PBP: DCU v team formerly known as the Columbus Crew

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Apr 14, 2022.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I am not even sure I want to talk about this. Even our 6 year old was dead silent in the car going home. There are only 2-3 other teams I despise more. Capitulating like we did is unacceptable. We were better with 10 men, but I think at some point you need to lock it down with a 2 goal lead. We didn't get those subs.

Not sure how I want to process this meltdown. While he scored almost 20 last year, I still believe a good goal scorer puts up 30 with the chances Kamara has had. I am not going to take away his PK or discount his goals for that. Everyone plays a part in putting the other team under pressure and forcing them to make mistakes. He was wasteful in '20, fortunate to have the number of opportunities he had in '21, and he's been wasteful so far this season. I feel like he leaves a goal on the table in more than 50% of his games. When I say leaves a goal on the table, I am talking about getting robbed by an amazing save or defensive lunge, I am talking about a boneheaded bonk on the kind of chance that HAS to go in. I think this is why we couldn't get anyone to give us fair value for his output and age. Maybe I am wrong, but I am not sure most teams create as many chances DCU does.

Andy coming off made me want to vomit. I hope it's relatively minor.

Kamara taking his shirt off after the goal is a selfish move. I empathize with the sentiment, but he needed to find another way to honor his grandmother. He put himself on thin ice which broke in under a half. Even if he doesn't get sent off, that's one more card toward an accumulation suspension. While I am sure he apologized to the team in the locker room, I feel like he owes the SGs and fans one too. I'd say bench him, cut him, but there is nothing behind him. The cupboard is bare.

There are a few things to be optimistic about with how Hopkins looked, how Sofiane Djeffal has looked. I think that our play on the wings has been decent. A good striker should want to play for this team with the chances we create.

That Drew Skudrich continues to get regular minutes is damming. That we have a healthy DP who can't get off the bench is damming. That we have no backup goalkeeper is damming. This club continues to be run like a mickey mouse organization.

sitruc, ImNumberTen, TowsonDad and 2 others repped this.
  2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of what PSURoss said, except that I don't find Skundrich all that bad. I've watched him pretty closely all season, and have seen some very good passes, decent defending, and even shots on goal from him. He shouldn't start, but isn't a bad a replacement as some seemto think.

bigredfutbol, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    didn't we just sign a backup GK? Or is that still in the works?

4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's game report says we did, and he's just waiting on a work visa. Rafael Romo, yet another player Losada is familiar with out of Belgium.

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC he is from Venezuela. I don't remember how many International players we are allowed at the moment, but it appears to me that we're pushing the limit.

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, he is Venezuelan, but Losada knows him from their time together in Belgium.

I was going to say that someone like Samake would not be long for the senior roster if they needed an international spot for him, but MLS's roster page doesn't list him as an international (DC United's does). So who knows.

Someone used to keep the Wikipedia page for MLS International players well updated, but that hasn't been the case for a couple years now.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    interesting.... MLS press release on his signing states he is on a P-1 visa - which matches whats on DCU webapage.

DCU.bom lists us with 9 internationals.

But MLS' roster rules are just as Calvinball-ish as its funny-money Gaber bucks rules.

Essentially, there is no minimum or maximum limit on internationals per team (except that there are). There are a total of 224 International slots for the entire league (except that there are more) and teams may trade as they wish so while there are ostensibly 8 per team each team may have more or less than 8.

In addition, there are all sorts of reasons why a player might not count as an international and toward the 224 (homegrown, on loan, was contracted before, etc.) and teams in the 51st state are allowed not only 3 additional international players that are not international players but as many US domestic players as they wish which are international players but that are also not counted as international players and they may also have an unlimited number of international players except that they do have a maximum number of international players, or rather, they must have a minimum number of domestic players which really means there is a maximum number of international players.

Um, I am now going to get a drink. A big drink......

Winoman, GumbyG, Hedbal and 2 others repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kimarni Smith is officially on loan to Loudoun, so he doesn't count as an international.

The current internationals are Kamara, Flores, Fountas, Robertha, Brad Smith, Estrada, Samake, and Djeffal. I imagine someone has to be loaned out, or another slot acquired, when Romo signs. And another move will be needed if the mysterious third DP is found this summer.

GumbyG repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players I want to see given lots of playing time (in no particular order): Durkin; Djeffal; Hopkins; Yow. And I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Alfaro either. I'm also assuming Taxi is a lock. And, venturing into dangerous terrritory, perhaps this new keeper can give Bill-Bill-Hamid a rest now and then. He makes great saves (most of the time) but his distribution is only OK Perhaps this is why he hasn't been in the USMNT camp for some time.

bigredfutbol repped this.