PBP: DCU vs. HotLanta United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because of our high press. Our guys are chasing when a team plays well out of the pressure.
    The end of the game was sad, but I found it an exciting game to watch. I'm not saying I'm ok with the result, but there was a lot of open space and a lot of attacking on both ends of the field. Guzan made some nice saves. We do need to do better on set pieces though.

DCU, bigredfutbol, roadkit and 1 other person repped this.
  2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compared to how this team has played so far this season, I enjoyed watching this game a lot more.

That said, this team couldn't score with a fistful of Benjamins in a Panama City hump-hump house.

PSURoss, shawn12011, anotherfan and 3 others repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 on all the above.

Winoman repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    3A0A9CE6-9BE5-4008-864D-5792D0477D83.png

Thx,

Jay!

5. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to let this result sink in for a bit...

First for me back at the stadium (couldn't make the opener), but quite a bunch of head scratching moments.

Soon as they announced Durkin in the lineup, I was like what time machine sorcery is this??! He's back?? Da f?

He looked good if a little green, and had I think one good chance on net from what I remember.

There's some good and bad, kind of a balance in all players with a few exceptions, and it was still a goofy last goal. I was there, seen countless replays, and I still can't figure out if it went off Canouse or if he just got out of the way, and left Hamid flat footed as it got past him. My first reaction, and still instinct is it went off Canouse.

Seemed like also both teams were easily dumbfounded once they got near the 18 yard box. BOTH of them. Still I will echo as someone said, a watchable match.

Hey we got Arepas now!! tasty (gotta say something I was real happy about), but still seeing some glaring holes up front and outstanding issues (Flores).

Looking to see how the new guy might do... but we been down this road..

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so two idiots said that. No one who knows soccer said it though
    And he was the best player on the field in that game... which doesn't make him an upgrade over Paredes.
    He was not great last night though, although I didn't think he was atrocious.

GumbyG repped this.
  7. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    First trip of the year to Audi Field. We looked the better team for the first 15 minutes. But after that, I never saw full team pressure/high press. Our play in the final third is USL level - at best. Just atrocious. One thing about Smith - he's a more physical back than Paredes. Paredes is far more creative and dangerous, and this is a team that is yearning for creativity. FWIW I believe 3 games Saturday were determined by own goals, and ours was the least embarrassing.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'M STANDING RIGHT HERE! :D

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Isn't there some internet rule that says everyone has a right to be forgotten? :p:D

dadman, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is an upgrade over Mora.

Parades had a few good runs and was a fast outlet in the final third. Smith is a better defender than Parades but he isn't the cog in the attack that parades was.

Parades could've been really top notch this season but he is gone and was going to be gone no matter what. So lamenting that he isn't here is fine but it wasn't DCUs call. Keeping him would've done him no good.

Based on that you don't have Parades (weren't going to keep him) and you don't have Mora. So - you have Smith. He is an MLS veteran coming from a good program at a great club.

He's an upgrade over Mora.

But I don't know soccer. Who knew.

Mountainia, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...we're all internet nuts on this bus. :)

Alejandro 10, DCU, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm confused that Smith is getting shit on and Djeffal is getting praised. Some people seem to be watching different games.

13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Djeffal is a rookie and that tend to make people look closely for signs that he will become something special. This was not his best match but I think he is a better option than Nyeman. Having Durkin back complicated where he would naturally play. Smith is solid and while not a superstar is pretty much hit his ceiling.

Winoman repped this.
  14. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The reason Smith looks like bad or lost sometimes, for real, for really real, is because he dribbles up to no one and that's not always his fault. No one is making runs. No one is competent to receive a pass in the middle. At Seattle he looked better because he didn't have Loopy Louis and Estupio Rodriguez as his outlets.

Mountainia repped this.