Pre-match: DCU vs. the Scum of the F'N Earth

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So looking at those midfielders not playing much, who really warrants playing time? And at whose expense? The problem is that we've got limited quality and no depth. we got ourselves some ok starters, but haven't created a situation where anyone is really being pushed for time and forced to improve. Same thing for the back 4, assuming you believe they;re a group of MLS grade defenders. At this point I am voting NO on Brilliant, Fisher and NDL. I'll be generous and say Birnbaum might be and the jury is still out on Mora, but I think we all know better

Looking at the defenders is just a train wreck.Trying Durkin at CB isn't a horrible idea. I liked it earlier in the year and perhaps to get Canouse on the field and put our best 2 defensive players on the field is the best move. The real issue is that we're 3 games into the summer window and there hasn't even been a hint of a defender being brought in. And based on how long visas and stuff took last summer, we're pissing this year away like last year.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure pissing away this year (at least in the standings) was part of the business plan for 2018

3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Winning games against RB is actually important for preserving our rivalry. It’s clear MLS wants to end the rivalry and recast it as NY vs NY and DC vs Philly but it’s artificial at best. The problem is that a new stadium and other new dynamics means less memory of the rivalry and less commitment to the rivalry from our own FO, announcers and others. The last straw for the rivalry ending would probably be it becoming too lopsided and not heated enough. We hold a better record against them but we have 7 wins in 28 games against them since 2010. Has to improve.

4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably gonna try to find the elevator up tomorrow. I found out on the 14th that 4 flights of stairs + my the shape my left knee is in right now = lots of pain.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, if anyone is looking to go to this, I'll sell my extra ticket for my cost ($50). You're guaranteed to be under the roof on the East side of the stadium.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A lot of the cube isn't really accessible. It's a strange set-up.

FWIW,

Winoman repped this.
  7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I wonder if people around here are going to eat a 50% price hike like the LAFC fans are, with the difference being our inverse place in the table.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #33 Q*bert Jones III, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    We may hate them but we haven't been relevant for a decade. Meanwhile Manchester City USA moved next door and has been routinely good. That rivalry is dead.

Deadtigers and NicktheGreek repped this.
  9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Damn you for blowing my delusion. I'd rather not have a rival, than have philly as out rival, How about that.

10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean Philly fans were basically DC fans until they got a team, and we do have some grudge matches, almost wrestling matches. The problem is Philly isn’t a good organiafion and won’t ever be good, at least we have a chance to turn it around. Having a shitty team as a rival is no good.

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yep. If being close is all it takes for a team to be a rival, I'd just assume declare the Richmond Kickers DC United's rival.

Deadtigers and Winoman repped this.
  12. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louden United is our rival

Deadtigers and Winoman repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    DC United's biggest rival is DC United's front office.

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    [
    That beer bar crew from Ballimer could become the usual suspect. They put up a real scrap for 30 minutes which is more than United have done against other MLS teams in the past couple of seasons

Winoman repped this.
  15. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is BB planning something tonight?

16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You should be asking if the Official Supporters Group is planning something. After all, they're Official.

Since they failed to let anyone know about the new "Our House" banner, we all decided to shit on it before finding out it was fan-designed. In partnership with their partner, I think.

Also, from their web page...

"The reserved section is for the tailgate crew. The crew organizes the tailgate and makes sure everyone has enough to drink; some of them regularly miss the start of matches as a result. That’s why we hold prime space for them. Respect it."

So, the screaming eagles have the right to reserve seats in the General Admission section. Great!

Thx,

Jay!

17. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Barra Brava will be there. Not sure how many were actually able to get tickets but Barra is officially attending and should have some drums. Not sure about flags and other stuff. But it's not a boycott or silent protest like it was for the opener against Vancouver.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is something they did in RFK too. This is a dumb thing to get worked up about.

19. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just asking a simple question since they will be there in official capacity now. I don't need the other BS or personal feelings about another group.

John L repped this.
  20. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't 50% - some seats that were really cheap when up 30-40%. There was no real increase on the supporters section - the rest were in the 10-15% range.

22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I was going off of this page. I was kind of wondering what the pricing tiers were like in LA prior to the hikes. I do kind of expect that they're looking right at the west stand seat holders for price hikes. That's nearly all if not entirely STHs who are mostly paying $40-50 a seat/game. They're not doing it to the SGs and the club/field level/box holders are all on 3 or 5 year contracts.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Is it? If I bought a season ticket in a general admission section, I don’t see why someone other than the stadium/team can tell me where to stand. If they are roping off seats, it’s to the detriment of unaffiliated supporters.

Thx,

Jay!

Dizi repped this.
  24. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C’mon, DC! ATL is pulling for you boys in this one. You have some solid attacking players, and we saw the result of that in that first goal.

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you that my two seats were $64 (together) per month. Now they are $87. That's a bit of a hike and it apparently effects the south end more than the rest which makes sense. I commented when I purchased the two seats that the price was really low on a game by game basis. I am going to pay for next season but any increase after that I will be weary about. This season I have been able to sell weekday seats as needed for mostly double my single game price and for some much, much, more. That has offset the costs a bit.

James