DCU Trio (And a Kicker) Called into Camp

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by cherno, Jan 24, 2005.

1. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=144804

Ben, Esky and Nick get called into the 28-man domestic roster training for the T&T qualifier. Euro's will join them in Florida Feb. 6th or 7th and I guess the roster will be pared down then.

It'd be interesting to see how the regulars are treating the Kicker (a "scab" holdover). That's probably a whole other thread though.

What do you suppose the chances are of our boys to travel to T&T for the qualifier?

Cherno

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Alecko -- he earned his place last season. I hope he sticks when it gets to the final 18.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Looking at the Forwards on that list I'd say Alecko has a good shot at making the trip.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it all depends on what shape they're in, but good luck to them all.

Frankly, I think Nikky is great and all, but I'd really like someone more stable in the nets for the USA.

When it said "Kicker" I thought maybe they invited that guy from the JETS :D
    (wouldn't be the first time a Jets reject kicker was in a US camp)

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Probably not completely on topic, but good for the guy from Richmond to play well enough originally to stay invited. Talk about a dream come true.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he may just owe Kenny Arena money on a bet, so Bruce is helping him make some :)

Seriously, I meant to say earlier that I was very glad Ben was invited to this camp. Bruce knows he'll go all out for him in the middle, I just hope Bruce thinks he has enough still at this level. Esky will get more chances for sure, but this might be Ben's last on this stage (this set of quallies I mean, not just T&T)

7. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Eskandarian is the dark horse here. We may see him running onto the field, 2nd half vs. t&t.

8. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Without looking at the list yet, but assuming the regulars from both MLS and abroad. I say Eski is the only one that has a chance.

As much as I love watching Nicky play and as good as I think he is, I don't see him as a serious consideration for anything but a friendly right now. I think it's a "You've done good at the club level, so come to camp and see what I expect of you to come play a game for me" type call up.

As for Ben, we all love him and believe he is the heart and soul of DCU, but I think this is more of loyalty thing between him and Bruce. I don't see him as filling any holes like he used to before his ankles went out. It's a shame since he was becoming such a bright star on both the club and country level, but I think those years off really hurt him. I think he'll play more friendlies than Nicky, but I don't see him in a WCQ or the WC unless something big happens.

That said, if either of them are going to make it to a WCQ team, I think T&T is the best bet (though I would go with the home leg over the away).

-dave

9. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    That's great news, the bad news is....The match is now scheduled for 2:30, so......Won't be able to see the boys play unless I ditch work. And I have been doing an awful lot of that lately.
    But anyhow, good for Esky and Ben, Rimando probably won't see anytime but it's nice to have him called.

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Esky has almost no chance to make the final roster. McBride, Johnson, and Wolff are all ahead of him, and if there's a fourth forward it will probably be Ching or Casey. And, you have Donovan and Mathis who can play up top. I would give Olsen a better chance than Esky.

11. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Perhaps...
    28 in camp, only 18 plus some alternates go...and this doesn't include Euro-based guys. So only about 6-10 of these guys will be going ultimately.

I sort of agree scary, except that Esky out-performed ALL those forwards last fall, except maybe EJ. Plus the game at T&T, looks like a good opportunity for a confident, selfish, scoring type like Esky.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Esky has a good chance of making it. Anything can happen in camp.

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    This is key - the camp doesn't include the Euro-based guys.

I think this is a good way for BA to assess which guys are good shape and to supplement the EU guys where needed.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah, I think the Benny call-up means that Arena really liked his progress as a central midfielder as last season wound down.

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Ben has inherited Ritchie Williams' old role. The tough as nails midfielder that the team has to go up against in practice.

And really, just how deep is the USNT in DM's? Zavignan. has played well recently there; Pablo floats between here and defense; Armas is still servicable, but has seen better days; sadly, O'Brien always seems hurt, and Reyna is following his lead. Until some of the young 20 somethings, and teenages mature, Ben ,might be a decent solution.

16. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    What does Namoff have to do to earn a call up? Does Bruce hate him or something?

I mean seriously, Chris Albright and Ritchie Kotshau? Is this some kind of cruel joke?

17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think fitness will play a big part in who makes the roster for the actual game. If Ben isn't done getting nasty, he might not be in shape to play a qualifier.

18. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The labor issue really hurt Namoff above all. That winter camps was his chance to shine, now Bruce has to go with those he knows (Esky has one cap and Rimando has been in camps). If Namoff keeps his level of play up, there is no way he isn't called in.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Esky had arguably the best MLS season of all of these forwards, but for my money I'm putting Eddie Johnson into the game based on his absolutely ridiculous scoring rate for the USMNT.

20. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought that Namoff should have started when Hudson was in town, and think that he could still play a bigger role with DC United (more offense,) but he's what? 25? Turning 26 this year? He may end up being a very good MLSer that doesn't get much chance in the International stage.

I think he needs a shot at D-mid, but he won't get it in DC because we need outside backs. It's not Namoff's best role, but he does it well. But it also hurts his chance for a callup.

21. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    So if you had to pick 3 United players to call into camp, who would it be?

I hate to say this, but. Benny is the heart and soul of our team right now. He has to be Captain next season. (that wasn't the part I hate to say). (This is) I would bring in Esky, Namoff and Gros. Esky will eventually be a either pretty good Nat, or Taylor Twellman. Namoff has earned it, nuff said. Gros will be a future role-player for the National Team, I truly believe this. Gros will be what Benny would have been if it weren't for the injury.

Nicky is great for us, but just not cut out as a GK on the International stage. Especially with so many good American keepers.

22. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Namoff is a casualty of the 3-5-2. It seems to me that Bruce wants a midfielder at the wingback position so that he can overload the flanks. Namoff hasn't been able to run up and down the wings getting off crosses because of his defensive responsibilities in Nowak's system so Bruce hasn't really seen much offense from Bryan. If he ever gets a call and has a regular run in the team I'm more than confident he'd be the 1st choice right back for a long time to come.

23. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    wingback is a midfield position. do you mean fullback?

24. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Give me a break Wolff sucks.

The man hardly strikes terror into anyone these days, and you can't blame "Bunker" Gansler for that either.

25. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, wingback is a flank defender that gets forward from his defensive position. What we Americans refer to as a fullback is a defender in a flat back four. I used to play as a wingback in a 4-4-2 and my job was to get forward on offense. Now that we play a 3-5-2, I have to stay at home as a marking back. I also played as a "fullback" in a more defensive shell/counterattacking scheme.

Why do we call defenders and midfielders full and half back? Are we still peering through the prism of American football?