DCU, wedded to the past, and in an unhappy marriage...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by uniteo, Aug 2, 2002.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion:

DC is too enamored of past team success, and is far too deferential to the old guard, constantly tinkering at the edges in hopes that by keeping old stars, and adding a precious few phenoms (Convey and Q1, now Q2) they will have the core to win.

But by relying on MAE, Moreno, and Little Ritchie (dare I say Pope?) DCU uses up salary space that could land them several above average players, and stunts the growth of younger players.

This is the 3rd season that Convey has been "not ready yet" to take over the #10 spot. There is only one way he will get ready and that is to play the #10, making mistakes, making great plays, and always gaining experience. But for the 3rd year in a row, DCU is deferring this chance to blood Convey for a shot at sneaking into the last playoff spot.

MAE - what can I say, it saddens me, but it's obvious that league play has passed him by. He doesn't have the legs anymore and is no longer head and shoulders above most players talent-wise. Sure, he shows magic, and has a great mind for the game, and nobody can tarnish the contributions he has made to MLS and DCU, but it is time for him to move to the bench. Wouldn't it be great to see Marco as DCU's coach down the road?

Moreno - you can't build a team around a guy who plays 10 games per year. Undeniable talent, great excitement. If salary space gets cleared up elsewhere, he may be worth the cap room. But is his contribution worth the cost to DCU at 2 or 3 other positions?

Williams - same deal as Convey at #10, is that last playoff spot (maybe) worth entering next season with ABMOD as our only experienced D-mid? At a year older and an inch shorter?

Time to let go of the past, DCU hasn't won hardware for nearly 3 years and the old guard is not going to do it this year, and is less likely to do it next.

As with the Orioles, it is a lot more fun watching 19 and 20 year olds busting their guts and losing then 30+ year olds jogging around and losing.

2. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Very interesting post. I think I generally agree with your idea here, in reference to MAE, Moreno, and Pope. I certainly don't say we need to get rid of all or any of them, but whether their recent contributions have been worth their expense is certainly something to think about.

I don't really agree with your point about Convey though. A lot of people seem to think that he will (or should) eventually step into Etcheverry's role, but I'm not actually sure he's really that type of player. At least not for a long while, when his youthful energy is past him and he needs to settle into a more 'experienced' role...

3. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    You pose a tough and challenging question, although one that has been asked before. It's very tempting to say let's start from scratch, dump Etcheverry, Moreno, and Williams, not to mention McKinley and Ammann as well.

Here, for example, is what the team might look like then:

--------Rimando
    Reyes--Pope--Nelsen--Prideaux
    Olsen--Alegria--Convey--Mapp
    -----Quaranta--Quintanilla

Wow would United be FAST?! Use the salary cap room to fill the holes in the depth chart. Ali Curtis, Villegas coming off the bench. Doesn't sound so bad, but the lack of size and experience could be painful to endure. That, and the fact that Ray Hudson seem to prefer players with more pedigree might mean you'd have to throw out the coach in the bargain, too.

One word of caution, though. Remember when Rongen gutted the team? In one off-season United sloughed off Agoos, Llamosa, Williams, and other in one fell swoop, and that didn't work out too well. Of course, those who remained were still being coached by Rongen.

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you see Marco, Ammann and McKinley move on. Mostly through retirement. Then you have the cap space to make a move, for say a Daglish or other MLS player. Moreno moves back into the playmaker role and things turn around. With only one more season with Olsen (2003) it is the time to catch "lightning in a bottle".

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    The team will look different next year, there is no doubt about it.

We shall see what happens.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but why not get some players significant game expereince now, so they're better prepared for next year?

Convey in the middle, Chino or Namoff at D-mid. They shouldn't be question marks next year but DCU is repeating the mistakes of the past 2 seasons...keep the old guys in in hopes that miraculously the team will play in a completely different manner than they have for the past month. Then your best result is sneaking into the playoffs against a top seed that has home field advantage, and another opportunity is wasted.

7. PFKing15

PFKing15 New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I agree. Half the season is over and done with. It wasn't a pretty half -its time to try something different, its time to see what luck moving around the players brings about

8. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider the source, but Marco may already have something in mind:

http://www.ussocceruk.com/modules.p...le=article&sid=35&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

[take_with_sizable_grain_of_salt]
    Also noted was the role that Gazza would take, with sources adding that he would fill Marco Etcheverry's role in the midfield, with the Bolivian veteran apparently set to retire from the league at the end of this season, possibly to take up a role with his national team.

"This is a chance for a new and exciting era in Bolivian soccer," said Etcheverry only this week. "I really don't know whom to suggest as a head coach but yes, I would like to assume that position in the future. But I would like to really prepare for it beforehand."

[/take_with_sizable_grain_of_salt]

There's a lot read into what Marco actually said (if he actually said it).

And yes, I think Gazza would exactly fill Marco's role as talented, aging midfielder who should probably move on. Do we want so veteran a veteran stepping in to replace Marco if he does depart??? I don't think so.

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I say that Marco will retire it is my opinion only, not based on any facts or other real information.

10. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood. I happen to agree with your opinion and didn't intend to call it into question.

My cautions were solely intended to note that this particular website rarely has "facts or other real information."

11. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Yes. We are living in the past.

But, it's a so much better place than the present.

And we hope to someday live in the future... :)