Pre-match: DCU vs the Club Foots of Montreal

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 23, 2022.

1. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was at the game, to make things even more dire, my car died on the way home and I was stranded for a long bit. Just got the dead vehicle back in front of my house for now, but she's probably a goner..

Talk about a foreboding conclusion...

You know what I can say that hasn't already been said a 1000 times already, I'll just add this had to be the only game I think I have seen in years were the players were literally SLAMMING into each other! It was atrocious.

Winoman repped this.
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    At the starting lineup, it was obvious we were conceding the game. I can understand using a lineup like that for an away game on a Wed night. But NOT any Home Game.

And I can understand putting in one or two young players to try them out. But when you throw out so many weaker players, they have none of your better players around them for support. That, plus atrocious plays by Pines (who I thought had played well at the start of the season) were like last year.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts after sleeping on it:

Djeffal and Durkin as the midfield in an empty bucket was pretty awful. Both were listless to actively damaging for much of the game outside a nice pass or two from Durkin that we needed much sooner than we got. Neither should start moving forward. I think Palsson, Canouse has to be looked at as our starters with Nyeman being the next man up as he gets fit.

Kimarni Smith has the spirit and definitely should have gotten a penalty (probably should have sold it rather than playing through but still). That being said, i'd feel way better if he was a Loudoun stash who'd we call up only if injuries were piling up. Not sure he's really an MLS level player on most nights.

Given it was a very new lineup, there were definitely a lot of chemistry issues that affected the level of play. There were stretches where we were playing very well as the game progressed that was encouraging. If their GK doesn't make some great saves in the middle of the game we probably come away with point or 3 despite how bad we looked.

We need to sign an entirely new backline and GK. I'm not convinced anyone we started on the backline last night is starting or even backup material. Samaki is terrible, Pines is an experiment that needs to end, Birnbaum is washed and Skundrich is also terrible. Romo i wouldn't mind giving another chance with competent players in front of him, but honestly i'd feel better if we signed a good gk and had him on the bench.

Berry and Taxi connected together well and had some nice play between the two. Would have been nice to see Berry put one of the attempts into the back of the net but the GK made some good saves.

Rodriguez was a bit up and down but that's to be expected, i'm interested to see how he does as he gets settled in.

COA really needed to thread a ball to Taxi in that moment late in the game and not take so many touches. In general though I think he made his case to at least stick around as depth at outside back. Definitely put in a pretty decent shift

dcu n bntwn, sitruc, griffin1108 and 3 others repped this.
  4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best summary so far. I'd round it out by saying Hopkins already has good vision and instincts, and should be part of any starting rotation. His set piece delivery really is top notch.

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the few good moments for me last night was KuDi's anger at being subbed off. Of course, Najar took his place, so the overall lineup quality probably improved, but the kid was active and engaged and really, really, wanted to stay on the pitch. Got to like the spirit.

Alejandro 10, morange92, GumbyG and 4 others repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my car died back at MLS Cup 97. long night. :(

7. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He drew the foul that led to the goal, he was right to be mad, as long as he can let it go and get ready for the next opportunity.

ImNumberTen, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  8. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    So do you think that your car was trying to tell you something? Like "Please God, no, I beg you, don't make me go back to watch this crap..."

Or do you think the shock was just too much for the old vehicle? Too much negativity, too much disappointment led the old pistons to give out?

I have a 2009 BMW that I used to drive happily to RFK. I'd drive in with the top down, red leather interior shining, salsa music blaring on the way to glorious 4 hour tailgates.

Not "asking for a friend". I am trying to preserve my beloved car!