Pre-match: DCU vs NE Revs

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Nov 1, 2020.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow can still make the playoffs but they need a lot of results to go their way this coming week.

2. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making it in the playoffs seems like a long shot at this point but what a run of games! So nice to have something to root for in what feels like forever. Hope we can get a promising coach and make some good moves in the off season. We still have a lot of talent to work with.

JRHokie, tallguy, Yowza and 2 others repped this.
  3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    As I said after the last game, Kamara need not play again for DCU.

I know Fores had an assist on Rivas’ goal, but did he touch the ball again tonight?

Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Man of the match?

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    They didn't quit like they would have under Olsen. But the absolute shit roster building of this team in the last offseason came home to roost tonight. The only "defender" on the bench was Sjoberg and Paredes is not a left back and showed it tonight as he was constantly turned. Canouse also isn't a CB, but for neither was it their fault. There was literally no one else left to play. This team entered the season with O-A, Fisher and Mora as the only natural outside defenders. Olsen figured he could plug Canouse in there, which was a mistake strategically, tactically and a poor personnel decision because Canouse didn't want to be there and really isn't suited for the position. So, O-A and Mora go down, the two starting CB's go down and you have a mess. Not the fault of the guys out there, DCU had to put 11 on the pitch, but they were played out of position due to the incompetence of DK and Olsen in assembling the squad in the spring

One other note -- Kamara is a bust. No speed, one scuffed shot and offside almost as much as Pajoy. Rivas got a goal and Sorga has a shot on goal that Turner had to parry out for a corner. Did Reyna even have a shot on goal? This team needs so many things for next year, but they also don't need Kamara or Reyna at the salaries they command.

song219, Yowza, PSURoss and 2 others repped this.
  6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or Flores.

Yowza and griffin1108 repped this.
  7. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid? He was great and they still gave up four. Just too many guys missing. Paredes and Yow don't know their angles yet, and Bunbury is stronger than both of them put together.
    That's all right, enjoy it now Revs, our time is coming.

8. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't feel like passing the blame to anybody, it was a good match played well and bravely, but NE is a stronger team in this moment, and we had a lot of absences. Kudos to the guys on the field and honestly at this point also to Ashton, because the team plays well, with fire and dignity, all things that under Olsen were completely gone. Tonight it did not go well, at this point the playoff spot is very difficult and honestly we may not even deserve it, seen how much we sucked all season long, but it's more important to have found again that energy and strong will which we had lost for such a long time.

Dizi, bigredfutbol, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  9. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Paredes isn't an outside defender, and Canouse is not a great center back. We gave them an own goal, a PK off the post bounced directly to a Revs player, and Bunbury's goal -- after an amazing Hamid save -- was a lot harder than it looks, as far as I'm concerned. These are the types of losses that you have to shrug off -- it's just bad luck that it came at a time of year and in a situation where "shrugging off" a loss isn't an option.

Still, let's go kick MTL's ass next weekend and end on a high note.

bigredfutbol, Winoman, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have been 3-3 the Canouse foul was not a PK. Oh, he fouled him but the foul started outside of the box. This is not the NBA with it's continuation. The foul was outside the box. Free kick not a PK. Terrible call.

Real Mobile, Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  11. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    A little surprised there was no VAR there. There was some battling for the ball but at some point Buska had a fist full of jersey. If you’re going to allow that might as well just Mo Salah walk into the box, fall down and have a PK. If the defender can’t defend and the attacker can do that, the game is broken.

bigredfutbol, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate result but the team has really won me back the past few games. This is--for the first time in a while--a fun team to watch, and a team that you like cheering for. They fight for it...and they play some decent soccer while doing so.

dadman, JRHokie, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Win or lose the tam was never the issue for me, the FO.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I never disliked the players. Always pulling for them. But it had been a while since I invested much emotion into watching.

I'd always thought Asad still had something left in him, glad to see how he's played the past few games.

dadman, GumbyG, shawn12011 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had quite a ride these last several weeks and it may not be over. It's worth remembering that while dropping Benny and his conservative tactics seemed to enliven the team we also have had to contend with what seems an unnaturally large injury list (along with some unforced errors, like Brillant's unbidden return to the pitch) which has made our game-day lineups appear a bit improvised. This was certainly the case last night, and it makes our three goals all the more wondrous and our four conceded all the more understandable.

16. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Flores? His cross to Asad for the first goal it was a beauty. Not real mobile but those were good crosses.

17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brillant himself says it wasn't an unbidden return to the pitch.

Winoman, sitruc and John L repped this.
  18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Brillant may have transgressed a rule I wasn't even aware of. However, Petrescu is an ass and is one of my least favorite refs because of his inconsistency and "it's about me" attitude on the pitch. We've certainly come a ways from the donkeys in the late '90's and mid 2000's, but the inconsistency of the referees remains a problem.

19. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Dude was firing off yellow cards like nobody's business that night. If you look at it, it had to have been a verbal queue. If you watch the video closely, Petrescu is holding his hand up, Brilliant comes on and then Petrescu starts waving like he's waving him on.