Pre-match: DCU vs. NYCFC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Oct 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see Rivas start instead of Kamara (I voiced this loudly when the line-up was announced, again at halftime, and even louder at the 60th minute) - then I'd like to see Sorga as well.
    One forward is almost always dumb. But especially in the middle of a long losing streak. I personally think Rivas would be better at the -1 (if you have to do just one) because he seems to be quicker and have more strength to fight off defenders. Seems to work better with the midfield as well (but, small sample size).

I think if we were sending thru balls into the box a lot (like say, NYC was), he'd be getting goals; he gets into neat positions inside the 18/6 - but we don't give that type of ball much so he just gets the occasional rebound.

I think Kid-N-Paredes* is just playing like a 17yo with only a few starts (inconsistent and learning on the job), don;t see him as "regressing" per se.

* Thank You to whoever came up with that, it's all I can call him now :)

2. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also did not play the kind of game Paredes excels at.

3. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome!

fatbastard and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Pines makes mistakes, but he has the ability to be a lock starter with good coaching. Agree that he was ball watching, but so were all the other defenders at different times last night. Gressel very occasionally flashes "something" that make you think there is more there. Maybe, but as you note, BennyBall makes him look like a bust. I hope Fisher gets his speed and explosiveness back, I like the guy's effort, there just isn't anything above journeyman there right now. We disagree about Sorga, I think he's got a good soccer IQ, but he's not built for BennyBall. All of this raises the point about who constructs this roster? A non-BennyBall team really was based all in on Flores both quickly adapting to a new league and adapting to play the "10" something he never had done regularly in the past. He was ineffective and now injured and once again the Band of Misfit Toys is forced to soldier on.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So last night wouldn't the first time that Sorga failed to put a ball in the net or on goal in a meaningful way. I think he's got cute ball skills, but that hasn't translated to him bringing any shadow of his Estonian production to DCU. He had a game and half at the beginning of the season right in front of us where he failed to get a shot off on a free and clear break as well as flubbing a couple of other opportunities. I think he's a USL player and I think that if he were out there shining like a star in practice after practice, he'd unseat Kamara who has done nothing to justify a starting role on one of the worst teams in MLS. 2 PKs and breakaway that was almost saved is what's keeping him out of the starting line up? No, not buying him as guy who is ready for MLS.

Paredes, while a good up and coming player, is soooooooo not suited to play on that clown car field. He makes a lot of hay in catching up to balls or closing someone down in open space on a real soccer field, which doesn't exist at Yankee Stadium.

Winoman, fatbastard and GumbyG repped this.
  6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorga is a poacher and a better guy to play with Rivas than Kamara.

Dizi, bigredfutbol, Hedbal and 2 others repped this.
  7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect 2020, I would be sitting in Leesburg watching Paredes, Neyman, and Sorga playing every game, thinking of how they'd fit into DCU in '21 or '22.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Just because Reyna isn’t listed here doesn’t mean he’s not on the game day roster. Case in point:

Thx,

Jay!

GumbyG repped this.
  9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canouse was on their Twitter graphic the last game, but was left off the official team list. He was taken off the field as ineligible after a few minutes, and DC was forced to use a sub.

I don't think that Reyna traveled with the team.

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think Sorga is a spot starter and sub in MLS. He's better than the dreck that occasionally rises from USL. Dom Dwyer excepted, who else from there has made an impact at forward. DCU had the leading USL scorer on the bench a few seasons ago and I don't think the guy got a minute. Sorga never was going to come close to his Estonian production, hell UEFA doesn't count the Estonian league for Golden Boot purposes. I think he's good for 3-5 goals and a couple of assists in part time service for a better squad that is better coached. He's not the answer at forward, but neither is Kamara.

11. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eastern Bear and GumbyG repped this.
  12. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. October 8, 2020 it is.

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some weird phrasing by Goff. If he's remaining with the organization, then they haven't parted ways.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He later clarified that he is parting ways as a coach in the replies.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I understood what he meant. It just seemed to me like careless phrasing.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Piss poor refs always matter, they ruin the game I love.

17. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    So, do we just continue with this one as with COVID or start a new thread?

18. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Also, both kids have games at 7pm and 7:30, respectively, and I couldn't get a carpool arrangement, so I have 2 midfield tickets I cant use. PM me if interested.

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    always a new thread. We have standards...right? I was going to unstick the pre-season thread and make room for the game thread 2 days before the match - so tomorrow.

If anyone wants to own creation of game-day threads please feel free. It would be nice to have those crowdsourced. Need to have the cute animal though.

James

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  20. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    tickets gone, thank you!