Pre-match: DCU vs teh Kittehs.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 31, 2022.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Orlando ladies and gentleman

Winoman repped this.
  2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LET'S ********ING GOOOOOOOO!

THREE POINTS!

bigredfutbol, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  3. Ian Scullen

Ian Scullen Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Sweet goal by Durkin. I love Taxi. The boys never gave up. What a game. VAMOS UNITED!!!!!!

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first off we had no business winning this match.

As a DC United and a Manchester United fan it's nice to see Wayne brought Fergie time with him.

How did this front office actually find Taxi?

Well Rodriguez did not impress me, now it was only 1 game but I barely noticed him.

Quick put these 3 points in the books and run!!!!

Alejandro 10, dadman and JRHokie repped this.
  5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a massive change from how the team played under Losada, United attempted 569 passes tonight.

569!

Alejandro 10, Mountainia, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Rodriquez and Kamara opened up the left and were the only reason we stole the game

7. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #57 smakawhat, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    I don't know what it is, but Rooney has got Orlando's number or something.

At halftime he must have been in the locker room with a truncheon saying don't come back unless you win ....

Man I can't even imagine what was said but I would have been screaming bloody murder myself, cause we finally needed a fire lit up some player's $$$!!!

sitruc, Winoman and Yowza repped this.
  8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the player that opened up space and added speed of thought, ball movement, and play didn't impress you. Never change...Never change.

superdave, Alejandro 10, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of those how many were positive? Legit ask.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough?

There's no easy way to answer that with how MLS's chalkboard works.

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez did hit the long diagonal to set up the game winner. I thought he was active and, other than some iffy crosses, quite good.

Offshore, Mountainia, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3 points.

Winoman and Yowza repped this.
  13. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for the first 65 minutes I would have agreed with you.

But the lads threw whatever they could for the last 30 minutes in the driving rain, with a ref who kept giving advantage to Orlando if we even laid a finger on them, and then they played like it was this or relegation. Or getting beat up by Rooney, and never living that down, or truncheons, whatever..

If the other team can't handle it.. they deserve to lose... so the right team did win.. perhaps not the better one

That said there were a group of guys who all bought tickets for the match sitting in front of me about 8 of them, and at the 85th minute they bailed... oh well.

Offshore, Mountainia, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  14. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The ref was extremely fair, and tried to get play to continue despite theatrics on both sides. I think he deserves credit and not the usual “refs stink” routine.

Mountainia, dadman and Yowza repped this.
  15. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    What an ending. First half was about as trash as we've ever been. Much of the second half was pretty, pretty good.

Nice first win for Rooney. Rodriguez looked pretty good. Morisson, not great, but at least better than what we've had. Berry not very comfortable.

The usual suspects were bad, as usual. Romo was hilarious. Learning ability and memory of a gerbil, making the same mistakes over and over again.

superdave, Mountainia and Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least 550 were lateral and back passes. :)

sitruc repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not notice him. Now this was the first game I saw from him, he can easily improve to me.

Change is a four letter word, lol :D

Mountainia repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I want to add the ref didn’t review the second goal that was maybe offside and did review the clearly onside first goal. So if he’s not a bro who is.

Mountainia repped this.
  19. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blind pigs and truffles…..

shawn12011 and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I wasn't sure if maybe nobody was in the office in Atlanta and there was no VAR for the game.

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    OK, I was there, but I had to watch a replay of the last 10 minutes when I got home to confirm what I thought I saw. Maybe it was just the day, I saw Max Verstappen win a race by 9 seconds after starting 10th on the grid, so I guess it's possible that a team that looked dead can score two goals in injury time and win a match.
    The first half was dreadful.
    What changed the second was the subs. Najar was much more troubling to Orlando than O-A. Rodriguez was a major upgrade over Djeffal. Poor maligned Ola Kamara had the skill and smarts to find Durkin on the late run. Smith provided danger on the left that Guediri couldn't provide.
    I'm really done with Djeffal -- he has had two dreadful matches in a row. The kid is just in over his head and should go to Loudoun and work on his game. Morrison is far more useful in that role and his play makes Durkin's game better as well.
    Among the many things this team still needs is an MLS quality left back and an MLS level GK.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What he is being told to do. It's annoying. It's nearly as annoying as last season's dedication to long goal kicks to the sideline near midfield where a taller defender would ideally win the ball and play it back to a midfielder to start something. I'm not sure that ever worked since the defenders were so clumsy and soft. Some have criticized Romo's ability to use his feet. He's decent so they're making him do it. He's the best to do it since Rimando. I don't want him to use his feet. They're making him. It's an incredibly low bar to be better than what we have had and very unnecessary. I see absolutely no reason for the team to use him as they are by essentially making him a member of the backline. The other defenders are garbage and there is never any movement for a player to be an easy outlet in the middle of opposing players so United can actually build out of the back. They may have had 569 passes, but as others said, 500 were between defenders deep in their own third. Another problem with basically having Romo as part of the backline is when the traditional backline gets beat by long balls, he is horribly out of position. Likewise, making his starting position so far from the goal was even tempting Orlando to take a shot for goal on a free kick on their own side of the field. None of this is excusing his play. He made a few good stops. The Orlando goal was really bad. He gets drawn out of the box way too easily, but some of that is on the other defenders. I wish we would allow to simply be a traditional goalkeeper who stays in the box. He could become a decent backup although not worth the international spot. Kempin is not it. Ochoa is young and immature.

I'm not sure if I missed this in other threads, but

song219, GumbyG, bigredfutbol and 6 others repped this.
  23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was obvious that Rooney tasked Morrison with the job of orchestrating the attack. He was directing his teammates all night - and it worked.

benni..., Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nothing worked for like 75+ minutes lol

25. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    So, first time at Audi Field. My brother texted me at 12:30, and said, “Hey, do you want to go?”

Sure, why not? Goal end seats on the west side, 32nd row. That’s a bit of a climb, especially after a beer or two. But the sightlines are incredible. All three goals, right in our lap.

We got caught in the deluge after the game, and let me tell you, I’ve gotten out of showers less soaked. God bless DC summer squalls! And keep them far from me.

The first half was disastrous. 5-0 would have flattered Orlando, but 3-0 definitely wouldn’t. Their finishing was … wait for it … epically bad. The goal was lovely, and probably unsavable, but both Pato and Michel missed absolute sitters. Meanwhile we offered nothing in attack — our favorite tactic seeming to be dribble the ball into trouble and turn it over.

By contrast, the second half was MUCH better. The introduction of Rodriguez seemed to open up the left side, despite the lack of quality in his service. I hope it’s just a form issue. Morrison impressed me more in the center of the park than on the right. Djeffal needs to sit and watch someone play the game.

As we got deeper into the half, I kept saying this is better, but they need to reward themselves for that increased effort and quality. There was something to build on by turning around the play in a 1-0 loss. There’s more to build on by pulling out a point at home. And there’s a great deal to build on after stealing three points.

We can’t keep gifting teams the first half. But for the first time in a long time, I actually enjoyed watching DC United play. Both goals came from exquisite combination play. I’m taking the three points and I’m hoping for better.

I’m also taking a week to dry out. MLS Cup ‘97 was this wet, but it’s been a long time since I’ve attended a game in the rain like this.

superdave, sitruc, John L and 10 others repped this.