Pre-match: DCU vs FTRB (US Open Cup)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, May 10, 2022.

1. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    If you are on Facebook, you might have seen the commendably solid posting by the DCU FO yesterday/today: a collection of video clips showing the rough-and-tumble history with the Laughing Cows: 'Goos going studs up, Jaime getting in people's faces, Ben's hat-trick goals, Esky's infamous drink-gag-spit, etc., etc.

And then tonight, the coaching staff fields the "D" squad . . . :(
    What and where is the disconnect?

dadman, sitruc, ImNumberTen and 2 others repped this.
  2. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That first goal - 97 was just ball watching until after the pass was made. Then he tried as hard as he could to reach over to take the ball (and failed) but if he would have just taken a few easy steps instead of doing what we pay to do, no goal.

There is just too much of that thing where guys don't know what to do when they don't have the ball. Painful to watch.

sitruc and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They stayed in their lane, but I don't think they had fun...

sitruc, GlennAA11, United1 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If our A-team is as bad as I expect them to be this year, we're going to regret conceding our best shot at a trophy.

Not sure what Durkin did to play himself out of the starting line-up, but he was terrible tonight.

sitruc, Yowza, SiberianThunderT and 2 others repped this.
  5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So 11 JR High School kids in DC United uniforms could not pull this one out............................really. :rolleyes:

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    sitruc, Winoman and Yowza repped this.
  7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    onefineesq, sitruc, morange92 and 2 others repped this.
  8. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really not instilling a sense of confidence, loyalty, or any of the things that make me want to support a sports team.

GlennAA11, Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  9. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm kicking myself for missing this one.

10. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I've been going to DC United games for 25 years. Had a full season ticket package every year since 1999. I miss maybe 3 or 4 home games a year. I've seen it all. MLS regular season. MLS playoffs. US Open Cup. CONCACAF games. Sundamericana games. Superliga. Friendlies. Hell, I even bought a subscription to FLOsports.

That performance last night was, by far, the most embarrassing display of "soccer" from any collection of players to ever where our shirt.

Absolutely atrocious. Forget about the absurd lack of skill. No heart. Zero. The only two players on the field who looked like they kind of, sort of cared were Yow and Ku-di and that is being generous to them.

The front office says Chad Ashton loves this club. Says he bleeds black and red. I say bullsh*t. No one who loves this club would ever countenance that display last night. Don't give me your excuses. Issue a full-blown apology.

anotherfan, dadman, fatbastard and 7 others repped this.
  11. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This is quite the statement given our recent past.

onefineesq and Winoman repped this.
  12. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes sir!
    All I'll say is they better play like mad men on Saturday. Saving all those guys for the league better mean something, because the Open Cup means something to me and a lot of other fans.

dadman, sitruc, ImNumberTen and 3 others repped this.
  13. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone else, I'm not surprised they played like they just met, b/c that was the case. But where's the quality? None of these guys showed they should be pushing for minutes.
    Yow is a big disappointment to me. He can't get it done in the opponent's half at all. I like his effort, and his little bag of tricks, but he doesn't scare one single defender in this league. Ku-Di has passed him by in my eyes.

Durkin had an atrocious first half, better in his little time in the second. I worry about him, and Hopkins as well, because they are just too slow. Always stretching and contorting themselves to play the ball when under pressure, b/c slow feet don't give them the extra second they need in this league. We can all see it with Skundrich as well.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Djeffal is just better than Durkin. Djeffal has the highest passing completion percentage from the midfield players and, like Durkin, he tries ambitious passes frequently. The difference being Durkin is not great at it (68%) and Djeffal is much better (82%).
    Defensively, they are pretty equal statistically, but Djeffal even edges him out here.

In my opinion, if you play Canouse and Durkin together, you can't possess the ball. There has to be someone there who can turn out of trouble and transition from defense to offense. Shockingly to me anyway, Durkin is dreadful at this. When he's facing his own goal, it's almost guaranteed to be a turnover and a dangerous one at that.

sitruc and QuietSide repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Yow was our best player last night, perhaps along with Alfaro. But I guess that isn't saying much.

sitruc, Yowza and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Ashton's comments don't even make sense on his own terms. In the Goff article he claims they're prioritizing MLS over US Open Cup, and that he couldn't play the same guys he did on Saturday, because it would endanger them. OK, I don't necessarily 100% agree with this logic, but it's approaching a coherent point --

-- that's completely undermined by his actual actions. Pines, who started against Houston, turned around and played a half against NYRB. Ku-DiPietro and Sargis, who didn't play Saturday, didn't get to play until the second half.

Ashton's lineup didn't maximize the opportunity in other ways. Like, look, if you're going to prioritize the MLS season, then one excellent way of benefitting that campaign is to develop depth there. It's hard to believe the Loudoun scrubs are ever going to contribute to the first team, but Sargis and Ku-DiPietro certainly might. Other second-stringers for the first team certainly might.

The only way this lineup made sense is if DC were purposefully trying to lose.

17. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    To: DC United Front Office

Ladies and Germs,

Please be advised that the US Open Cup is the lowest-hanging piece of fruit there is to be plucked.

Case in point: 2013.

Sincerely,
    Adler

anotherfan, dadman, GlennAA11 and 4 others repped this.
  18. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Yeah, but Rushton & Kasper put their butts on the line by saying this is a playoff-caliber roster. So, put two and two together, the idea is probably to see if Taxi can ride a hot finishing streak to hauling this team above the playoff line. Or you sign Bale and hope that works out.

Because otherwise obviously Ashton's tactical and strategic acumen is not exactly highly impressive.

bigredfutbol and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  19. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Alfaro struggled and was off the pace but agree about Yow. But as you said, that isn't saying much.

QuietSide repped this.
  20. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think games like last night are good for spotting the chaff. For example, Kimarni Smith is 24 and takes up an international spot if he's with DC. It's clear to me he isn't an MLS level player, so leave him in Loudoun or move on. Sami Guediri has a nice left foot with no defensive chops at all. At best, he'll be 4th choice for any decent team in MLS. Azaad Liadi has no discernible physical advantage, while also looking like he's completely lost.

Yow and KuDi have some quicks, Yow more than I initially gave him credit for. Both are head down players to some extent, they can clean that up with games. So they are separate from the above players in that there is something to work with.

I'm anxious for Garay to get healthy and take over for Skundrich when it comes to center mid sub options. Skundrich is not a bad player, he's just can't do it at the MLS level, he's proving it every time he steps on the field.

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think bringing in Dunkin’ means Canouse is moving on after this season. IDK his contract status, but he will be traded/sold/allowed to leave on a free. Dunkin’ will be his replacement.

22. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be, hadn't thought of that. Canouse is the better player, but getting pricey I suppose.

Edit: Meant as reply to Griffin

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I at least have to give him credit for not ducking it. He could've spun some BS but he just told the truth.

I realize this doesn't square with his previous statements, but I take his comments about prioritizing this game as just tactics -- can you imagine if he had come out this week and said "My plan is to call up a bunch of scrubs and let them kick the ball around for a day and then earn a paycheck playing in a "real" game."

I was at the Nats game last night and saw a bunch of DCU fans on Metro after the game -- I hadn't checked the score but didn't need to. Lots of long faces.

24. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is not much to praise about this organization these days but an exception is the social media team. They are doing a great job during trying times. Great video montages, clever posts, cool behind-the-scenes pics and vids, etc.

It's got to be a bit of a drag to put in all that effort and have a significant portion of the comments simply be "Fire Kasper!", "#LevienOut", "This team blows!", etc.

Credit where it's due. :thumbsup:

dadman, bigredfutbol, Yowza and 2 others repped this.
  25. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I get the opposite sense. Durkin was on the bench for Houston and was put in with the C team last night, so he doesn't seem on track to start against Ft. Lauderdale. When he came back, I was initially impressed by how much muscle he seems to have added, but he's looked slow, and not as positionally aware as Canouse. The FO made the move for him just before Djeffal emerged as a starter.

It's way, way too early to write Durkin off, but his ties to DC and Belgium probably caused FO and Losada to bring him back when other teams likely wouldn't have even looked at a player from a lower-level team in the Belgian League (15th last year). No offense to my friends in Sint-Truiden, and yeah, here I am talking smack after the game DC played last night..

dadman, bigredfutbol and Yowza repped this.