De Rosario 2011 MVP

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ImNumberTen, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remarkable season. Traded twice and still wins Golden Boot & MVP (while winning all three MVP voting groups: club reps, players and media).

Congrats to DeRo!

[​IMG]

2. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a question, has an MVP in any american sports league ever been traded mid-season? How about being traded twice?

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm happy for DeRo, but am feeling pretty bad for Brad Davis.

4. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davis had a helluva season, unquestionably. While I wanted to see DeRo get it -- and I am admittedly biased as a DCU supporter -- I thought Davis not only had a strong case for MVP, in my mind he was the slight favorite (because DCU failed to make the playoffs).

That said, I've always been in the camp that believes "most valuable player" is simply "player of the year".

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to watch many Houston or DCU games this season, but DeRo really earned a lot of character points for keeping up his level of play despite getting traded around like a sack of potatoes. 99.9% of professionals would have mentally quit, citing disrespect. What he accomplished demonstrated true dedication and love of the game.

His overall MLS record is especially heartwarming because I'm a DeRo fan going back to when Yallop kept him as a benchwarmer, and I kept lamenting why.

6. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I sort of get it, but Most Valuable to whom?

Should have been Brad Davis in my book...

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks, Hans Backe!!

8. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeRo winning the MVP award is definitely interesting in terms of gauging what constitutes an MVP-season: Is it playing the best soccer of your MLS career and helping propel a championship-caliber team studded with good players into the playoffs (like with Davis and Beckham), is it to secure a second Supporter's Shield (Beckham), or lifting up and carrying your average, build-in-progress team to a respectable finish like with DeRo? Hmm...

9. Gallade

Gallade Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    if it was named "Most Outstanding" there'd be no debate. but i'd say the consensus is that MVP is the same thing since we don't have separate awards for both.

i was thrilled to see it. TFC didn't need him in a rebuilding year, but I was stunned when NY got rid of him. when i saw him in TFC@DC he put on a heroic performance.

10. MikDonsen

MikDonsen New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yeah he should be called a league builder, Im a tfc fan naturally, and Im now a DC fan because of him.