PBP: DCU vs Snowflake FC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Clubfoot's goal was completely lucky - an intended cross that was serendipitously mi-hit and ended up going in - no one, not even Brault-Gillard, thought that was going in. Kempin might have reacted a bit quicker and backpedaled faster but that was otherwise a golazo.

very disconcerting about how long we got flustered after they scored; agree with previous post about how it seemed to be shades of our teams over the past 8 years, just wilt after getting behind. Quite pleasant to see them regroup and get focused.

When Paredes scored I told my older son, see, you could be out there doing that. "But I am just 14." You can do it, Freddy Adu was out there at 14. "Who is Freddy Adu?"

bigredfutbol, sitruc, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paredes scored? I must have missed that. I guess we won 3-1, not 2-1.

onefineesq repped this.
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Najar makes the team of the week.

Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  4. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    See, thats why you need horse-killing liquor kegs of death, so you can get the scoreline wrong, too. :) seriously, channel your inner president (pick one), dont let facts get in the way of a good story....

You are right, it wasnt a score but rather he had a really good look at goal in the 1st half while we were watching from up in the heiney bar.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Seitz has been talking a lot on social media lately talking about mental health issues and self care things. So, I wonder if he's struggling. That said, the goal Kempin made 2 bad gaffs last night. The goal was inexcusable and the 2nd was a cross he came for and didn't get anywhere near the ball in the 2nd half. I yelled something about getting off his line and Bill Hamid was sitting down below us in the owner's box turned around and nodded. He had 2-3 mistakes last week that were really fundamental in nature. He was way too close to his near post on a shot that was wide in the first half and there 2 other smaller things in the 2nd half. And then there's his distro, he's making Hamid look like Steffen.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Kempin be making Hamid look _worse_?

7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Just a few comments from me. I had to watch the game on recorded TV so I'm late to the party. Losada's counter press is really taking shape. I love how our guys anticipate the passing lanes and don't play the man. As much as I don't like it, Losada wants to create chances from transition and not a patient build up. It's obviously begun to work as the team had plenty of chances to win this one by more.

My biggest point is that fullback/wingback in MLS is proving to be the most important position after striker. Just about any other position in MLS the quality is about the same. Fullback/wingback gets waaaay more touches on the ball than any other position because in MLS everybody uses high pressure. If you can have fullbacks like Najar who can hold the ball, dribble, and create space for themselves it makes everyone else better. If I'm Kasper that's where I spend the money next. Left back/wingback.

For the first time in memory, I saw DC United switch the ball successfully with long diagonal passes. It made me smile.

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally unrelated to anything: the Montreal jersey/shorts combo was the most uninspiring uniform I've seen this year.

BlackandRedForever, sitruc and John L repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Looked like something from a middle school PE class.

10. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Their shirts looked dingy. In the North (Chico) End, we kept shouting at them to do their landry.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I used to love when Tino and Goose would make those pass back in the day.

dadman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't forgotten how bad Seitz was early this season, but this was two games in a row where I thought Kempin was really poor. Since Hamid is out for several more weeks, would not at all be surprised to see Seitz get another chance at some point.

sitruc, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    With the ball at his feet.

14. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I looked at Kempin's Wiki page and in some ways it is a cautionary tale for any "prodigy" to think twice about turning pro at an early age. The guy was signed by SKC at 16 and then shuttled here and there on loans or sat 3rd chair in MLS. He's 28 now and played about 4 years (maybe) out of the 12 he's been a pro. IDK if he could have developed into a solid #1 keeper, but the toing and froing he suffered at the earliest stages of his development sure didn't help.

PSURoss, Doogh, bigredfutbol and 4 others repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What has me scratching my head is how did DC United FO find Losada. Looking outside the box or actually finding talent isn't normally in their wheelhouse.

16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing it started with 1) Guys that don't have a job, generally don't have a job for good reasons. 2) So we need to poach somebody who has their team moving in a positive direction, not in a top 5 league and not playing in continental competitions, because those coaches are already where they want to be. Low percentage chance for a lot of effort. 3) And we get a lot of players from South/Central America, because value, so having SA roots would be ideal, linguistically and culturally.

That'll narrow down your choices real quick. :D

dadman, Hedbal and Yowza repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...add in Brilliant played with him and knows him - so likely he was involved int he process.

dadman, bigredfutbol and GumbyG repped this.
  18. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    15 years ago there really weren't developmental leagues like USL2. It's unfortunate how he's shuttled around and I am not sure he's sticking here unless he's a major bargain. Neither Kempin nor Seitz is pushing Hamid in any way, shape, or form. In the last 2 games, Kempin has played, I've seen major flaws in his fundamentals. There have to be tons of college keepers who don't make those mistakes.
    Not to mention, we sold Durkin into that league a couple of years ago and then there's Andy Najar who might have been talking to before Losada came onto our radar
    Speaking of Brilliant, how about that ball he was sheparding out of bounds late in the 2nd half when he busted out a Cryuff turn and made the MTL forward pressing him look like a school boy.

sitruc, dadman, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  19. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The more I see of Fred Brillant, the more I see a playing assistant coach. He is one of my favorite players on this roster.

sitruc, PSURoss, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And remember only two years ago many here wanted him gone - - too slow, etc.. Yes, I can see him - and Birnbaum - sliding into coaching spots in the fairly near future.

PSURoss and marks7mb repped this.
  21. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    100%. I've heard there's a south American talent agency that shops both players and coaches, and they were behind the move. This comes from a retired MLS player in private communications. He went on to say the agency has somewhat suspect tactics (like not allowing a player acquisition without a commitment on a second player or coach). I found it to be a rather odd comment and he wouldn't engage further when pushed.

sitruc and GlennAA11 repped this.
  22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And don't forget two years ago many on these boards wanted him gone - too slow; etc.. Yes, I can see him sliding into coaching in the near future, and Birnbaum as well. Much like catchers in baseball, defenders see the whole field and can propose a full team attack and defense from what they experience every match.

23. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    He is too slow. If we have the luxury of having a full time stay-at-home defender he's fantastic.

24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    According to Andy it was the other way around. After Losada was brought on assistant Nico Frutos (who coached Andy at Anderlecht) told Andy that he might be coming to DC with Losada and that he wanted Andy to join them

sitruc, dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    One of these things is not like the other

sitruc, bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.