off the field anyone making $200k or more. No matter what they do ... you either move em or play em but you don't sit em.

25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Rey. DeRo is a big part of my following the Dynamo. You just didn't want to miss what he might do on any night.

I also think DeRo is one of the most under-respected players in the league for what he brought. The guy is really really good. He plays big. Strong. A physical presence. SPeed. Explosiveness. Two footed.

If you do a Youtube search on "10 best freekicks ever" you will find DeRo right there up with the greatest names in the game for his 2005 GOTY against LAG.

I think an argument can be made that DeRo is the greatest player in MLS history. Certainly best 11. No qualification either. Flat out best 11 and arguably THE Best.