DCU vs Yellow Team that Hasn't Scored in 360 Minutes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Petworth Posse, Apr 29, 2022.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 bigredfutbol, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    I think you overstate your case here (we did make the playoffs a few times and won a USOC during that stretch) but I do agree that the FO and much of the press seems to be giving the players a pass.

This, I agree with.

Alejandro 10 and GumbyG repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to move on from this discussion, but after talking with my son (who's playing for--or at least training with--a semipro team in Europe right now) I've come back to being a little dismayed at how the club made a big point of bringing in a very young coach with a particular style he wanted to implement, and then seemed to just step aside and let him flounder while not helping him acclimate to the very different sporting culture here.

sitruc, Alejandro 10, GumbyG and 2 others repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speculation can be what it is. You will not succeed trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

please don't take my position as a support of the Soccer FO (different than the real estate FO). they did not give Losada the players to succeed in his system. far from it.

however Losada kept pushing that square peg as hard as he could. that is why he is gone.

I am actually in favor of the high press, in the first and last 10 minutes of each half.

hell even Liverpool does not high press for the full 90, they use it tactically, maybe a lesson there for Losada to learn................:rolleyes:

GumbyG, Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that whole 'It's a results-oriented business' thing is truer--and sometimes harsher--than we always recognize.

Hopefully he WILL learn. He's young, he's ambitious, and he's got a vision. If he adds a bit of tactical flexibility and better man-management to his toolbox, he could be a successful manager with a long career.

GumbyG, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #105 song219, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    The FO did this for our benefit. The trauma to a fanbase that moved from a losing team to a winning team is heartbreaking. It's like the bends when a diver is brought up to fast. The FO has saved us/

DCU and Winoman repped this.
  6. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Its hard to see why you would bring in Losada UNLESS you wanted to play his style which he advertised clearly. That said, its hard to see why he would not change his style UNLESS he was inflexible or incapable of changing/had no plan b.

The team might have been able to pull off a variant of Losada-ball with Paredes and Arriola, but certainly not with a Loudon-centric team.

In fact, I'm hard pressed to see what "style" would fit this misshapen group. They can't play fast (Etienne seemed in a different gear from our mids and backs), they don't hold the ball enough or have enough consistent ball skills to play pretty (Flores is no Etcheverry), and the midfield/forwards aren't the types to play a "tough"/physical style.

Add to that the tactical creativity that is Ashton ball. What could go wrong?

7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The FO clearly wants to play the likes of Estrada and Flores and other losers who don't deserve to be on the field. Those are the kind of issues that likely caused friction and aren't being discussed. It's a shame Estrada had the world's laziest header goal, he got a free reset on his 'lazy ass bum' timer.

PSURoss repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't Flores (and several others I could name) played himself out of the lineup by now? How much more evidence do you need?

PSURoss, Alejandro 10 and shawn12011 repped this.
  9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Do we even have a full roster? I know we started the season with less than the max. I guess the draft picks and homegrowns fill it out, but still, this team.

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    All we need is for him to miss a game to watch a World Cup match ala Djorkaeff.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youra Djerkoff!
    [​IMG]

Daniel le Rouge2 and GumbyG repped this.