dcunited.com

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by KyleSheldon, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Basically, in 2001 CONCACAF invited a handful of clubs to a tournament, with the finalists going into the 2002 CONCACAF Champions Cup. In the first round, in April, we played Jamaica's Arnett Gardens, beat them something like 6-1 on aggregate. Then, in August, we beat Communicaciones 2-1 to advance to the final, where we lost 2-0 to America. The tournament was a huge failure at the gate and never repeated.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the invite based on team attendence, not record?

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF was going to have a "Clubs Cup" that decided the spots in the Club World Championship -- that cup was going to be among the top finishers of the Champions Cup and the Giants Cup.

As Lanky said, DC finished as runner-up in the only Giants Cup.
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=281
    When CONCACAF decided not to have the Clubs Cup and nixed future Giants Cups, they honored the promise that the Giants Cup winner and runner-up would have a shot at the Club World Championships (as they were then scheduled to happen). Since they were only going to have the Champions Cup (not a Clubs Cup), DC United's Clubs Cup berth was converted into a 2002 Champions Cup invite, which is why DC was in the '02 Champions Cup despite not having been an MLS winner or runner-up since '99.

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Attendance and past performance, I think were the stated criteria. Columbus were also invited, and they had never been anything but our bitches, and their attendance was nothing special, so there was always some wariness about that. I think they were trying to create a UEFA Cup-like tournament with the second-tier teams, but, as befits CONCACAF, they screwed it up in a number of ways. That home game against Arnett Gardens was fun, though. That was the first of Lisi's late game-winners.

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was the premise... they handpicked the "biggest" clubs from each association around the confederation for a tournament of "giants".

http://www.concacaf.com/view_archive.asp?id=168

Clubs in the only Giants Cup:

6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus had the "new stadium spike" in '99 (first in attendance that year by a handful), so if that was in the mix there was a bit of a case for them. Still, I think DC & LA would have still been the top two over a 99/00 two-year period.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Columbus' attendance in 2000 was 15,451, down about 2,200 from 1999 (the first year of the Erector Set). LA had increased from 17,632 to 20,499. LA didn't need to be in the Giants Cup, though, because they had already won the 2000 CONCACAF Cup, which wasn't played until January 2001. It would've made more sense to invite the Metros, who were 4th in attendance in 2000 and had their best-ever team at the time (as opposed to Columbus, who only had a slightly better record than us in 2000).

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA's '00 Champions Cup win was supposed to get them (and the runner-up) into an earlier version of the Club World Championship (the one in Spain), but the '03 Clubs Cup was to be for the '01 and '02 Champions Cup winners (there turned out not to be an '01 Champions Cup) and the '01 and '02 Giants Cup winners. So, I think LA was still going to need to earn their way into that '03 Clubs Cup. Not sure why they didn't participate, though.

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i find it impossible to believe something promoted by the genius of CONCACAF could end up a failure with poor attendance. jack warner is the new messiah. i think you are part of a conspiracy to smear him
    :eek: :eek:

10. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I thought there was a 2001 Champions' Cup. I seem to recall KC getting slaughtered somewhere in Central America sometime in mid-season...

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    When have I ever claimed the contrary?

That said, I don't think a UEFA Cup-like competition for the second-tier teams in CONCACAF is a bad idea. But they should sort out their continuous problems with the CCC before adding another competition.

12. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Maybe when the region improves. The quality of teams is heavily skewed towards the top, and UEFA-Cup-equivalent tournament would make for some pretty soporific viewing.

And coming from someone who'll watch pretty much any soccer, that's saying something.

13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Eliminate the obligatory Carribean team (which won't happen under Warner, though) and I think it's much better.

14. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the 2000 one got pushed to early '01 and there was no '01 edition.

KC was in the '02 edition -- that 1-6 loss (2-7 on aggregate) to Morelia (after KC had advanced two rounds) was then.

List of winners here.
    Box scores from KC's 2002 Champions Cup games here.

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Very cool headers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
  18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those are very cool.

What a ride Brian Carroll has had. Not even a sniff of a game three seasons ago to the top of every couple of pages on the website.

19. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    so, who blinks first?

20. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Has anyone ever seen Etcheverry blink??

;)

21. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I don't think he even has eye lids.

Great job on the site... Love he header banners.

22. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah those headers are VERY nice-bridges the incredible success of the old days with the current players

23. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    None of Jaime or Ben, though...

24. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah I want MORE...those things would be great screen savers or what-have-you

25. KyleSheldon

KyleSheldon New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep an eye on the site for other players in the headers throughout 2006.

-Kyle